Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions men dare not ask their doctor

Options
  • 21-08-2011 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

This article made me smile cos not every embaressing health question has to be about the love pump.

21 August 2011 Last updated at 01:13 GMT

Questions men dare not ask a doctor

_54570316_tim.gif By Tim Samuels Presenter, Men's Hour, BBC Radio 5 liveFigures suggest women are much more likely than men to visit a doctor. Even when they do, men can find it hard to talk about what's really ailing them. So what strange worries are on their mind?
    Men are notorious for failing to open up about things that are bothering them. Particularly when their concerns are of a medical nature.
    A survey by the Office for National Statistics found women were more likely than men to visit their GP regularly, and the Men's Health Forum also thinks men are becoming increasingly unlikely to visit a GP. With 17 years in medicine, Dr Mark Hamilton has first-hand experience of the medical matters that men struggle to talk about the most.
    For the 60-Second Hypochondria slot on BBC Radio 5 live's Men's Hour, Dr Hamilton reveals some of the more unusual questions men have struggled to spit out to him - and gives his answers for those who have never been brave enough to ask.
    "We offer an honest and accurate answer to practically any question a man can think of," said Dr Hamilton.
    Continue reading the main story “Start Quote

_54637156_drhamilton.gif
    Men can think of some weird and wonderful questions”
    Dr Mark Hamilton
    "And in my experience, men can think of some weird and wonderful questions. It still seems that they're a bit reluctant to visit the doctor for advice, so Men's Hour brings the doctor to them.
    "The majority of my working life has been spent in the emergency department so I've been faced with dilemmas and questions covering almost any topic.
    "Whether it's been busting an urban myth or challenging what some 'bloke down the pub' said, no question is too silly or trivial.
    "Not every query has to be about sex or penis function, but that does still seem to make up the bulk of them as you'll see with the following selection."

How can I stop myself from sweating on a date?
    There are actually specific shields designed for excessive sweating. If your antiperspirant isn't working, then aluminium chloride is special stuff you can get; ask your pharmacist about it. There are very specific instructions about using it but it is very good at cutting sweating. The psychological side of it is, try to relax. Don't feel the need to talk all the time, ask about her and be interested and that should relax you.
    What's the best food to eat on a date to keep my energy up and stop her from falling asleep?
    It's usually excessive alcohol that saps your energy. I think the best thing is to enjoy the food, don't worry about exactly what you choose. I recommend maybe a coffee at the end to keep your spirits up and a lovely romantic walk just to get the wind in your hair.
    If I get shot, am I better off leaving the bullet in or trying to take it out?
    Absolutely leave it in. You need to find yourself a friendly surgeon and an anaesthetist, because you could do a lot of potential damage to yourself.
    Could a tight pair of swimming trunks worn all summer affect my reproductive chances?
    _54572355_speeods.jpg Does what you slip on for a dip really affect your chances of fatherhood?
    This is a common myth. If you increase the temperature in the scrotum it does decrease the quality of the semen, and there has been a bit of evidence to suggest that tight underwear can drop quality. But it hasn't actually been proven that it will affect fertility, so the jury is still out on this one.
    What are the odds of my wife looking like her mother when she gets older - even though my wife is skinny but her mum is plump and jolly?
    Genetics are very complicated. Even though you inherit half from your mum and half from your dad, it's not like a 50/50 chance. It depends on how those genes are expressed by the person. So if she expresses lots of her dad's genes she will look like her dad and if she expresses of lots her mum's genes she will look like her mum. You can't put an exact figure on it.
    Could the nits on my child's head end up relocating to my pubic hair?
    The nits are actually the eggs, so it's the lice that are the worry. The lice that live in the head are a completely a different species to the lice that live in the pubic hair. So I suppose it technically is possible but generally it's not seen in practice. You would have to have very close contact to share that - so no that wouldn't happen.
    If I am fighting or running away what's that coppery taste I get in mouth?
    _54573174_wee.jpg Does spending a few pennies too many signify prostate troubles?
    I've heard people talk about this being the taste of adrenaline because you do get a huge surge of adrenaline when you are fighting or running away - it's the fight or flight hormone. But I think it's actually more likely to be the taste of blood, which has a kind of iron or rusty taste, as you get microscopic bleeding when you are doing anything strenuous. You get this from inside the mouth or from the lungs.
    Would circumcising my son reduce the overall length of his penis?
    No, it wouldn't.
    Is it possible to have a penis transplant?
    Yes. The first penis transplant was done in China several years ago and it was deemed to be successful. However, it had to be removed after a few weeks because of what they described as a severe psychological reaction. I think he couldn't feel it and his wife thought it was a bit weird.
    Should I be worried if I am weeing three times in the night?
    That does sound like it's a little frequent and if you're a bloke this might point towards a possible problem with your prostate. So, go and have a chat with your GP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14605886

It did get me thinking though what makes it so guys can't talk to their GP's and maybe its the GP's and not the men.

Like Erection sounds like a medical condition or scaffolding but with women they say breasts and not mamarries.

Forget all the machismo stuff , why cant they say Hard-On and why if I go to my doctor they dont have Hard On Health leaflets ??.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Could the nits on my child's head end up relocating to my pubic hair?

o.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

CDfm wrote: »
    Like Erection sounds like a medical condition or scaffolding but with women they say breasts and not mamarries.

That's because it's the mammary glands within the breast that produce milk - their official title is not "mammaries"....and as with most things, Drs like sticking to official titles and exacting phraseology to try to ensure there is no ambiguity and they remain professional; certainly by avoiding play-ground terminology.

I don't think any Dr would object to male patients using other terms but I suspect Drs will stick to those that are professionally recognised.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

In my experience the only thing that men are usually reluctant to talk about is depression, I'd imagine because there's still a belief that it's a sign of "weakness" in a person.

As regards my own doctor at home -I'd a great professional relationship with him because he was able to call a spade a spade which made me more relaxed when dealing with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

That's because it's the mammary glands within the breast that produce milk - their official title is not "mammaries"....and as with most things, Drs like sticking to official titles and exacting phraseology to try to ensure there is no ambiguity and they remain professional; certainly by avoiding play-ground terminology.

I don't think any Dr would object to male patients using other terms but I suspect Drs will stick to those that are professionally recognised.:cool:

Ahem , are you suggesting I and other guys are immature :eek:

(Hiya Ickle :D)

So doctors say things like wenis, pink sock, loose stools and everyones favourite - prick . Very precise .

I can get the need to be precise between colleagues but also the need to communicate with and relax patients -which is where I think the gap is .

Ahem , are you suggesting I and other guys are immature :eek:

No no! The term, not the user! :o
    (Hiya Ickle :D)

o/ :D
    So doctors say things like wenis, pink sock, loose stools and everyones favourite - prick . Very precise .

I can get the need to be precise between colleagues but also the need to communicate with and relax patients -which is where I think the gap is .

I've never heard a doctor say wenis, pink sock or prick - not in a professional capacity anyway! Loose stool is again a recognised term that isn't a pet name or bar-room slang (that better than the play-ground analogy?!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

"Is it possible to have a penis transplant?"

I can honestly say I've never wanted to ask this.

I've never heard a doctor say wenis, pink sock or prick -.

Well I believe those terms are in common use , so why not hard -on ?

Well I believe those terms are in common use , so why not hard -on ?

Why not indeed, I guess it's down to the individual doctor - and they have to gauge the kind of language their patient wants them/expects them to use as a medical professional and keeping in mind they are a representative of a particular medical practice...you might want your doctor to say hard-on, I'd hate for my doctor to say tits, for instance. So, I would hope doctors would work on a case-by-case basis but I'm just saying I'm not at all surprised that the default is not slang terminology when in a professional capacity... :cool:

...you might want your doctor to say hard-on, I'd hate for my doctor to say tits, for instance.

OK , my wenis is itchy *.

I totally agree with you and medical service delivery may be great for women but perhaps doesn't reach the spot for guys.

My GP is great, she is a bit of a fluffy and said to me once that she had a waiting room of women and babies and "you". So sense of humour wise we get on great and 3 years on I am totally comfortable.

* wenis is the skin on your elbow.

OK , my wenis is itchy *.

You should see a Dr about that...

okay, okay, gotcha now... :o

• Advertisement

I hardly think my preference for not using bar-room slang for my intimate body parts equates to a great medical service delivery for an entire gender...and for the record my husband would prefer his doctor didn't use slang terminology as well, so I was really approaching it from the perspective that not all men want their doctors to use other terms.

I don't think slang is the issue but communication

I don't get that joke...

I wonder if its because she explains things and if I was female she would not need to.

Just rapport. She worked in Aus for a few years part of it in a men's clinic and maybe thats why.
    I love my doc too ...............to use bar-room terminology when dealing with all members of the general public.

I am educated and really just plucked a term out of the air but if bar room language is all that is understood by male patients well ..........

EDIT - well Ickle are ya really sure I'm not immature :p

EDIT - well Ickle are ya really sure I'm not immature :p

I'm pleading the fifth. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

I think I'd get up and leave the surgery if my doctor used the term "hard-on". I want my doctor to be professional and mature, thanks.

yawha wrote: »
    I think I'd get up and leave the surgery if my doctor used the term "hard-on". I want my doctor to be professional and mature, thanks.

OK - back to serious.

I want my doctor to be able to effectively communicate with me and vice versa.

And, I don't want health information campaigns to be beyond mine or other mens comprehension.

So if guys are embarressed whats causing it and what might fix it.

John Hartson the footballer and cancer survivor had a brain operation after his late diagnosed testicular cancer gave him brain cancer. So this issue can cost lives. So thats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

GalKiefer wrote: »
    In my experience the only thing that men are usually reluctant to talk about is depression, I'd imagine because there's still a belief that it's a sign of "weakness" in a person.

As regards my own doctor at home -I'd a great professional relationship with him because he was able to call a spade a spade which made me more relaxed when dealing with him.

depression does stem from weakness , those who have it ( myself included ) were unable to keep it at bay , we gave up the battle , its un pc to say it but depression is an afliction of the emotionally fragile

irishh_bob wrote: »
    depression does stem from weakness , those who have it ( myself included ) were unable to keep it at bay , we gave up the battle , its un pc to say it but depression is an afliction of the emotionally fragile

Fair ****s to you for posting on it. :)

So communication with a GP is up there to you.

We are all fairly well educated here but and we are posting from a point of view that we can access what we need but that hardly applies to everyone like those who are functuinally illiterate approx 25% of the population.

Its not me who wrote the article in the OP about the barriers to communication.

There's this great book called "Why Do Men Have Nipples: Hundreds of Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Martini" which is a lot like this. Some very strange questions in there!

There's this great book called "Why Do Men Have Nipples: Hundreds of Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Martini" which is a lot like this. Some very strange questions in there!

So if you had to pick a good one , what would it be ????

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

I disagree, many situations can bring on depression. I would say a sign of weakness is when you do nothing about it and try and bottle it up.
    Everyone has problems and difficulties but not everyone has a strong support network around them.

CdeC wrote: »
    I disagree, many situations can bring on depression. I would say a sign of weakness is when you do nothing about it and try and bottle it up.
    Everyone has problems and difficulties but not everyone has a strong support network around them.

what if you have tried doing something about it any nothing works but you find you havent the bottle to end it , how can that be described as anything but weakness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭28064212

As Ickle pointed out, breasts are the technical term. Vulva sounds like a car model, vagina like a recipe, and labia like a... I have no idea, but those are all terms doctors would use with women.

There are many faults in Men's Health at the moment, but terminology is the very least of them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Clinical depression falls into the same category of mental disorders as Alzheimer's and Schizophrenia, would you call sufferers of those weak and emotionally fragile as well?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »

There are many faults in Men's Health at the moment, but terminology is the very least of them

It was Tim Samuels the Radio Presenter and Dr Mark Hamilton that wrote the article and they say that men are embaressed.

Do you agree or disagree.

I teased Ickle because I post with her sometimes and enjoyed the banter, but, there is a serious side and that is that men are shyer than women in discussing their bodies.

Why is that?

It was Tim Samuels the Radio Presenter and Dr Mark Hamilton that wrote the article and they say that men are embaressed.

Do you agree or disagree.
    Agree.

Where is there any mention that men are embarrassed because of the terminology? As far as I can see, you were the only one who raised that point, and that is what I'm disagreeing with

Where is there any mention that men are embarrassed because of the terminology? As far as I can see, you were the only one who raised that point, and that is what I'm disagreeing with

OK, thats allowed,I am saying embarressment and ignorance (vocabulary and health education) are big factors , what reason's do you think.

I am reasonably interlligient (Ickle may disagree :D) and I am describing myself here too.

Clinical depression falls into the same category of mental disorders as Alzheimer's and Schizophrenia, would you call sufferers of those weak and emotionally fragile as well?

thier are many schools of thought when it comes to depression , all i know is that i sensed depression was at the gate over a decade ago but instead of taking the correct steps , surrendered , the dignified thing to do when that happens is to end it but i decided to live on my knees instead , depression is punishment for not having the guts to kill yourself when your life falls apart , i firmly believe that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

thier are many schools of thought when it comes to depression , all i know is that i sensed depression was at the gate over a decade ago but instead of taking the correct steps , surrendered , the dignified thing to do when that happens is to end it but i decided to live on my knees instead , depression is punishment for not having the guts to kill yourself when your life falls apart , i firmly believe that

I'm sorry that you feel that way, because although you may believe it, it is 100% incorrect. It's not a punishment of any sort. It's a result of either a chemical imbalance in the brain, or a temporary stumbling block that can be brought on by various crises that many people could face over the course of their lives. Through medication or counseling most people can either get entirely past the depression or at least develop tools to make depressive episodes less severe and shorter in duration.

Good luck to you.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, because although you may believe it, it is 100% incorrect. It's not a punishment of any sort. It's a result of either a chemical imbalance in the brain, or a temporary stumbling block that can be brought on by various crises that many people could face over the course of their lives. Through medication or counseling most people can either get entirely past the depression or at least develop tools to make depressive episodes less severe and shorter in duration.

Good luck to you.

going on 13 years since an event triggered my depression , never gone a day without it since , should have dealt with it like a man from the start , i cant complain , the universe doesnt require you to be happy

OK, thats allowed,I am saying embarressment and ignorance (vocabulary and health education) are big factors , what reason's do you think.

I am reasonably interlligient (Ickle may disagree :D) and I am describing myself here too.

I agree that embarrassment is a factor but in my experience that is usually down to men feeling they shouldn't be going to a doctors at all or to do so unless they really are on deaths door is somehow emasculating - and the biggest culprits I've witnessed in ribbing men about taking better care of themselves in general has been other men; man flu jibes aside.

Until you posted, I've never previously heard any man complain that he doesn't want a prostate exam or a lump on his testicles investigated because the doctor won't dumb down the consultation.

• Advertisement

Until you posted, I've never previously heard any man complain that he doesn't want a prostate exam or a lump on his testicles investigated because the doctor won't dumb down the consultation.

Last year - a female colleague's Dad died of prostate cancer - neither her husband or any of her 5 brothers knew what had caused his death or how to go about getting tested etc . Another guy in my social circle died of testicular cancer -inoperable - died 10 weeks from diagnosis.

Add fear and ignorance together.

I am not too far off that level of ignorance.

Advertisement