Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When i fall asleep i can feel myself floating like theres no gravity

Options
  • 23-08-2011 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Sometimes at night, might be a space of a month, week between them but i can feel myself floating out of bed and i cant control it. It feels like there is no gravity in the room. Why is this can anyone help me???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

This happens to me all the time! I haven’t looked into it really, but it’s probably to do with the part of your brain that causes you not to act out your dreams (sorry, can’t think of the anatomical region off the top of my head :P). I think it relates to sleep paralysis too… basically your brain and your body get disconnected when you sleep (except for vital functions like breathing etc obviously!), which I think explains the floating feeling because your brain is starting to lose control of your body so you’re less aware of your physical surroundings (eg don’t feel the bed underneath you). It’s like you’re just on the edge of sleep, but your body is a little ahead of your brain…

I tend to jerk myself awake if I feel this happening sometimes just because I get a little freaked out. But other times I just go with it because logically I know I’m just falling asleep.

I’d be interested in hearing a more thorough explanation from someone else though :) Will have to look it up properly when I get a chance!

Advertisement