Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Celica for a first car??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Thanks for all the replies :) Just back from viewing the Coupe, in two minds! I really wish I was a bit more knowledgeable because I don't want to mess the seller around either! :/ All been very helpful though thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

CarMe wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies :) Just back from viewing the Coupe, in two minds! I really wish I was a bit more knowledgeable because I don't want to mess the seller around either! :/ All been very helpful though thanks!

Hyundai Coupes may look the part, but....aren't.

ottostreet wrote: »
    Hyundai Coupes may look the part, but....aren't.

Thanks, I'm really not sure what to do. I just want to be sure it's a car I can learn in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Which model in particular were you after? Prices have dropped significantly & big variety in the models. There are Irish(GT) & Imports(SS) models of the gen 6 (94-99) or VVTI(140) & vvtli(190) 99-06 so what have you got quoted on Insurance for the 1400?? Not a bad price at all for a beginner in a celica.
    If you do buy make sure you join the club for any queries or advise. :)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Which model in particular were you after? Prices have dropped significantly & big variety in the models. There are Irish(GT) & Imports(SS) models of the gen 6 (94-99) or VVTI(140) & vvtli(190) 99-06 so what have you got quoted on Insurance for the 1400?? Not a bad price at all for a beginner in a celica.
    If you do buy make sure you join the club for any queries or advise. :)

Thanks Bronson :) It's actually the Coupe I'm thinking about buying http://www.carsireland.ie/make/hyundai/coupe/detail.php?ad_id=691359&r=s.php%3Fm%3D34%26o%3D302%26g%3D0
    I've gotten the owner down to €700 but when I enter the reg in http://www.carsireland.ie/make/hyundai/coupe/detail.php?ad_id=691359&r=s.php%3Fm%3D34%26o%3D302%26g%3D0 it doesnt come up so I'm worried something is dodgy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Thanks Bronson :) It's actually the Coupe I'm thinking about buying http://www.carsireland.ie/make/hyundai/coupe/detail.php?ad_id=691359&r=s.php%3Fm%3D34%26o%3D302%26g%3D0
    I've gotten the owner down to €700 but when I enter the reg in http://www.carsireland.ie/make/hyundai/coupe/detail.php?ad_id=691359&r=s.php%3Fm%3D34%26o%3D302%26g%3D0 it doesnt come up so I'm worried something is dodgy?

ya its coming up as a Lantra, its nctd as lantra aswell, i dont know something abit dodgy going on there alright

pudzey101 wrote: »
    ya its coming up as a Lantra, its nctd as lantra aswell, i dont know something abit dodgy going on there alright

Aw I had a funny feeling in my gut about it and about the fellas (who wanted to meet in a car park) urgh, bad start to my car hunt :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Aw I had a funny feeling in my gut about it and about the fellas (who wanted to meet in a car park) urgh, bad start to my car hunt :(

FFS bring a good mechanic with you that you trust and dont get stung..

im no expert on cars, but maybe calling to your local garda station and see if the car was ever blacklisted or if the people or selling are genuine, nice car for the money imo:)

pudzey101 wrote: »
    im no expert on cars, but maybe calling to your local garda station and see if the car was ever blacklisted or if the people or selling are genuine, nice car for the money imo:)

I just rang there and the Gard told me it was grand, gave me the right type and description etc. I'm probably just being over cautious cos seems like too good a deal!

• Advertisement

I just rang there and the Gard told me it was grand, gave me the right type and description etc. I'm probably just being over cautious cos seems like too good a deal!

next step now is get mechanic to go with you to do quick check everything is ok, ask him to help you bargain down more in price too, let us know how u get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

if the insurance price isn't an issue, then go for a celica, if you get a good celica, it would be a far superior car to any hyundai

tvercetti wrote: »
    if the insurance price isn't an issue, then go for a celica, if you get a good celica, it would be a far superior car to any hyundai

That's what has me iffy to agree to buying the Coupe, yet being my first car I'd be scared of damaging the Celica, eek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

go on get the celica, you know you want to, then you can bring your celica and I can bring my celica on a celica date and live happily ever after, or maybe we could just take the one and save on petrol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

OP you're like my twin! I'm a young female on my provisional with feck all driving experience, and I too have fallen in love with the Celica! My boyfriend is doing all he can to put me off buying one though, he's pushing me towards the Hyundai Coupe too, since it would be my next favourite after the Celica. He says that insurance on the Coupe shouldn't be QUITE as high as on the Celica...I still really want my Celica though, I think they're an absolutely gorgeous car for the price! Keep us updated here on what you go for and how you get on, I'd be really interested to hear! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Whats the quote?

If you can get your hands on a 1.8 celica it shouldnt be too bad either.

I was quoted 1400 on a 1.8

That better be fully comp with all the extras if not that quote is too high. And don't worry about anything happening in the celica while learning, if it's the car your gettin get it, book block of lessons run half of them in the instructors car while your sorting all out on the celica, then take the other half of the lessons in the celica when ya have it all road legal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That's what has me iffy to agree to buying the Coupe, yet being my first car I'd be scared of damaging the Celica, eek!!

If you want a Celica and end up buying the Hyuiyuuiyuyndai, you will regret it!
    Granted, any prang in the Hyundai is probably an improvement, but why buy something you didn't really want?
    A 1.8 Celica is hardly going to be a dangerous, snorting monster to drive, so if you can, go for it!
    Plus, Toyotas are not really known for breaking down every 5 yards or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I had a Celica (91 Jap import ST182) for my third car, having gone from a 1.2 Vauxhall Astra, then a 1.4 Clio then to the 2.0 Celica. I found out what it was like to drive a real car then!

OP, if you can manage the running costs, then I say go for it (just don't quite floor it for a while and you'll be fine). You will be an expert at parallel parking after a month or so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Hiya,
    I'm a 23yr old female with just a provisional licence and no driving experiance whatsoever, I'm eager to learn and will get lots of lessons.

In my search for a car, I've come across the Toyota Celica which I now have my heart set on but friends and my boyfriend etc think it's crazy to get a car like this as a first car, although I've found some as cheap as €800.

Can anyone give me any reasons why I should or shouldn't get one?
    All answers much appreciated.

computer says no.

your premium would be LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Lads seriously its her first car a celica would be too hard for her to learn in,my first car was a 1.5 asti and that was easy enough so she should go for a hyundai coupe and then move onto the celica.

1.She will save money on insurance,petrol
    2.coupe is nowhere near the power of a celica
    3.less garda attention:p

Keep us informed OP that coupe you linked us looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay...

I heard on boards.ie that 1.8 is a big engined car.

Now I hear that celica is a powerful car!!!!

Seriuosly, she is not looking at gt4 version of it, but a bog standart 1.8 and 2.0. Cellica is a big fat child with saloon engine. It's not a fast car! You can kill yourself in 1.2 if you are an idiot.

Only issue I can see: insurance. Insurance companies can refuse to qoute you, thought you don't have a pair of balls, so you might get away with it.

My first car was Mazda 626 2.0. It was not a fast car. I didn't die...

Amount of nannies... Jesus fecking crist....

Advertisement