Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone/iPod/iPad repairs

• 25-08-2011 2:41pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm hoping the mods will turn this into a sticky, as it is being asked time after time.

Repair options: For repair under warranty Apple will collect and return free of charge using UPS. Repair can be organised via the Apple website here:
    https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do or by calling Apple tech Support directly:1850 946 191

Apple will fix product failure under warranty, not accidental damage.

Repair cost for a broken screen on an iPhone is usually €211, after that its BER (Beyond Economic Repair)

There are some place around that offer out of warranty repairs, so we should put up a sticky that shows the options in various parts of the country.

Please add to this thread citing company, contact details, where they are etc.

I trust this is ok with the Mods?

Note: this thread is for customer recommendations only. Spamming the thread with fake recommendations for your own product or service will result in a ban.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Repair cost for a broken screen on an iPhone is usually €211, after that its BER (Beyond Economic Repair)
    Unless something has changed in recent times this isn't true. Most damage can be fixed out as paid out of warranty repairs, not just screen repairs. In cases where replacing a single part isn't feasible it is replaced with a potentially refurbished device. The actual cost of the repair may vary depending on the work that needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

sxt wrote: »
    How do you mean ? The Ipod , Iphone , and Ipad are all Apple products . The companies that I linked are all authorized and endorsed on the Official Apple website to repair Apple products in Ireland ...
    Authorised repair centres don't deal with any iOS devices, only some iPod models (whereby they can arrange mail service on your behalf) and computer repairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Unless something has changed in recent times this isn't true. Most damage can be fixed out as paid out of warranty repairs, not just screen repairs. In cases where replacing a single part isn't feasible it is replaced with a potentially refurbished device. The actual cost of the repair may vary depending on the work that needs to be done.

I've only seen the €211 quoted by apple for screen damage, no other choice. Cheaper repairs are available for headphone jack etc, AFAIR.
    Historically this is the way Apple worked, I.e. X for a logic board, y for a screen etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

www.galmac.ie
    www.ipod-rescue.com
    www.irepair.ie

Never used any of them, just passing on the links....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Had iPhone 3G screen replaced for €50 in a shop on St. Great George's St not too long ago. It's the place beside Hogans pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hellotoyou123

snollup wrote: »
    Had iPhone 3G screen replaced for €50 in a shop on St. Great George's St not too long ago. It's the place beside Hogans pub.

Just back from that place, got my screen and button fixed for €105. Was pretty happy with them, they turned it around in an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Has anyone used http://www.iphonerepairireland.ie?

I'm waiting to send my phone away to them. Has to be by registered post so I fear it'll take a long time to turnaround. If I could just walk into somewhere in the city (or preferably near Dun Laoghaire) and have it back within a few hours than that'd be preferable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

AdMMM wrote: »
    Has anyone used http://www.iphonerepairireland.ie?

I'm waiting to send my phone away to them. Has to be by registered post so I fear it'll take a long time to turnaround. If I could just walk into somewhere in the city (or preferably near Dun Laoghaire) and have it back within a few hours than that'd be preferable.
    registered post is next day once posted by lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

If you're a bit handy you can replace any part on an iphone yourself. The back slides off after undoing the 2 screws on the bottom of the phone. Parts are widely available, one example is www.dealextreme.com How-to's can be found on youtube. It might affect your warranty, but if yours is expired or in case of accidental damage then this should not matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Hi,

I damaged iPad2 about a week ago. It slipped down the couch and damaged the volume button.

So I rang Apple and explained exactly what happened. They said no problem, they sent out a box and said either they will repair or send out a new one. Happy Days.

Now they tell me not covered. After 3 people in their customer service centre said it was going to be replaced or fixed. iPad is a month old

Now said will cost 261.. what should I do??

After all they said to me.

jtown wrote: »
    Hi,

I damaged iPad2 about a week ago. It slipped down the couch and damaged the volume button.

So I rang Apple and explained exactly what happened. They said no problem, they sent out a box and said either they will repair or send out a new one. Happy Days.

Now they tell me not covered. After 3 people in their customer service centre said it was going to be replaced or fixed. iPad is a month old

Now said will cost 261.. what should I do??

After all they said to me.

They don't cover accidental damage, and shouldn't have told you they would.

I spoke with at least 3 customer staff saying it was covered and that it would be fixed/ replaced for free. I wouldnt have sent it to them if I knew that. A week already without the iPad

I spoke with at least 3 customer staff saying it was covered and that it would be fixed/ replaced for free. I wouldnt have sent it to them if I knew that. A week already without the iPad

They should have recordings then. Get onto Customer Services and ask them for the recordings. They should be able to get them from the notes on your files of the times you called. Having worked in their Tech Support I'm astounded that 3 people told you something that is blatantly wrong.

whiterebel wrote: »
    They should have recordings then. Get onto Customer Services and ask them for the recordings. They should be able to get them from the notes on your files of the times you called. Having worked in their Tech Support I'm astounded that 3 people told you something that is blatantly wrong.

I work in IT support myself. I said very clearly.. "will this be replaced for free?" I advised exactly what happened and that there was a slight dent on the iPad..

is it worth chasing? I should get them to listen to the calls.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

if the calls were recorded you might stand a chance, but i dont think all of apples calls are recorded tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Apple's repair service is absolute garbage!

I have a problem with the screen there is some strange grey rectangle all around it, sent it to them and they did not fix it and are returning it to me unfixed.

I'm going to send it to them again.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Apple's repair service is absolute garbage!

I have a problem with the screen there is some strange grey rectangle all around it, sent it to them and they did not fix it and are returning it to me unfixed.

I'm going to send it to them again.

What did they say about it to you in the email?

• Advertisement

What did they say about it to you in the email?
    Our technicians have performed full diagnostic checks on your IPHONE 3GS and have been unable to reproduce the symptom(s) you reported when you requested service. As a result of our tests, we can confirm that your product meets Apple specifications for performance, usability, and functionality.

The screen has an obvious problem with it, I've checked several other iPhones, none of them have that gray line, it's visible on dark backgrounds... I knew I should've sent them notes.

There are also dead pixels on it.

Very unimpressed with their service.

The screen has an obvious problem with it, I've checked several other iPhones, none of them have that gray line, it's visible on dark backgrounds... I knew I should've sent them notes.

There are also dead pixels on it.

Very unimpressed with their service.

Thats not good so!

Thats not good so!

Well... I finally received the phone today(Thanks UPS for trying to deliver the phone for 5 days within Dublin) and as expected, nothing has been fixed, the same thing still there...

Here are some picture I took.

Open the pictures in full size, do you see the grey line all around the screen? It's inside the screen, no screen protectors, no area where screen connects to a digitizer.

Check if you have the same on your iPhones...

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2017...older?h=b1e967

Also the gray picture I used is...

http://www.thepentecostalsofowensbor...y-960x1335.jpg

I've checked all my friend's iPhones, 3G, 3GS, 4, none have a similar issue.

Also the phone comes to a CRAWL when I load my apps, and these are mainstream and popular apps too, when I type something I have to type and then wait a few seconds for the text to appear.

Well... I finally received the phone today(Thanks UPS for trying to deliver the phone for 5 days within Dublin) and as expected, nothing has been fixed, the same thing still there...

Here are some picture I took.

Open the pictures in full size, do you see the grey line all around the screen? It's inside the screen, no screen protectors, no area where screen connects to a digitizer.

Check if you have the same on your iPhones...

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2017...older?h=b1e967

Also the gray picture I used is...

http://www.thepentecostalsofowensbor...y-960x1335.jpg

I've checked all my friend's iPhones, 3G, 3GS, 4, none have a similar issue.

Also the phone comes to a CRAWL when I load my apps, and these are mainstream and popular apps too, when I type something I have to type and then wait a few seconds for the text to appear.

Link not working

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cornerforward13

Hi all, I have an iPhone 4, 4 months old, and the flash in the camera has just stopped working. Itorch isnt working any more either so its def something to do with the flash. Phone is under warranty and all that, so I suppose I'll send it back, is this an easily fixed problem?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I have an ipad1 that has taken some water damage. It's still working, but the touch is completely borked. Out of warranty, but Apple wouldn't have fixed it anyway.

So what are my options?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭mihau

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

mihau wrote: »

Have you used them yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Just back from that place, got my screen and button fixed for €105. Was pretty happy with them, they turned it around in an hour and a half.

You don't happen to know the name of the place? Thinking of passing on my old 3G to my gf, but the home button's broken on it. Sounds like the price is right tbh.

Advertisement