Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured bird - What to do?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

An interesting looking bird fell out of a tree while I was in the garden today. It can't seem to fly and there are hungry cats around the place. Is there any vet or somebody I could call to help it? What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You'll have to pay the vet to treat it and not all will treat wild birds. If I was you I'd stick it in a shoe box with some grass and leave it.

If the cats get it, just call it nature =p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

We looked after many birds that where injured as kids, if you have a downstairs bathroom or something like that, see if you can let him live there for a few days-give him food and water and see if his wings recover.

i could not leave it out for the cats, or other birds.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

No need for a vet; that would at this stage stress it more.

It can be rescued immediately.

Gently bring it into a dark box; a shoebox or anything is fine. Leave space for air.

With something soft in the box; tissues eg.

Put some food and water in.

and leave it in peace a while, quiet and in the dark.

It will sleep and heal.

Birds can and do recover when kept quiet and in the dark. We have done this so many times.

Let us know?

Camarague wrote: »
    An interesting looking bird fell out of a tree while I was in the garden today. It can't seem to fly and there are hungry cats around the place. Is there any vet or somebody I could call to help it? What should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

You coulld google and try and identify what type it is as they all have different requirements.

If you call the wildlife ranger he will be able to assist in what to do with it.

I've had sea gulls in the bath, black crows in the bedroom (when little) and once took a magpie to work in a cage ( rescued from cat )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

I wish I had seen your replies earlier.

I called one of the vet emergency lines and I was told to put it back in its nest if possible. This, they told me, was its only hope of survival. Unfortunately its nest was inaccessible.

It has secluded itself in vegetation to the extend that I can't find it anymore.

There are cats around, as I mentioned earlier. But if rats can survive around here, hopefully that bird can as well. It is quite heavy so it should be able to survive a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Oh I was told do that with the magpie I found. It came from the jaws of a cat! Just leave it outside the woman said. Yeah, right. And moggy sat there licking his lips. some people are of the opinion, let it take it's chances. If it dies it dies. Sad.

Advertisement