Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is zavvi.com legit?

Options
  • 22-08-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Just wondering because their prices are so low and it would be great if it was real and not a scam.

and if it is real, would the xbox games be able to play in this country, since their is different region formats or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Bought cd's off them before, they took over all the Virgin stores in England. They use a distribution centre in Guernsey so no taxes to pay hence cheaper products

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Buy off them all the time. They're 100% legit, although their delivery times and the fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I would have thought Customs would have copped on to all the packages coming out of Guernsey plastered with their branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,154 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

They sell PAL games, so their Xbox games will work here. I've used them in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

They coming from where?

I used them too. Great prices if you looking for bargains.

Delevery times are awefull thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've used them too and had no problems.

Nevore wrote: »
    I would have thought Customs would have copped on to all the packages coming out of Guernsey plastered with their branding.

Play.com send from Jersey and also seem to get away with it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Bought from them many times, they're great. Although the delivery times can be a bit slow. I found Amazon.co.uk to be the fastest for me; but Zavvi's delivery to dublin are between 1-2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They're part of the Hut group. Pretty much the same as thehut or sendit.
    Dotsey wrote: »
    they took over all the Virgin stores in England.

They went bust after a year and were bought by thehut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I thought play and zavvi etc went legit with the v.a.t ages ago ?

Never had anything nabbed by customs and I've had some whopper packages sent form them in the recent past, a Rock Band guitar controller for one :D

Hmmmmmmm. It could be coming from santas arse, as long as I get what I ordered.

Amy ideas on play.com delivery times? I ordered yesterday 2 games, but by the looks of it, they bouth come from separate places. Its like amazon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

legit, but as said, zavvi delivery times are abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I never ordered much from them over the magic 21e mark so I don't know if customs have a problem with their packages.

Play...hmmm...never had a package stopped when its from them either. Maybe Play do pay Irish VAT (one componenet of their outrageous exchange rate perhaps?)

But yeah, when possible, Amazon are the fastest and pay Irish VAT so no probs with customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Weird I was going to create a new thread for this but no need now. Just bought an xbox game off them and usually comes within two weeks (as mentioned earlier about their long delivery times). But instead of the game coming I get a delivery docket with 15e customs charge? It's definitely the game so who do I give the bollocking to? An Post or Zavvi?

chin_grin wrote: »
    Weird I was going to create a new thread for this but no need now. Just bought an xbox game off them and usually comes within two weeks (as mentioned earlier about their long delivery times). But instead of the game coming I get a delivery docket with 15e customs charge? It's definitely the game so who do I give the bollocking to? An Post or Zavvi?

Well..you either pay up or you hope Zavvi take the game back (they'd be under no legal obligation to do so).

Any customs charges are always the responsibility of the purchaser.

noodler wrote: »
    Well..you either pay up or you hope Zavvi take the game back (they'd be under no legal obligation to do so).

Any customs charges are always the responsibility of the purchaser.

Unless it's in the small print (who reads that?). But why would something being sourced from the UK have a customs charge? I'm going to pay, it's just that I've never had to pay customs on ordering a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

TheOwl12 wrote: »
    Just wondering because their prices are so low and it would be great if it was real and not a scam.

and if it is real, would the xbox games be able to play in this country, since their is different region formats or something.

Is it really that hard to do a Google search?

Unless it's in the small print (who reads that?). But why would something being sourced from the UK have a customs charge? I'm going to pay, it's just that I've never had to pay customs on ordering a game!

But its not the UK, its Guernsey (or however you spell it).

I think you have been very unfortunate (how much was the game?) but thems the rules!

If its anything of a high value I would go to Amazon, no customs charges and free delivery over 25 pounds.

noodler wrote: »
    But its not the UK, its Guernsey (or however you spell it).

I think you have been very unfortunate (how much was the game?) but thems the rules!

If its anything of a high value I would go to Amazon, no customs charges and free delivery over 25 pounds.

Thanks a mil for clearing that up. Feel a bit cheated to be honest. Although in saying that maybe it was as a result of not reading the small print.

The game was 37 with free delivery. Now with the +15 it's no better than if I went in to a store here.

Thing was I bought a dvd from them a while ago (only 7e) and there was no customs on that.

This'll learn me.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for clearing that up. Feel a bit cheated to be honest. Although in saying that maybe it was as a result of not reading the small print.

The game was 37 with free delivery. Now with the +15 it's no better than if I went in to a store here.

Thing was I bought a dvd from them a while ago (only 7e) and there was no customs on that.

This'll learn me.

I think there is a threshold of 21 euros are thereabouts.

But yeah, just be wary that just because the currency is pounds does not mean it is in the UK etc

Never ordered anything from zavvi that was over the threshold personally but even if I had it is generally deemed to be the luck of the draw as customs can not check everything.

It's the first time I hear about customs going after zavvi stuff. Might be very unlucky.

I am waiting on stuff from play.com
    Let's hope it will be grand. I guess it will be my last time of buying stuff from zavvi or play.com

It's the first time I hear about customs going after zavvi stuff. Might be very unlucky.

I am waiting on stuff from play.com
    Let's hope it will be grand. I guess it will be my last time of buying stuff from zavvi or play.com

Just don't buy things over the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Zavvi, the Hut, Sendit, Play, Tesco, Asda, HMV online are all based in the Channel Islands.

The Channel Islands are a Crown Protectorate and are not part of the EU or the U.K. Anything over £18/€22 ordered from any of those companies is liable for Import Duty, VAT and the Carrier's handling fee.

Rael wrote: »
    Zavvi, the Hut, Sendit, Play, Tesco, Asda, HMV online are all based in the Channel Islands.

The Channel Islands are a Crown Protectorate and are not part of the EU or the U.K. Anything over £18/€22 ordered from any of those companies is liable for Import Duty, VAT and the Carrier's handling fee.

22eu in total or 22eu per item?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

22eu in total or 22eu per item?
    Probably per item, because I ordered about €170 worth of stuff in one go and never got charged anything. Each individual item was under worth €22 though.

Redlion wrote: »
    Probably per item, because I ordered about €170 worth of stuff in one go and never got charged anything. Each individual item was under worth €22 though.

One of the games I ordered is 21.98eu.... How save am I? Is it deffenetly 22eu?

How much customs will want for it anyway?! If I get cought, will I get a bill and games? Or will I have to drive to **** knows where to pay it, then **** knows where to collect it?

I ordered dump valve for skyline in Japan once. I got a bill from customs and part...

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

One of the games I ordered is 21.98eu.... How save am I? Is it deffenetly 22eu?

How much customs will want for it anyway?! If I get cought, will I get a bill and games? Or will I have to drive to **** knows where to pay it, then **** knows where to collect it?

I ordered dump valve for skyline in Japan once. I got a bill from customs and part...
    Not too sure to be honest. Have never once had to deal with customs and the first I heard of the €22 rule was in this thread. For me, everything I've ordered from Zavvi has come fast, and without problems though.

I'm sure ya'll be okay with €21.98 though :)

Couldn't hurt to give Zavvi an email, they might be able to answer some of your questions.

Redlion wrote: »
    Not too sure to be honest. Have never once had to deal with customs and the first I heard of the €22 rule was in this thread. For me, everything I've ordered from Zavvi has come fast, and without problems though.

I'm sure ya'll be okay with €21.98 though :)

Couldn't hurt to give Zavvi an email, they might be able to answer some of your questions.

i ordered from play.com this time, but they are same group prety much... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

i ordered from play.com this time, but they are same group prety much... :(

Play is a different company to Thehut/Zavvi/Sendit which are all under the same parent company.

Advertisement