Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CELTA but no degree

• 23-08-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi All

I have an i-to-i 140 TEFL cert which, I discovered to my dismay, is really worth squat so have been considering a CELTA cert. Only reservation is my previous education. I have a diploma but no degree at present. Will a CELTA on its own qualify me to teach internationally? If so, where?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

le Blanc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nutshell84

hey le blanc
    i am exactly one step BEHIND you, i was about to start the "TEFL i-to-i 140hr" but because i read it is not ACELS acredited im holding off, i too do not hold a degree, i've read in the colleges that allow one to partake a CELT or CELTA course that one must sign a "waiver" & from my reading, though im not 100% on this, one cant teach in ireland once signing this waiver only in the UK europe & the rest of the world!!!
    i too am stuk in limbo as it were & need information on this

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Hi Nutshell84. Yip, the deal is you cant teach in Ireland. I have a friend teaching in China with a TEFL 140 hour. However having visited China before I am in no great rush to return and would prefer to stay in Europe. I have emailed a number of CELTA providers and will up date this post when I get info

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nutshell84

okay, so then you have experience in teaching english in China?
    what i gather is it is not worth it?
    DAMN, okay, well thank you sir, i presume from your name you are a "sir", at least i know now i may as well do the "i-to-i" because without a degree i'm well & truely "****ed"! which is a shame considering i think i could contribute to the whole "irish teaching" experience
    ah well, i will have to now look "further afield"
    but again, thank's for your help
    slain

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Nope...I didnt work there, I backpacked there but it wasnt my favourite place. Just my opinion. As I say, I have a friend teaching there who loves it. In Europe as far as I can see you need a degree with your TEFL cert.

Advertisement