Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the GAMSAT cut-offs too low?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

Fortunately, at the end of the day - we can all rest assured that students graduating with medical degrees will pass through the same accreditation system which is carried out by external examiners. So the real question lies in whether or not we are getting best return on investment of tax-payers money.

I think the only real way to know is to compare the GAMSAT scores with pass rates at the end of the four year degree - they either had it or they didn't. I'm sure that the GAMSAT mark, accompanied by the primary degree mark, is not the absolute best way to decipher who will make the best doctor. I certainly think there should be aspects of; relevant experience, motivation, aspiration etc. With the minimal degrees of separation that exist in Ireland, I don't foresee any form of interview process working: they would most likely be brought in from our nearest English speaking country (costs) and would still be susceptible to high degrees of coercion and favouritism through the minimal degrees of separation that would still inevitably exist through the close net communities of the two nations and the multi-national basis of most senior medical practitioners career paths.

As for the degree standard - I know people on both side of the unfortunately arbitrary line who's massively varied suitability, in my modest opinion, to be excellent physicians could not be more removed from each other. One with a primary 2.2 who is the most empathetic kind-hearted individual who wants to sincerely help and the other who winged through her degree to get a 2.1 and appears to have unscrupulous motivations for the chosen career path.

A very interesting topic, and one which I look forward to seeing the quantifiable results of in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Is there any point in having the GAMSAT there anymore if people are getting in with a score in the 40's? seems a bit obsolete if you ask me as most people should score low 50's without too much effort. Last year was the first time an absurdly low score got in and over 20% of the class failed in UL. Is it about time we had a cut off and admit more foreign students to fill the place of Irish students who cant make the grade

• Registered Users Posts: 24 raftni

i know there is definitely one student in first year who got in on 49 (I'm sure there's one or two more).

tbh I think that is disgustingly low and I'd be worried about the credibility of the course going forward, and also worried about the sanctity of that person's mental health if they fail the exams.

most of the 8 people in my year are repeating and having to pay twenty five thousand euros, those people will be a slave to the HSE and to the banks for the rest of their lives, make no mistake about it. 50 grand in debt and they haven't made it out of first year, some dream GEM has turned out to be for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 McMuffin

I know a lot of good candidates who got a 2.2 in science degrees. I myself got a 2.1 in a law degree which is easy to get. I don't see why people with 2.2 in science degrees shouldn't be allowed in yet I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 McMuffin

The cut-offs are far too low. There are going to be a lot of drop-outs/repeats with massive debt in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 onehardslog

Can I just ask how someone can have got a place on a 49? Mayb it's naive but I'm sure there are more people sitting in a 50/51/52 who didn't get a place (I am one of them!).

Also, was there a third round of offers released?

you probably didn't meet the requirements ie 2.1 degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nat23

I'm currently in first year and have yet to come across anyone with less than 53 in their GAMSAT. Two close friends that were on 53 only got official CAO offers the day of orientation as far as I remember. Also, a classmate from my primary degree who had a higher GPA than me but only had 52 in GAMSAT has not received an offer (i.e she has met all other matriculation requirements).
    With that said I find it highly unlikely that there are several 1st years that got into UL with a score of 49.

well I personally know somebody in first year on a 49.

The CAO and UL never release the later figures, as it's embarrassing for UL.

The same happened last year, there were two students in our class on 51 but the official figure from UL was 54*.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nat23

so how come those that were sitting on 49-53 didn't get a place even though they had a 2.1 degree? when you look at the distribution curve for the GAMSAT this year its obvious that there's a lot of people sitting on a 53 or 52 so I don't understand how someone with 49 could bypass them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement