Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's Alcohol Policy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ionesco wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm a 23 year old from Holland who last week was refused alcohol at a Tesco's on Parnell Street. I was told that my dutch I.D. and driving license would not be accepted. And that I would need a Garda Age Card or a passport.

I did not make a fuss as I'm new to the country and do not know the ins and outs of the system here.

So Thursday night I went grocery shopping again. And once I got to the cashier I was again asked for I.D. and this time I was prepared. I got out my passport and showed it only to hear they only accept Irish passports or National Age Cards. I kicked up a fuss this time, asking for a manager and explaining that it was accepted at border controls and embassies across the world and even by the Gardai right here and they still refused to send me on my way. I asked to see the policy they were talking about only to hear that they do not have the policy in the shop and I would have to call Customer Service.

At this point I was well pissed off. In the end I just went to a Spar across the street where I was not asked for I.D. or anything like it.

Friday I actually called up customer service asking about the policy only to be told they could not help me and I should ask for it in the shop. I tried explaining that that's what I did but all they could tell me is that every Tesco branch should have their policy for customers to see.

After this I went online and found multiple complaints just like mine. Mostly by foreigners or tourists for whom it was impossible to buy any kind of alcohol at Tesco's because they did not have Irish Identification. I even saw some complaints of Irish people with Irish passports who were still not allowed to buy alcohol without and Age Card.

I don't understand why I should spent money on a National I.D. card while I have a Passport which is accepted everywhere.

I already know what I will do though, I will never be going to Tesco's again. I just don't understand it and needed to get this rant of my chest.

That is an example of doing things The Irish Way, Give it another few weeks and you will realise its a common problem in all aspects of life, And talk about complaints !! Complaints don't get solved here either.
    Just remember the old saying "If the Dutch ran Ireland, They would feed the world, If the Irish ran Holland, They would drown".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just remember the old saying "If the Dutch ran Ireland, They would feed the world, If the Irish ran Holland, They would drown".
    It is so true. Ireland is not fit to govern itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The staff in Tesco are lacking a brain usually and can't even work out the age when presented with a date, it's incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭parasomnia

I am 38 and I was asked for ID at a Tesco recently..LOL :) (Tesco Arthur's Quay)

I had just finished a painting Job and was standing there looking a bit disheveled waiting to pay for some cans (I also have a beard!) when some old lady asked me for ID. I said you are Joking right? Get to specsavers love I said!

Anyway after a short rant I was able to pay providing no ID.

Tesco - every little helps if you know what your doing..:o

EDIT: Just to be clear I was in no way disrespectful to Tesco staff and found my need to produce ID a compliment. If I was still refused, I'd simply shop elsewhere, the sweet Lady I was dealing with Maybe was a having an "off" day, for asking someone who may look like (as my Friends) refer to as "Christy Moore's evil twin" buying some cheap cans was a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

There is a certain type of person out there that takes incredible pleasure in refusing to serve another person alcohol and will use any type of excuse just for their own pleasure. We have all heard the stories of the person clearly over 30 but still being refused for having no ID. You can almost see the smirk on the side of their face. They know they are been unreasonable but if they back down then they will lose face.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 28 Judge Weiner

There is a certain type of person out there that takes incredible pleasure in refusing to serve another person alcohol and will use any type of excuse just for their own pleasure. We have all heard the stories of the person clearly over 30 but still being refused for having no ID. You can almost see the smirk on the side of their face. They know they are been unreasonable but if they back down then they will lose face.
    It would make a good case for objecting to their annual licence renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It would make a good case for objecting to their annual licence renewal.

I very much doubt that a judge would consider over-zealous observation of the licensing laws to be grounds for refusing a renewal. Access to alcohol is hardly a civil right, you can always go somewhere else.

Go to a pub in any state in the US and see how they operate, you're almost guaranteed that the youngest looking person in the party will be asked for ID, even if they're in their 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BBQlueless2

Hey!
    Had a mate with Aussie licence (which does have hologram) have same issue.

Got in touch with customer complaints, (esp cos the person in question didn't even look at licence, just rejected it because it wasn't Irish).

Tesco got back (attachment) and said passports and IDs with holograms are fine. If you have issues lodge a complaint, immediately and/or to customer care.

:)

PS. all those 'go home if you don't like it' folk, shame on you; sure even if we Aussies did head home, there's just as many Irish manning checkouts back there, what'd be the point! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There are a number of night clubs that ID older people who are unlikely to carry id in order to control the age of their punter. They want the reputation of being young and not a hangout for the older folk.

A friend of mine dragged her parents out with her friends to a club for her 21st. The parents didn't get in.
    Hey!

I think the main issue is that staff don't know anything about about the foreign ID and aren't trained to recognise if its genuine or not.

Would be an interesting idea if there was a terminal at Dublin Airport that would produce Garda ID on demand for foreigners coming in at a cheap rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hey!

Got in touch with customer complaints, (esp cos the person in question didn't even look at licence, just rejected it because it wasn't Irish).

Tesco got back (attachment) and said passports and IDs with holograms are fine. If you have issues lodge a complaint, immediately and/or to customer care.

:)

PS. all those 'go home if you don't like it' folk, shame on you; sure even if we Aussies did head home, there's just as many Irish manning checkouts back there, what'd be the point! :P

I'm sure Becky is fully aware of the Irish legislation on the matter, which only provides a defence if a Garda age card is presented.

• Advertisement
Advertisement