Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No motivation

• 24-08-2011 5:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

i really lack motivation to go and do some exercise i have all great intentions to start then i dont bother any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭Thud

try a team sport, be it 5 a side football, tag rugby or something else, having a team rely on you is one way to ensure you'll turn up/get out.

If not try setting yourself some goals to achieve and reward yourself when you hit them

there's a theory that if you do something 21 times(or some number close to that) it becomes habit and you'll miss it if you stop doing it, try to make it a habit.

The first few sessions will hurt and tire you out but after a while it will start to turn around and you will have more energy and motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭marathonic

What's your goals when you excercise:
    • Just to get fit;
    • To take part in a sport;
    • To lose weight;
    • To gain muscle

Regardless of your goal, you should have an end target in sight.

If you just want to get fit, you could take up cycling and aim for the Wicklow 200 or take up running and aim for the 2012 Dublin marathon.

Taking part in a sport is an easier option as you have the social aspect of it too - there's cycling and athletics clubs all over the country.

If it's to lose weight, diet plays a large role but either of the above two options will be a useful addition.

If it's to gain muscle, pick a Linear Progression program like Starting Strength and the constant Personal Bests in the lifts should motivate you.

If it's to lose weight and gain muscle, you could consider booking a beach holiday for next summer if you think that would motivate you (regardless of what people think when they join gyms in April/May, now is the latest that you'd want to start getting in shape for a Summer 2012 holiday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

You should ask yourself some questions:
    1: What activity do you enjoy doing? You will only do something in the longer term that you enjoy if you dont know what you like then get out there and try new things

2. Are you the type of person that says lots but doesnt do near as much? Alot of people like the idea of reaping the benefits of hard work but never do the hard work, be it in the gym or in the workplace. Decide when and what you are going to do and then do it-no excuses, no whining, get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭marathonic

Thud wrote: »
    there's a theory that if you do something 21 times(or some number close to that) it becomes habit and you'll miss it if you stop doing it, try to make it a habit.

Agree with this. I used to lack the motivation to go to the gym (until early this year). After a while of going and making progress, I now feel guilty if I don't make at least 3 weekly visits to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

You should ask yourself some questions:
    1: What activity do you enjoy doing? You will only do something in the longer term that you enjoy if you dont know what you like then get out there and try new things

2. Are you the type of person that says lots but doesnt do near as much? Alot of people like the idea of reaping the benefits of hard work but never do the hard work, be it in the gym or in the workplace. Decide when and what you are going to do and then do it-no excuses, no whining, get it done.

I would agree with what has been said here and would add as follows:

From my own experience, I play soccer but I also hit the gym/do outdoor sprints and weights at least 4 times per week (I don't overtrain, I keep the sessions short and intense for the most part but I also get stronger by lifting heavy 2 -3 times per week).

I find that the training I do outside of football makes me so much stronger than anyone else I play against (most of the time:D) and a lot faster too. This is my motivation because i'm a competitive person and like to be good at the things I do, be it football or rugby or running/sprinting or whatever.

This method works best for me and keeps me pushing to be fitter, stronger, faster, resulting in harder work at the gym or when training. Nothing worse than being out on the pitch and gasping for your breath or struggling to get back into position as you're too tired to jog the required 50 yards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

i really lack motivation to go and do some exercise i have all great intentions to start then i dont bother any advice ?

As others have said, finding something you enjoy doing is the key. There are plenty of options out there depending on your goals. Group training can be pretty motivating, and are generally a cost effective option too. Bootcamps, kettlebell classes, zumba, circuit style training, semi-private personal training.

You can pretty much add to that easy entry points into most sports too, team or individual, along with walking, hiking, running, cycling all being more accessible here than most countries.

Results are motivating in themselves, what do you think it is that's killing your motivation?

also do you drink much on nights out? Ive found noticed big differences in my own levels of motivation and energy after a night on the beer even 2 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fauntleroy

I find you have to slog through the first few weeks of a diet/workout regime, really just putting up with them until you get used to it. You do get to the point where you actually start to enjoy the exercise and healthy eating, especially when your energy levels increase and you start feeling better. If you're really lucky you might even get addicted to endorphins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭twistedsoul

also do you drink much on nights out? Ive found noticed big differences in my own levels of motivation and energy after a night on the beer even 2 days later

i only drink twice a week at the most but when i go out i drink a fair bit !

i wouldnt class myself as over weight i have a bit of a beer belly :)

i think i need to start some lighter exercise first then doing more strenuous stuff !

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

i think i need to start some lighter exercise first then doing more strenuous stuff !

Well then I would definitely recommend speaking to a Personal Trainer. Best thing you can do at your level (no offence).

I should have done it long before I decided to speak to one. Would have saved myself a lot of injuries and training inefficiently!

• Advertisement

If you drink a good bit on a night out it can be 3 days later before youre fully back to normal so thats most of the week gone.
    Absolutely, build it up, both in terms of weights used, improving diet and application.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭twistedsoul

thanks for all the advice people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I alway lack motivation at the end of the season.
    at the moment, the GAA season is winding down.
    I have to refocus now and find something to train for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭belle2e

I quit smoking(filthy unheakthy habit)a few weeks ago and found the first few weeks of training hard now people are telling me i look better and i notice iv more energy.I bought a bike 3 weeks ago and am really enjoying it.
    http://www.ballyhouramtb.com/ballyhoura-region.html
    this place is so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Would this also apply to breaking a habit?

For example, if I want to give up coke, if I manage to stay off it for three weeks, should that do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nic2ie

Never heard of this but will certainly give it a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

if you've no motivation, then you won't do anything to improve yourself. it's alright though, you make all us hardcore gym people look even more amazing than we already know we are. cheers brah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

• Advertisement
Advertisement