Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein shakes versus protein

Options
  • 01-09-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Are you better of taking protein shakes (such as whey protein) or eating protein after gym workouts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Either or mate.

However the whey is faster and easier for just after the workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

thanks....is whey the recommened product?
    have you used soya protein isolate?
    does that do the same as whey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

food is recommended over whey, whey is just a supplement used in conjunction with your diet to fill in the stuff you're not getting. if you get enough protein without whey then you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭pachey100

I would use whey after a workout just for the convenience of it really and its faster absorption rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

thebourke wrote: »
    thanks....is whey the recommened product?
    have you used soya protein isolate?
    does that do the same as whey?
    Does it do the same as Whey. Yes. It provide protein, just like all the other sources.
    Does it do it the the same way, no. Different proteins are digested at different speeds.
    food is recommended over whey, whey is just a supplement used in conjunction with your diet to fill in the stuff you're not getting. if you get enough protein without whey then you don't need it.

I disagree.
    Whey is food. There is no difference.
    In terms of overall diet, getting your protein from only whole food sources is fine, as it will naturally provide varied sources. But saying food is recomended over whey post exercise is wrong as food is such a broad name. Faster absorbed proteins are prefered immediately post exercise. So that's foods such as whey or milk ( milk is essentially whey too). Milk is prob better as it will replenish carbs.
    But protein from some whole foods are slowly absorbed like cottage cheese, or egg (at least raw, now sure about cooked)

Ideally, imo
    Have a small amount of whey, or milk (chocolate milk is win too) immediately post workout. Then have a proper protein rich meal shortly after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Ella_Watson

A whey protein shake is my easy go-to routine after my gym workout. Consuming protein is also good, but I prefer protein shakes as they work faster and fulfill my body's requirements. Although I also maintain a protein-rich diet daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ella_Watson

Yes i totally agree with you, protein shakes best option after gym workout

Advertisement