Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Researchers in Budapest have been investigating how dogs respond to sounds ... by putting them through MRI brain scans while playing them sounds such as human and animal voices (report). The photos are what had me going "bawww!"

_73119909_68588.jpg

I've had a few MRIs scans - yes, I needed my head examined - and I can tell you that a standard MRI machine is so noisy you need to wear earplugs. It's also a pretty sterile environment and some find it claustrophobic, particularly because you have to live very still for about 10 minutes at a time. I was wondering what it would take to get dogs to put up with that, but it wasn't much trouble, according to the article.

_73119911_611a97e7-1bd9-4caf-bcec-751a122da7f0.jpg

There's also the surrealism of the whole situation, which appeals to my sense of humour. MRI ... dogs ... weird. :p

_73119914_bb27924a-bf85-42cd-a087-162cac624558.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

117775.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

BhRmKATCcAIOeah.jpg

BhQvezACAAECGW1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Chucken wrote: »
    117775.jpg

Goddamit. Feels. Bad feels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tumblr_n0vd1pnc1j1s02vreo1_400.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

1891243_524190034361803_862533953_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Sweet kid.

Related story about his dad who was injured in a bomb, survived, volunteered again and then died in a 2nd bomb blast.
    http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/3318686/toledo-soldier-killed-in-iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Doge

laxsJHr.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

7jKjm26.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Squirrel hides nuts in a Bernese Mountain dog's fur
    Love how the dog is just like "The f*ck are you doing?!"

tumblr_n0mu44h0Z41ts1x1oo1_400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

An oldie but a good one (sorry if it's been posted before, I haven't read the full thread).

Dog and magpie playing.
    I'm actually gobsmacked by this (in a good way :D). How on earth did these two become friends? They were being really rough and at any stage the bird could've pecked out his eyes or he could have bit her head off but they were clearly playing!?!

The bird tried to play with the washing and wasn't fazed at all by the woman. I wonder did they rescue the bird when it was young and raise it (it doesn't say in the description) because the level of trust and familiarity shown by the bird is phenomenal! People have birds for years as pets and they don't have that level of interaction.

Thanks for sharing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I know, the whole time I was waiting for something to happen that I wasn't going to like, it was only on the second watch I was able to relax! It's astonishing that they were able to forge an obvious, actual, friendship :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm actually gobsmacked by this (in a good way :D). How on earth did these two become friends? They were being really rough and at any stage the bird could've pecked out his eyes or he could have bit her head off but they were clearly playing!?!

The bird tried to play with the washing and wasn't fazed at all by the woman. I wonder did they rescue the bird when it was young and raise it (it doesn't say in the description) because the level of trust and familiarity shown by the bird is phenomenal! People have birds for years as pets and they don't have that level of interaction.

Thanks for sharing :)

I can't remember where I read it, but I think the bird was rescued as a chick and has lived with the family since it was very young - the way it rolls on its back and playfights with its legs suggests that it learned a lot of behaviours from the dog - birds just don't do that naturally.

Have some more!

B0jangles wrote: »
    I can't remember where I read it, but I think the bird was rescued as a chick and has lived with the family since it was very young - the way it rolls on its back and playfights with its legs suggests that it learned a lot of behaviours from the dog - birds just don't do that naturally.

Have some more!
    No they don't. S/he must've been adopted into a very special family because I have watched many videos of birds (breed for captivity or rescued) interacting with family pets but I have never seen a bird so comfortable with a dog! The closest I have come to it is where the bird was playing catch with the dog

Even in that video the dog kept a respectful distance from the bird.

Not only does this "wild" bird have a great relationship with the dog but in the previous video, s/he was also very comfortable around people. Whoever adopted the bird has a great rapport with animals.

Thanks for the follow up video :D

• Advertisement

^Love that vid, think I posted it here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I've a springer spaniel and cockatiels here and whilst they dont 'play', one tiel and the springer 'pass each other off' so to speak. So much so that once or twice the tiel has landed on the dogs back. The dog looks to me as if tosay 'get this thing off'. Must see do i have any pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Kittens turning on a vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Bj2tdVHIUAENra1.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Two of the worlds greatest natural enemies chilling out and being friends instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

f23f85.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm actually gobsmacked by this (in a good way :D). How on earth did these two become friends?

It's all a devious ploy, those birds are *****. I've been attacked a good few times by them when out cycling :mad:

Advertisement