Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaze1's Log

Options
  • 24-08-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've just been looking through the logs and they seem like a good way to keep track of what your spinning and keeping motivated so heres mine.

Im 6ft and about 118kg at the last weigh so the main motivation is to cut at least 2-3 stone for starters.

I was cycling into work earlier in the year but I had a bit of a fall in wet conditions and it dented my confidence a good bit and since we live in ireland and theres never any guarentee about the weather I've put of getting back on the saddle.

At the moment I'm biking to and from work which is only about 19k round trip so as I start to improve on my times I will work out a new route.

23rd Aug
    To work
    32m.19s
    17.82 Avg

From work
    8.12k (had to collect the sprog)
    25m.46s
    18.92K Avg

24th Aug
    To Work
    31m.41s
    17.56 Avg

I'm on a boardman mtb got it last year through the cycle to work and talked myself out of getting a road bike. Its only a short distance I know but any advice on tyres would be appriciated!! Are slicks better for grip in wet conditions?

Its a cracking day out so I've already decided on the long way home along the coast road!

where the hell did that weather come from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Great start blaze1.

I was in a similiar position 8 or 9 weeks ago when I started cycling. 10km was a long distance for me and my speed was sloooow. One of the things I love about cycling i just how fast you improve. I am now regularly doing 40km spins and I have a 50km this weekend (the Sean Kelly event in Waterford). My speed has also increase and i almost cracked 20km/hr for the entire spin this week.

I weighed 114kg:eek::( when I started and have lost 7kg so far with only minor changes to my diet (cut out the soft drink, reduced the crap!) so if you keep at it you will see progress:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

fairplay melb, thats a quick improvement and a good loss!

Think I'm going to stick to the same route for at least the next week and then try and push it out to about 15k.. Thats the plan anyway! Are these spins arranged on boards or cycling groups locally?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

blaze1 wrote: »
    where the hell did that weather come from?

Good luck with the goals. When you start cycling, you're always going to hit bad weather, so you're best of putting on suitable gear and a big grin, and head out anyway. Personally, I find that cycling in horrendous conditions can be good craic, for the sheer madness if nothing else.

smacl wrote: »
    Good luck with the goals. When you start cycling, you're always going to hit bad weather, so you're best of putting on suitable gear and a big grin, and head out anyway. Personally, I find that cycling in horrendous conditions can be good craic, for the sheer madness if nothing else.

Thanks man,
    I'm not too worried about getting wet tbh just dont want another spin out!
    Would slick tyres make a big difference to grip in slippy conditions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

blaze1 wrote: »
    Thanks man,
    I'm not too worried about getting wet tbh just dont want another spin out!
    Would slick tyres make a big difference to grip in slippy conditions?

Others can correct me here, but so far as I know, slick tires are worse in wet conditions than dry. That said, the last tires I had on my old MTB were City jets which I found were good in most conditions, and a damn sight faster than the knobbly tires they replaced. Wider tires should give you more grip at the cost of some speed.

Edit: These fellas look grippy, wide and pretty funky. Could be worth a go.

• Advertisement

They look pretty good thanks smacl, pretty smashed for cash at the mo so will give the current ones a chance and see how I get on...

Off work today and a bit of running around so didnt manage a spin, off kayaking in the morning and then out for the rugby, so hoping to get out for a blitz on sunday morning, contemplating howth depending on how the head is!

Quick update,

didnt manage a spin over the weekend between hangover and painting I couldnt get out.

Tues times didnt save for some reason was around 31 mins home and back though.

Weds

8.96km
    29m.32s
    av 18.21kph
    (was impressed with this as the first 2km took over 10 mins as I had to stop and puke..... Coffee right before you leave isn't the best idea!

10.01km
    30m.05s
    avg 19.96kph

Some amount of bad drivers on the roads yesterday afternoon. Was in the hieght of it by the time I got hom.

Absolutly wrecked this morning so I decided to give it a miss.... Raging now though!

Advertisement