Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beans at a good price

Options
  • 23-08-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭

any tips for buying decent beans at a good price?
    im looking for a general use bean for daily use, price limit of around 15e a kilo... online or shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

price limit of around 15e a kilo... online or shop.

Nick's Sweet Espresso. http://www.nickscoffeecompany.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I used to be hugely active on this board, until the 'being a parent' thing curtailed it...........and in all the time I haven't been around here I have been ordering my beans from www.hasbean.co.uk. Great choice and good value too..........so for 2 entire years I haven't found the need to change from Hasbean. That is about as good a recommendation as I can give :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

hasbean seem expensive, around 30e a kilo delivered, unless im missing something?
    how much is nicks per kilo on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

15 euro a kilo would rule out an awful lot of options. Mostly the decent ones. The stuff just isn't that cheap - unless you're buying green.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

Nick's is 4.50 for a 225g bag, according to this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73869163

That is a very competitive price.

Will probably have to stick with supermarket coffee beans if you want to pay around 15 per kg. Lavazza have 1kg bags for around that price, Starbucks is 4.15 for 250g bag in Tescos.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    15 euro a kilo would rule out an awful lot of options. Mostly the decent ones. The stuff just isn't that cheap - unless you're buying green.

yes i understand that, im just looking for a general use, good enuf quality bean in that price range( if it exhists here).
    ive no problem paying for expensive beans but not for everyday use.

in holland there are bean shops all over selling freshly roasted beans around this price range but of course the market there is way bigger!

mandarin wrote: »
    Nick's is 4.50 for a 225g bag, according to this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73869163

That is a very competitive price.

nice ill check this out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

1Kg of http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Jailbreak-Espresso-Blend-Mk4.html would be about 18.50 minus delivery. Do a bulk order and pop a few bags in the freezer and you'll be fine.

PPC wrote: »
    1Kg of http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Jailbreak-Espresso-Blend-Mk4.html would be about 18.50 minus delivery. Do a bulk order and pop a few bags in the freezer and you'll be fine.

i see the postage is not so bad when u make a big order, these beens are under 20e a kilo if i buy a few kilos which suits. thanks!

• Advertisement

Diarmuid wrote: »

i have seen these, their prices are great. can you recommend any particular bean?
    i wonder how fresh they are?
    anyone else tried these and could recommend a bean?

how much is nicks per kilo on average?

As I said, about €15. I think it might have crept up to €17 recently as prices rise worldwide. If you're buying a bag of beans of any size you get a free cup of coffee too. This isn't "discount" coffee by the way, it will stand beside any coffee, it's my staple. It makes a superb espresso.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    As I said, about €15. I think it might have crept up to €17 recently as prices rise worldwide. If you're buying a bag of beans of any size you get a free cup of coffee too. This isn't "discount" coffee by the way, it will stand beside any coffee, it's my staple. It makes a superb espresso.

ill pick up some of these next sunday, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Gurman's in Kilkenny are worth a visit if you're near by. They're supposed to be opening an outlet in the Stephen's Green centre next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

I would not put gurmans in the category of beans at a good price most of their offerings are €3.50 per 100g

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

macgabhs wrote: »
    I would not put gurmans in the category of beans at a good price most of their offerings are €3.50 per 100g

And they're all in glass jars for people to take the lid off and have a sniff.
    There's no knowing when the beans were roast or how long they've been in the jars.

macgabhs wrote: »

Wow, that is expensive.

By may calculations, you'd need to buy about 10kg of Hasbean's Jailbreak to get it for around 20 euro per kg. Say you buy 5kg of Jailbreak for 80stg, 16stg postage = 110 euro at current exchange rate approx, or 22 euro per kg. Buying in such quantities doesn't seem the most practical, unless a person is convinced they'll never tire of that particular coffee.
    If you're willing to consider Irish coffee roasters in or around that price bracket, there's also Badger and Dodo (2.5kg of red rock espresso plus postage works out at 61 euro, or roughly 24 per kg). Ariosa coffee is somewhat cheaper (500 gram bag is 10 euro, delivery is 6 euro for orders up to 2kg and 12 euro up to 10kg) and Ponaire cheaper again (19 euro per kg, delivery of 7 euro for any order).
    Obviously, can avoid the delivery charge if you buy locally (via your cafe or at a farmers' market etc).

By may calculations, you'd need to buy about 10kg of Hasbean's Jailbreak to get it for around 20 euro per kg. Say you buy 5kg of Jailbreak for 80stg, 16stg postage = 110 euro at current exchange rate approx, or 22 euro per kg. Buying in such quantities doesn't seem the most practical, unless a person is convinced they'll never tire of that particular coffee.
    If you're willing to consider Irish coffee roasters in or around that price bracket, there's also Badger and Dodo (2.5kg of red rock espresso plus postage works out at 61 euro, or roughly 24 per kg). Ariosa coffee is somewhat cheaper (500 gram bag is 10 euro, delivery is 6 euro for orders up to 2kg and 12 euro up to 10kg) and Ponaire cheaper again (19 euro per kg, delivery of 7 euro for any order).
    Obviously, can avoid the delivery charge if you buy locally (via your cafe or at a farmers' market etc).

great info thanks!
    coffee beans are damn expensive in ireland

No prob Curry Addict. Ariosa used to be at Temple Bar market on Sat mornings (assume they still are) - they do a good coffee and 10 euro for 500g espresso blend is pretty good, all considered.
    As for supermarket coffees, most are pre-ground - the only packet of beans I can think of that almost exactly matches your price preference is Lavazza's 1kg bag (14 or 15 euro).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No prob Curry Addict. Ariosa used to be at Temple Bar market on Sat mornings (assume they still are) - they do a good coffee and 10 euro for 500g espresso blend is pretty good, all considered.
    As for supermarket coffees, most are pre-ground - the only packet of beans I can think of that almost exactly matches your price preference is Lavazza's 1kg bag (14 or 15 euro).

I'd consider that pretty expensive esp. as they won't tell you what beans they are using in it.

Won't or don't? Granted, they should mention the components on their webpage but I assume one would be told if the question was asked. Website says they 'only roast with speciality coffee', not commodity coffee. Given that, and prices of other roasters, €20kg seems competitive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No, won't. Whenever I asked I was told it was a secret as I could be a competitor. Go figure.

That seems a bit OTT. Would have assumed you'd be given the basics, ie, countries of origin,etc - there are so many variables involved in the roasting process, that'd hardly be giving the keys to the kingdom.

great info thanks!
    coffee beans are damn expensive in ireland

Yeah, I discovered HasBean through this forum and have started to treat myself every 2 weeks to a different bean selection. For the 7-9 euros it costs me and the enjoyment I'm getting out of it, it's the best value I've had in a long, long time. I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the postman to arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

naasrd wrote: »
    Yeah, I discovered HasBean through this forum and have started to treat myself every 2 weeks to a different bean selection. For the 7-9 euros it costs me and the enjoyment I'm getting out of it, it's the best value I've had in a long, long time. I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the postman to arrive.

Well if you're ordering that frequently you may as well set up an In My Mug subscription.;)

Well if you're ordering that frequently you may as well set up an In My Mug subscription.;)

It's my birthday this month so I've asked the kids for the 12 Month Coffee Gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Nick's Sweet Espresso. http://www.nickscoffeecompany.com/

I was disappointed to see Nicks coffee place on Tara St seems to have closed down. At least I used to hit it on a Saturday morning at last Saturday it was closed on both sides of 10o'c.
    The free coffee with a bean purchase was proper order and it guaranteed my custom...great time saver too.

gerardduff wrote: »
    I was disappointed to see Nicks coffee place on Tara St seems to have closed down. At least I used to hit it on a Saturday morning at last Saturday it was closed on both sides of 10o'c.
    The free coffee with a bean purchase was proper order and it guaranteed my custom...great time saver too.

Fear not, they've moved to a new shop in the old Irish Times building on D'Olier Street.

• Advertisement

the best beans ive found so far in the 15e per kilo price range is M&S luxury italian beans. nicks standard blend is good at 18e a kilo, not much better than M&S tho.
    after tasting fallon and byrnes beans i was inspired to order 5kg of a variety of has beans as they should be similar quality and not too bad a price at 22e a kilo delivered. ive yet to try arosia beans, ill check these out soon.

Advertisement