Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.N Were to bestow Human Rights award on Gaddafi in March

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

I see, so you think its a good thing then

Right. Didnt take much to bring down the tone of this thread did it. Two pages of comments and you show up with...nitpickery !!
    "Ah here, there wasn't much effort needed to demonize someone who acted like Gadaffi"
    . :rolleyes:

I mean how would you know really ? If there was a demonization against Gaddafi, you would have been and clearly have been taken in by it. The folks who say he's a dictator, he sponsors terrorism etc, are the ones who benefit by it. They are also the one who are supporting terrorism to destroy Gaddafi. They are the ones killing Libyan civilians.

I have Libyan relatives and friends of friends who are Libyan and none of those have the same view of Gaddafi as you do, or the folks at NATO or indeed our good friends in the Media do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Right. Didnt take much to bring down the tone of this thread did it. Two pages of comments and you show up with...nitpickery !!

I mean how would you know really ? If there was a demonization against Gaddafi, you would have been and clearly have been taken in by it. The folks who say he's a dictator, he sponsors terrorism etc, are the ones who benefit by it. They are also the one who are supporting terrorism to destroy Gaddafi. They are the ones killing Libyan civilians.

I have Libyan relatives and friends of friends who are Libyan and none of those have the same view of Gaddafi as you do, or the folks at NATO or indeed our good friends in the Media do.

So what's their opinion then? I suppose the terrorist attacks, wars and terrorist funding attributed to Libya during his reign didn't happen either, all just made up :rolleyes:

So what's their opinion then? I suppose the terrorist attacks, wars and terrorist funding attributed to Libya during his reign didn't happen either, all just made up :rolleyes:

Perhaps they were humanitairan attacks, maybe they were for the greater good. Seems to be a pretty popular alternative to the word terrorism these days. I wonder where he got the arms to have committed these supposed attacks?. A recent leaked cable suggests John Mc Cain promised arms to Gaddafi in 2009, so I guess really it's the U.S sponsoring the terrorism if you dig deep enough but it's grand coz now theyre on a humanitarian mission. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

anyone else fid it Odd that they are

Arming and working with Members of Al Qaieda in Libya

Bombing the Snot out of and fighting a War against Al Qaieda in Afghanistan & Iraq

ust sayin like, if they are Terrorists then NATO are guilty of the same things Quathaffi is accused of

I do:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Are you suggesting that Gaddafi isn't a dictator?

Who are the terrorists and who is supporting them? they are "terrorists" by what measure?

When you mention the media, do you mean specific outlets or do you mean every media outlet in the world? I never get that generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are the nations that kindly handed arms to untrained civilians planning on taking those weapons back? I don't see how a peaceful transition is ever going to happen considering that there are countless disparate and factional groups of armed 'rebels' all vying for power. They're already slaying each other and carrying out human rights abuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

anyone else fid it Odd that they are

Arming and working with Members of Al Qaieda in Libya

Bombing the Snot out of and fighting a War against Al Qaieda in Afghanistan & Iraq

ust sayin like, if they are Terrorists then NATO are guilty of the same things Quathaffi is accused of

Some members of the rebels have been linked with Islamic hardliners, foreign fighters who fought the Americans in Iraq, and reportedly Al Qaeda (one guy in particular was renditioned by the CIA, interesting story), basically though its a fairly small proportion of the rebels.

'Small Proportion' or not its still a glaring inconsistency

Perhaps they were humanitairan attacks, maybe they were for the greater good. Seems to be a pretty popular alternative to the word terrorism these days. I wonder where he got the arms to have committed these supposed attacks?. A recent leaked cable suggests John Mc Cain promised arms to Gaddafi in 2009, so I guess really it's the U.S sponsoring the terrorism if you dig deep enough but it's grand coz now theyre on a humanitarian mission. :rolleyes:

Who's greater good, Gadaffis? How is blowing up 270 people in the Lockerbie bombings for any greater good?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

'Small Proportion' or not its still a glaring inconsistency

The world isn't black and white. What were they supposed to do, not arm all of the rebels because a small portion had extremist ideology?

Who's greater good, Gadaffis? How is blowing up 270 people in the Lockerbie bombings for any greater good?

It depends, from the greater good of whoever ordered or carried out the bombing I suppose. I'm guessing you think Gaddafi ordered it, no huge surprise there since there has been a smear campaign against him for decades.

An Iraqi wouldnt think it's for the greater good that over 1,000,000 of his Countrymen have been indiscriminately murdered by the U.S, but folk in the U.S (and some folk on this forum).

It's all about perspective, I guess.

Di0genes wrote: »
    The world isn't black and white. What were they supposed to do, not arm all of the rebels because a small portion had extremist ideology?

They should have mind their own business.

It depends, from the greater good of whoever ordered or carried out the bombing I suppose. I'm guessing you think Gaddafi ordered it, no huge surprise there since there has been a smear campaign against him for decades.

An Iraqi wouldnt think it's for the greater good that over 1,000,000 of his Countrymen have been indiscriminately murdered by the U.S, but folk in the U.S (and some folk on this forum).

It's all about perspective, I guess.

Libya basically admitted doing it. Who supplied weapons to the IRA and other organizations?

The US hasn't murdered 1,000,000 people.

Libya was Giving weapons to Percieved enemies of the 'Evil Empires' in much the same way as America was arming 'Friendly Dictators'

Do you think it's a good thing?

Libya basically admitted doing it.

Basically ?

They did or they didnt?.

They didnt.
    Who supplied weapons to the IRA and other organizations?

Again, it's a matter of perspective. The IRA dont consider themselves terrorists.
    The US hasn't murdered 1,000,000 people.

Ok then it's only 111,861 ;)

Whats the difference between Libya arming the IRA in the eighties & NATO Arming and providing Air support for the Libyan 'rebels' in 2011?????

Serious Question

Basically ?

They did or they didnt?.

They didnt.

Again, it's a matter of perspective. The IRA dont consider themselves terrorists.

Ok then it's only 111,861 ;)

They did.
    And how many of these deaths are at the hands of the US military, as opposed to insurgents?

They did.
    And how many of these deaths are at the hands of the US military, as opposed to insurgents?

On the basis that they armed Saddam to begin with and subsequently invaded Iraq, I would say all and many many more deaths are at the hands of the U.S. directly or indirectly.

Gaddafi never claimed responsibility for Lockerbie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement