Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which laptop?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

This seems like the place to ask. I am hoping to get a laptop on finance so I want to get one that is good and is going to last.
    I am starting Community and Youth so need something with a good memory. I will also be using it for the usual presentations and also music and films. I don't know much about laptops so anyone got any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If your going to be using software to produce and edit music then a macbook pro with a piddly little 13" screen is certainly not the best thing you could buy.

That 1200 euro (or 1800 euro if you want the 15" version) could go a lot lot further.

How about a quad-core Desktop machine with a couple of terabytes of storage and two 24 inch monitors? Or a nice desktop with one 24" monitor and a mid range laptop for when your out and about? Or a high end PC laptop and a decent soundcard? and maybe a microphone or two and a decent set of headphones?

Macs are not one bit better at anything other than marketing.

Its crazy to spend that kind of money on one laptop when you could have all of the stuff mentioned above..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

conzymaher wrote: »
    That 1200 euro (or 1800 euro if you want the 15" version) could go a lot lot further.

You can get them a fair bit cheaper than that on amazon.(the 15" one anyway, 13" there's only a difference of ~€100 and your price)

@Moon Indigo
    Unfortunately there are no gaurantees when it comes to laptops and reliability, unless you get an expensive 3 year warranty with them.

You have to remember just to look after them well, get an anti-virus program (microsoft security essentials is free) and don't go downloading software you're not sure about, don't open any funny attachments or that and hopefully you'll manage to steer clear of any software problems.

Also I wouldn't buy a laptop on finance or any piece of equipment unless it was the last option. Maybe you could just pick up a second hand lappy from adverts.ie?

Even a second hand netbook for around €100 would be grand if all you were doing was surfing the web and writing up some documents. Then as you were saying that you need "memory" (I'm guessing you meant hard-drive space). You could just get an external hard-drive while are very cheap now too.
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,hard-drives,external-hard-drives/11157

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

conzymaher wrote: »
    If your going to be using software to produce and edit music then a macbook pro with a piddly little 13" screen is certainly not the best thing you could buy.

How about a quad-core Desktop machine with a couple of terabytes of storage and two 24 inch monitors? Or a nice desktop with one 24" monitor and a mid range laptop for when your out and about? Or a high end PC laptop and a decent soundcard? and maybe a microphone or two and a decent set of headphones?

Macs are not one bit better at anything other than marketing.

Its crazy to spend that kind of money on one laptop when you could have all of the stuff mentioned above..

If you're doing this (massive Cubase nerd speaking here) then conzymaher is right. Splash out on a desktop with a decent processer - the only thing you can't upgrade later.

I would kill for the Dynaudio BM6As in the music tech labs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

banquo wrote: »
    If you're doing this (massive Cubase nerd speaking here) then conzymaher is right. Splash out on a desktop with a decent processer - the only thing you can't upgrade later.
    You can upgrade the processor later ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

A moderately interesting and informative article on technology for students.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4556/back-to-school-technology-buyers-guide/1

It's quite long, so maybe just trying jumping to the relevant pages.

On the point of upgrading processors, well yes it is very easy to do, but it's not something that a lot of people do because processor sockets change quite often and for other reasons too. Intel seem to change the sockets more often than AMD btw.

Maybe if someone had bought a low end machine for doing regular kinds of tasks then at a later date realised that they would greatly benefit from more cores or something... Wouldn't happen that often I don't think, but yes you can do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Got myself a 13" MBP, thanks for all the input guys!

Advertisement