Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Willow Warbler - Unable to fly

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Folks,

A Willow Warbler just flew into our patio door. The cat went for him (assuming male) but I managed to get out in time to fend her off.

He seems to be fairly alert, his legs seem ok, but he doesn't seem to be able too fly much, other than little spurts no more than a foot or two off the ground.

I have him in a tub at the moment and I was wondering what to do with him. I'd hate to leave him back outside as he'll end up been eaten by a cat.

Appreciate your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I came across the link below and have put him in a shoe box with some food and water... so hopefully he might come around.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580181

I actually think he's a Chiffchaff... his legs are brown and not pink.

He's chilling out in a shoe box at the moment. I'm hoping he'll recover and take off later on. Fingers crossed.

6095867495_b611a91c8b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If he is just stunned he should be ok within 45 minutes. Put the box outside(cat indoors of course) and see how he gets on.

Thanks for the reply.

I had spotted another Chiffchaff rooting around in the nearby ditch so I left him outside in the box near the ditch.

He eventually hopped out and up through the brambles on the ditch.

Not sure he can fly properly but hopefully he'll hook up with his pal and find his way home.

At least he wasn't eaten by the cat.

Cheers

Advertisement