Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caffeine Tolerance and IBS

Options
  • 25-08-2011 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi there,

I went on a recovery drink there two weeks ago because I started back trainning and have being suffering from awful abdominal pains ever since. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I went to the pharmacist where I bought the product and he said I have an "Allergic Reaction" to caffeine! IBS runs through my family and I'm already on Zoloft to deal with an anxiety disorder. Does Caffeine have an adverse affect on IBS???

I was just wondering is there anyway of clearing up the inflammation in my bowels caused by the caffeine? The last two weeks have being HELL!

Any advice would be SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks, David. :confused:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Davidmator wrote: »
    Hi there,

I went on a recovery drink there two weeks ago because I started back trainning and have being suffering from awful abdominal pains ever since. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I went to the pharmacist where I bought the product and he said I have an "Allergic Reaction" to caffeine! IBS runs through my family and I'm already on Zoloft to deal with an anxiety disorder. Does Caffeine have an adverse affect on IBS???

I was just wondering is there anyway of clearing up the inflammation in my bowels caused by the caffeine? The last two weeks have being HELL!

Any advice would be SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks, David. :confused:

Good god, that's a crazy reaction to have to one dose of caffeine. If you are still experiencing symptoms? If so this is a doctor's domain not a pharmacist. Get thee to a GP as this is way too long to experience for a reaction to one thing.

FWIW caffeine intolerance is tied in with IBS but I would doubt that is it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Too much caffeine will give anyone a dodgy bowel!! Go to your GP with the recovery drink and see what s/he says!

Considering it's a diuretic I can't understand why caffeine would be in a recovery drink!!! Were you by any chance taking one of those thermogenic things? They've high levels of caffeine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Ya too much coffee will seriously upset the stomach and intestines and everything down there. Causes acid buildup and stuff afaik.
    Stop drinking whatever you're drinking and see a doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Davidmator

I took it three times over two days (180g) (recommended) and have felt off every morning since. The Pharmacist said that it was a recovery drink which helps burn fat but I don't have much fat to burn. Every morning its the same....I wake up and its like someone poured acid into my colon, Its fizzing and bubbling like mad. It goes away as the day wears on. This is the 16th morning of it now.

What do ye think it is cause I'm stumped! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Hey,

It sounds like you were on one of those thermogenic (fat burning) formulas! They have a very high level of caffeine in the form of gurana, a pseudo-ephedrine called citrus-arinium or bitter orange and white willow bark extract which is a natural form of asprin. This will always be tough on your stomach IBS or not.

The high grade pharmaceutical form of this was banned in the EU & US back in the late 90's, for good reason!! The supplement companies have been trying to replicate it since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Also if it has sucralose or any of the fake sugars it can send your IBS nuts.

And here's me thinking a protein shake just has protein in it....FAIL!

Apparently (doctor) I need to just give it time to ease off. After over 2 feckin weeks I think its long enough!

Bah Humbug...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

whats the name of the recovery shake?

Ah I think it was 'Maximuscle Lean Definition'.

Ok now I'm vomiting...should I go to A&E ??:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Dude, no offence, but why in god's name are you asking random people on the internet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd vomit too if i had to drink Maximuscle Promax Diet :pac:

Stop taking thermobol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement