Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

CELTA but no degree

• 23-08-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ leblanc

Hi All

I have an i-to-i 140 TEFL cert which, I discovered to my dismay, is really worth squat so have been considering a CELTA cert. Only reservation is my previous education. I have a diploma but no degree at present. Will a CELTA on its own qualify me to teach internationally? If so, where?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

le Blanc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nutshell84

hey le blanc
    i am exactly one step BEHIND you, i was about to start the "TEFL i-to-i 140hr" but because i read it is not ACELS acredited im holding off, i too do not hold a degree, i've read in the colleges that allow one to partake a CELT or CELTA course that one must sign a "waiver" & from my reading, though im not 100% on this, one cant teach in ireland once signing this waiver only in the UK europe & the rest of the world!!!
    i too am stuk in limbo as it were & need information on this

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ leblanc

Hi Nutshell84. Yip, the deal is you cant teach in Ireland. I have a friend teaching in China with a TEFL 140 hour. However having visited China before I am in no great rush to return and would prefer to stay in Europe. I have emailed a number of CELTA providers and will up date this post when I get info

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nutshell84

okay, so then you have experience in teaching english in China?
    what i gather is it is not worth it?
    DAMN, okay, well thank you sir, i presume from your name you are a "sir", at least i know now i may as well do the "i-to-i" because without a degree i'm well & truely "****ed"! which is a shame considering i think i could contribute to the whole "irish teaching" experience
    ah well, i will have to now look "further afield"
    but again, thank's for your help
    slain

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ leblanc

Nope...I didnt work there, I backpacked there but it wasnt my favourite place. Just my opinion. As I say, I have a friend teaching there who loves it. In Europe as far as I can see you need a degree with your TEFL cert.

Advertisement