Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuously being pulled over due to "boy racer" style car

Options
  • 25-08-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

In the last year I purchased a Toyota Celica - basic model, no extras however it does have tinted windows.

I am female, 28, this is my 6th car in ten years, my first of this style, I have no previous road traffic convictions (or any convictions for that matter), I would consider myself a safe driver, no crashes ever, no insurance claims etc.

I purchased the car because I liked the look of it and the colour, I know nothing technical about cars, I also feel no need to speed.

In the last year I have been pulled over on 6 occassions, once by detectives who took my licence went back to their car and in fairness politely enough told me it was mis-identification.

Next experience wasn't as nice, had a male Garda shout quiet abusively through my window (at a checkpoint) asking if I knew the rules of the road and when I answered a question correctly he said, word for word "well I am checking your tax and insurance now and if you dont have them I will do you for that", I was ok though because all of my discs were up to date.

Then, another occassion at a checkpoint, two female Garda stopped me and asked me to get out of the car under the missuse of drugs act and proceeded to search me and my passenger. Again they found nothing and let me go.

Other couple of times similar stories.

I am actually quiet nervous now when I am approached by a Garda even though I have done nothing wrong ..except chose the wrong model of car it seems! Last few times I have gone away shaking as the Garda were not very nice to me.

I am currently now trying to sell this car as it is causing me so much hassle :(

My question is, has anybody else felt discriminated against because of their choice in car?

And I am guessing there is no option except sell the car? One friend suggested if I was to encounter another abusive Garda to politely tell them I was going to record them on my phone, can't see that going down well though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Get rid of the tint. It's most likely illegal anyway. That should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 nocheerleader

Seanbeag1 wrote: »

Funny enough no garda has ever had a problem or mentioned it but if it helps I will be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I thought they would need a warrant to search your car no?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its sounds like it has nothing to do with the tint.

Your car may have been entered into Pulse as a previous drug envolvement. This would have to be updated by the Gardai as you will continue to be pulled over.

There may be a marker on the car by Registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Maybe its not the car, but the regplate? Remove the tint and change the regplate..JMHO I have no idea whats involved changing a plate though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Fol20 wrote: »

Honest people let them check, saves time in the long run

They never searched the car, they asked me to get out and then searched me, as I had nothing to hide I went along with it. They just shone a torch into the car. I actually was curious as to why they didn't search it, maybe that's the answer.

Funny enough no garda has ever had a problem or mentioned it but if it helps I will be happy!

Traffic units now have devices for measuring the tint level and have begun prosecuting for window tints. The car will also fail the nct with tinted windows. You could also call to the local station and ask if there is any particular reason you get pulled over. Your car may have previously been owned by a known criminal and the Garda might be willing to note the change of ownership on the vehicles record.

listermint wrote: »

Your car may have been entered into Pulse as a previous drug envolvement. This would have to be updated by the Gardai as you will continue to be pulled over.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know things like this happened. Do you know if I can have this information updated/removed from the system? The car has 6 previous owners so this is a likely explanation.

Thanks for the helpful information guys. I can always rely on Boards when I need suggestions for a solution to an issue that I have hit a dead end with.

I am currently googling garages that remove tints and will go to my local station later to make an enquiry about the car and see what they suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

listermint wrote: »

I think both are real possibilities. A tint generally makes it look like you've got something to hide and when combined with a car that's associated with boy racers, I wouldn't be surprised if Gardai are drawn subconsciously to inspect them more closely at a checkpoint.

If you're getting pulled over a lot (rather than being questioned at checkpoints), then I would be inclined to say that there's more to the car than just it's type. I'm not sure if you can change reg plates all that easily. You could call down to the local station with your ID and your vehicle licensing certificate (to prove that it's you who owns the car), explain the situation to them and ask if the vehicle is flagged in pulse or whatever.

I'm actually not sure if Gardai can do that on request, but if they can't you could go down the road of asking a Garda mate to check for you.
    Under the misuse of drugs act, a Garda can search a person or a vehicle without warrant if they have reason to suspect that there might be drugs present on the person or the vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Thanks for the helpful information guys. I can always rely on Boards when I need suggestions for a solution to an issue that I have hit a dead end with.

I am currently googling garages that remove tints and will go to my local station later to make an enquiry about the car and see what they suggest.

You could do it yourself, you know. Here's a tutorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its probably popping up as a car of interest on the automatic reg reader, If anyone got caught with even a nodge of hash inside the car it will go onto Pulse, But I reckon its none of the above, I reckon its just the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Seanbeag1 wrote: »

I don't understand. If the tint is illegal don't the garda have equipment to test for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I don't understand. If the tint is illegal don't the garda have equipment to test for that?

Window tint on the front two windows that blocks more than 35% light is illegal.

I would 100% back the idea that the car was used previously in some activities that brought it to the attention of the cops.

My advice would be to arrange a meeting with the local traffic corps seargent or failing that the local inspector. Bring all your details and they will put a note in the system to say the car now has a new owner.

My brother went through all of this in Limerick when he bought a car when he was 18.. eventually my father went into the garda station and did what i instructed above. He wasnt pulled over again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

If the NCT passed the Tint leave it alone if you are happy with it. I have a medical eye condition that i have to wear dark glasses in strong sunlight so the tint serves a purpose for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

seamus wrote: »

Under the misuse of drugs act, a Garda can search a person or a vehicle without warrant if they have reason to suspect that there might be drugs present on the person or the vehicle.

What! That would allow Gardai search your car for whatever reason possible. For example in the movies youd always see a cop going up to a door and saying "oh i hear a scream, we have to rescue them :rolleyes:"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What! That would allow Gardai search your car for whatever reason possible.
    Well not for "whatever reason possible". They would still need to have some kind of reasoning why they believe that drugs may be in the vehicle.

What! That would allow Gardai search your car for whatever reason possible. For example in the movies youd always see a cop going up to a door and saying "oh i hear a scream, we have to rescue them :rolleyes:"

It is very important to use American cinema as your reference point for all legal matters. Otherwise what's the point in even considering the law? I can handle the truth by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can handle the truth by the way.
    No you can't. You can't handle the truth. Its an abstract noun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Make two complaints.
    The first to the Garda Ombudsman and the second to the Equality Tribunal(on the basis of age). Whichever response you get first, copy it and keep in the glove compartment of the car. Hand it to the next power-hungry A**hole who raises their voice at you.
    If the tinted glass was an actual problem, they would deal with it and you would know. If the car history is a problem, they would do likewise. You are being hassled by power-hungry A**holes who don't know the job.

OR

Give in and sell the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Make two complaints.
    The first to the Garda Ombudsman and the second to the Equality Tribunal(on the basis of age). Whichever response you get first, copy it and keep in the glove compartment of the car. Hand it to the next power-hungry A**hole who raises their voice at you.
    If the tinted glass was an actual problem, they would deal with it and you would know. If the car history is a problem, they would do likewise. You are being hassled by power-hungry A**holes who don't know the job.

OR

Rubbish for option 1. The Garda are within their rights to stop and search and there is no evidence of "power hungry" actions at all. I suspect a drugs issue relating to the car as this has been mentioned several times. We want an end to the Drugs problem surely and the Gardai were only doing their duty.
    As a poster already said it is probably a Pulse issue and the car is "suspect" through the activities of a previous owner. What the OP needs to do is go to the local Garda Station and report that she is now the regd owner and get the Pulse details erased.
    No big problem i would imagine.

Make two complaints.

OR

So your advice is to make two frivolous complaints to government bodies in an attempt to intimidate a Garda from doing his job? Yes, I can't see any problem with that.

Victor wrote: »
    No you can't. You can't handle the truth. Its an abstract noun.

It's it's not its!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

MagicSean wrote: »
    Make two complaints.

OR

So your advice is to make two frivolous complaints to government bodies in an attempt to intimidate a Garda from doing his job? Yes, I can't see any problem with that.

Well is it within a Garda's job to pulled in someone and intimidate them as referenced by the OP?

Surely any member of the Gardai would have the intelligence to differentiate between a vehicle acting suspiously and a vehicle going about their daily business. Surely it isn't too much to ask for these public bodies to calibrate the record of a change of ownership and registration of a car without the individual having to push the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

slingerz wrote: »
    Make two complaints.

OR

Well is it within a Garda's job to pulled in someone and intimidate them as referenced by the OP?

Surely any member of the Gardai would have the intelligence to differentiate between a vehicle acting suspiously and a vehicle going about their daily business. Surely it isn't too much to ask for these public bodies to calibrate the record of a change of ownership and registration of a car without the individual having to push the matter

3 points:

How can the state know of the change of ownership, if the original owner does not inform the state?

Describe for me what a suspicious car looks like, and how it differs from one going about their daily business.

Many people. Feel intimidated talking to Gardai, it doesn't always mean the member is being aggressive or intimidating. People are generally nervous and intimidated when pulled over by Garda, it's natural to feel threatened by someone in a position of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Next experience wasn't as nice, had a male Garda shout quiet abusively through my window (at a checkpoint) asking if I knew the rules of the road and when I answered a question correctly he said, word for word "well I am checking your tax and insurance now and if you dont have them I will do you for that", I was ok though because all of my discs were up to date.

So eh...that's how he should do his job is it ?

Reloc8 wrote: »
    So eh...that's how he should do his job is it ?

Maybe you didn't read my post correctly but I doubt it. The posters idea was to make a complaint for the purpose of trying to intimidate the next Garda who stopped him with a copy of that complaint. Nothing to do with the post you highlighted. But I'm sure you knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Maybe you didn't read my post correctly but I doubt it. The posters idea was to make a complaint for the purpose of trying to intimidate the next Garda who stopped him with a copy of that complaint. Nothing to do with the post you highlighted. But I'm sure you knew that.

I read your post correctly.

What I highlighted in your post is that you said a complaint to the Ombudsman would, in the circumstances described by the OP, be frivolous, which is wrong.

• Advertisement

Reloc8 wrote: »
    I read your post correctly.

What I highlighted in your post is that you said a complaint to the Ombudsman would, in the circumstances described by the OP, be frivolous, which is wrong.

A complaint for the sole purpose of intimidating the next Garda would be a frivilous complaint.

Advertisement