Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you spend your SSIA payout from FF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

I was too young by 3 weeks to do a SSIA!!!

You had to 18 by September 2002 i think it was and i wasen't till October :mad:

On the plus side i'm probably one of the youngest to post on this thread so i'll leave all you oldies alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I actually think it may have been a case of doing the right thing (encouraging saving) at the wrong time for the wrong reasons (to buy an election).

The stuff about it being a transfer from the poor to the rich is overblown. The minimum amounts werent that high and I know people who barely had a pot to piss in who had one. The same people were smart enough though to see the whole thing for what it was and come election day they gave votes and transfer to every candidate on the ballot paper except the FF'ers

Mind you the originally stated reason for establishing the scheme (controlling inflation) was a pile of shyte. It doesnt take a degree in economics to figure out that the only effect (if any) it was going to have on inflation was to delay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    ...The same people were smart enough though to see the whole thing for what it was and come election day they gave votes and transfer to every candidate on the ballot paper except the FF'ers

So FF didn't win that general election on a landslide by campaigning on the idea of maintaining a stable economy?

Wow, What is life like in your dimension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Didn't spend it. Still have it sitting there ready to buy Co. Leitrim when the property market collapses completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Spacedog wrote: »
    I couldn't afford to open an SSIA and was a little cynical about the payout timed before an election, but it's a good example of FF re-enforcing the divisions in society and keeping the gap between the haves and have-nots.

I recall people pondering what they were going to spend their payout on. eddie hobbs and banks suggesting investment plans, houses, cars etc.

So... what you spend it on? ...and who did you vote for in the following election?

I spent it on a downpayment on my mortgage, it was a great scheme and you just sound pissed off that you didnt join it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I paid off a loan.

Very handy so it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Laser eye surgury

Money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 23,272 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I didnt have an ssia. I put the few quid I had to work and Im still living off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I couldn't afford to open an SSIA and was a little cynical about the payout timed before an election, but it's a good example of FF re-enforcing the divisions in society and keeping the gap between the haves and have-nots.

I recall people pondering what they were going to spend their payout on. eddie hobbs and banks suggesting investment plans, houses, cars etc.

So... what you spend it on? ...and who did you vote for in the following election?

Still have it, didn't spend a penny. Couldn't afford the full amount though, was young!
    First time i've ever saved, being saving since.
    Got married after that and rolled it in with the Mrs, who also didn't spent it and saved.
    Dont be fooled though still enjoy a great life, two holidays a year, weekends away, meals out, a few beers now and then. Just grew up a little and made our money work for us.
    Also quit smoking and that pays all motoring expenses including new car purchases.
    Then got made redundant, rolled it in with my redundancy money and so hopefully in 10 years will have enough to pay off our tracker mortgage.
    And if rumors are to be believed banks will be offering money to get us off our trackers.

More Free money happy days!!!!!!!!!!!

Also been putting away all my kids money they recieve including gifts from friends family etc, 3k a year roughly. Suprising but comforting for their future also.

Always vote for the Blue shirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I spent it on a downpayment on my mortgage, it was a great scheme and you just sound pissed off that you didnt join it.

Who'd you vote for?

I notice a lot of people answering the first question, but not the second one.

like this:

1 bought a speetboat
    I voted for FF

or

I put a deposit on a house,
    I voted Sinn Fein

or

I bought a load of sweets and a bouncy castle
    I voted for the Green Party.

Considering the result of the following election, I can only assume that well over half the people who posted in this thread are the people who voted for FF, and now can't bring themselves to admit responsibility for their stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Didn't get one, I was spending all my money and more building a house, I had nothing left to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Who'd you vote for?

I notice a lot of people answering the first question, but not the second one.

like this:

1 bought a speetboat
    I voted for FF

or

I put a deposit on a house,
    I voted Sinn Fein

or

I bought a load of sweets and a bouncy castle
    I voted for the Green Party.

Considering the result of the following election, I can only assume that well over half the people who posted in this thread are the people who voted for FF, and now can't bring themselves to admit responsibility for their stupidity.

Ive no problem answering your question, i voted FF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Didn't sign up for one either, at the time I was saving for a deposit for a house and didn't want to wait until it matured, put the deposit down on my house just after my 21st birthday. Would have had to wait anther three years on the scheme, by which time I would have lost out on the first time buyers grant and the houses would have jumped up in price so didnt lose out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

mines gone ten fold to Anglo et al via taxes after ff fcuked up the country.
    I voted labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I got married with it. Thanks Charlie McCreevy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I paid off my mortgage and it's none of your ****ing business who i voted for. My savings don't influence my voting patterns (and it wasn't FF).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I invested mine wisely on AIB shares :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was too young and the parents couldn't afford one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

phasers wrote: »
    I was too young and the parents couldn't afford one.
    Couldn't afford €12 a month? €3 a week? less than 50c a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Dotrel wrote: »
    Didn't spend it. Still have it sitting there ready to buy Co. Leitrim when the property market collapses completely.

Leitrim you say ? would you be interested in Cavan and Roscommon ?...could even do a bit of ethnic cleansing if you're interested...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No, they couldn't. They had 5 young kids and my Dad didn't earn much. They started one but stuff kept coming up. my brother neededglasses, then I broke my wrist, then it was schoolbook time again. Is there something wrong with that? Can you not accept that some people really do barely make ends meet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

phasers wrote: »
    No, they couldn't. They had 5 young kids and my Dad didn't earn much. They started one but stuff kept coming up. my brother neededglasses, then I broke my wrist, then it was schoolbook time again. Is there something wrong with that? Can you not accept that some people really do barely make ends meet?
    Couldn't care less tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I paid €5,000 for a photo with Brian Cowen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Paid off student and car loan, some money owed to my folks and the rest deposited into a (very) sh1tty PIP scheme with AIB.

I liked the SSIAs, overall a very good way of getting people to save and possibly save into the future. Yes they contributed to high inflation circa 2006-2007 but they were a drop in ocean for same. With or without them, the country would still be frizzled right now.

I long for another round of them TBH. Would be fantastic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I think in reality it was fifty or sixty euro per week, to make it worthwhile. think about it if were 12 per month that would be 144 per year, which wouldnt even give you 600 at the end of it. I could be wrong tho but it was a lot more than 12 euro per month

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Still have mine sitting in an account until the day houses become affordable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I invested/saved the full amount and at the end of it i used it to pay off the loan i had taken out to buy a car and pay off a credit card bill that i ran up as a result of putting away 200 a month that i couldnt really afford to do at the time.

Didnt bother voting in the following election...and got away with it.....Muwahahahahaha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I saved mine for a further few years after it matured and then used it as part of my house deposit.

... and it had no effect on who I voted for!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It paid for my wedding.

And yes, I did keep the receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

i stuck it up my nose.

Advertisement