Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTC-8 Killarney.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

great win for robertson , i saw the semi. unlucky mark allen it would have been nice if he had won the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It looked well, watching it on Eurosport. Just a pity the media didn't seem to know or want to know it was on. This was remarked on by newstalk on Saturday as a sign that the game was in decline, but I think the media in Ireland should be doing something to promote events here too.

Not much mention of it on RTE sports that I could see, and when it's in Killarney people need advance notice if they choose to go down, so we could have done with some build up for a week or two beforehand.

I guess there is an onus on people to find some of these things out for themselves but sometimes it is rammed down our throat when events are happening, so you can't fail to be aware of them.

Still, the tournament looked like a success, probably the two most exciting players in the final, and a very strong semi final line up. Robertson getting some revenge over Trump for his crucible defeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

I really think we missed a trick this weekend, Ireland had a great chance to showcase itself as a suitable venue for an annual PTC event let alone a full ranking event or even a chance of bringing back an invitation event in Goffs, but yet again the organisers as always fail to properly inform the public.

Yes there was an excellent turn out of amateur players from Dublin and beyond but it's the general public that should be made aware of these events.
    I see it time and again with exhibitions around the country with last minute efforts to sell tickets, if the exhibition or tournament got the proper publicity than the tickets would be sold and the public would come.
    Only last Monday i recieved a large envelope to my club with info for tickets and accomadation in Killarney, how can you expect the average person to make arrangements to get to Killarney in that short space of time, i had known about the PTC in Killarney for quite some time so i was able to give some of the snooker fans i know a heads up, in turn they had time to make plans and indeed travel to Killarney.

An exhibition in Mullingar tomorrow evening between Ken Doherty and John Higgins has been advertised on snooker sites and Facebook for quite some time and by doing it this way the promoter has at least given himself a chance of a successful evening.

And regarding the media, well they are as much to blame as anyone, two of the best players in the world played in the final last night yet along with empty seats at the venue they was'nt a mention of it on any of the sports bulletins or pages today, and if there was i missed it probably due to the fact it was a mere paragraph!

Yes the event was a relative success, a success if you were a compeditor maybe, but from a spectator point of view and i'm going by the say of two friends who attended it was'nt great, for instance putting the matches that featured Ken Doherty and another that featured Jimmy White on outside tables while the main tv table had players that attracted very few spectators is madness.

Snooker in Ireland is doing well, it's not in decline, entries for amatuer events are up, several new clubs have opened up recently and its here that the snooker fan and player hear about upcoming exhibitions, tournaments etc

So any event organisers out there, if your thinking of organising something contact the clubs, they are the grassroots of snooker in Ireland.

These comments are only my opinion, i know the organisers in Killarney tried and did their best and should be applauded but we just can't let chances like this to hold big events in Ireland go to waste.

Advertisement