Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help explaining this?

Options
  • 20-08-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭

Well Folks,

close friend of mine was at home on her own (apart from her cat) last night and she woke up about 3am because she felt a presence in the room with her. when it happened the cat got up off the bed and stood in the middle of the room staring at the bedroom door. she continued to do this for 20 mins and didnt make a sound at all.

So the cat eventually climbed back up on the bed and my friend fell back asleep.. then the freaky part... when she woke up this morning she walked out across the hall way and there was a picture of her passed away gran face down on a table.. This has totally freaked her out and i was wondering is there a logical explanation to all of this??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Well Folks,

close friend of mine was at home on her own (apart from her cat) last night and she woke up about 3am because she felt a presence in the room with her. when it happened the cat got up off the bed and stood in the middle of the room staring at the bedroom door. she continued to do this for 20 mins and didnt make a sound at all.

So the cat eventually climbed back up on the bed and my friend fell back asleep.. then the freaky part... when she woke up this morning she walked out across the hall way and there was a picture of her passed away gran face down on a table.. This has totally freaked her out and i was wondering is there a logical explanation to all of this??

Thanks
    no panic,this kind of thing happens to people more than you think,her gran is just letting her know that she is watching over her,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Thats what i was thinking but i didnt wanna frighten her.. Thanks

Thats what i was thinking but i didnt wanna frighten her.. Thanks
    tell her she is a lucky girl that her gran cares enough about her to give her a sign,notice the cat did not panic, animals are very physic,

Shes not convinced it was her gran because she was frightened during it and it didnt feel like it was someone she knew..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tell her not to stress. She is always safe. In situations like this it is instinct to feel afraid but its just ghost stories and films that have us conditioned to think its something bad. Remember the cat woulda been out of there pronto if there had been a real threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

It's also possible that she wasn't used to the experience, and this may have been why she felt that the presence was unfamiliar, and thus frightening. I know I'd probably be startled if I experienced something like that, if I hadn't experienced it before. Either way, in the absence of any other logical/scientific explanation it might be more reassuring to think that it might indeed have been her gran giving her a sign, in addition to being quite possible. At the end of the day, your friend may never find a proper answer for what she experienced, so she may as well think the best of it, if it makes her feel better.

Edit: Update:

Oryx wrote: »
    Tell her not to stress. She is always safe. In situations like this it is instinct to feel afraid but its just ghost stories and films that have us conditioned to think its something bad. Remember the cat woulda been out of there pronto if there had been a real threat.

That's very true, especially regarding the cat... animals can perceive actual threats better than a person could... by comparison, we'd jump at our own shadow if we only now just noticed it was there!

Shes terrified its gonna happen again tonight..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is nothing bad around her and she is perfectly safe. I had experiences like that for years and only got past the fear once I realised nothing 'out there' could hurt me, and the only damaging thing was being afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

getz wrote:
    no panic,this kind of thing happens to people more than you think,her gran is just letting her know that she is watching over her,
    Exactly what i was thinking when i read her message!!

Nothing to be afraid of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The picture on the table probably toppled over during the night, and that noise is what woke both her and the cat. Nothing spooky at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Was the picture there before?
    I wouldn't consider this strange really. The events could be unrelated. If I passed a face down picture during the day, I'd just put it back up again without a second thought - the cat could have knocked it over.
    When one wakes up in the middle of the night, they are going to feel startled, even slightly threatened. Cats become mesmerized by any old thing, even a piece of dust or flying lint etc.
    Saying that, I am by no means a skeptic - I just don't think there are enough signs here to point to something paranormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Was the picture on the table before or on the wall or a mantle piece beside the table prior to it being found on the table?

Also is it possible that someone else may have moved the picture while doing something or was it taken down or moved for any reason, maybe decorating? Maybe someone moved it and forgot to put it back!?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

I don't think there is anything to feel scared about the incident in the first place. If there was at all any evil spirit than the reaction of cat might have been quite offensive than just staring and going back to sleep like everything is alright. The girl is scared just out of our normal mentality that something scary might was there like some evil spirit is praying over us. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Any update OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

meryem wrote: »
    If there was at all any evil spirit than the reaction of cat might have been quite offensive

neguncat.jpg

Rasmus wrote: »
    Was the picture there before?
    I wouldn't consider this strange really. The events could be unrelated. If I passed a face down picture during the day, I'd just put it back up again without a second thought - the cat could have knocked it over.
    When one wakes up in the middle of the night, they are going to feel startled, even slightly threatened. Cats become mesmerized by any old thing, even a piece of dust or flying lint etc.
    Saying that, I am by no means a skeptic - I just don't think there are enough signs here to point to something paranormal.

Ziycon wrote: »
    Was the picture on the table before or on the wall or a mantle piece beside the table prior to it being found on the table?

Also is it possible that someone else may have moved the picture while doing something or was it taken down or moved for any reason, maybe decorating? Maybe someone moved it and forgot to put it back!?

The Picture was upright and nobody else was in the house for a few days.
    Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Any update OP?

It hasnt happened since but she is still weary of it. Nothing more to update folks but i will let you know if it happens again.

Ok so freaky update folks...

She was in the house on her own friday evening and kept seeing white flashes or lights in the corner of her eye coming from the hallway while sitting in the sittingroom. She got to see what it was but there was nothing to alert her there.. the cat didnt react either so i dunno what to tell her...

This has lead to her not wanting to stay in the house on her own..

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

There are always the obvious explanations - she could be lying, exaggerating, she may have been sleep walking etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It'd be hard to know without knowing the layout of the room. Is there a window?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

mmmm this is a good one the cat bit is weird cats dont usually do that ,but as the person posted this wants to try and find a logical explantion would it be the cat that knocked down the picture i dont know if were on the wall or on a nearby table the picture but maybe it was the gran ,,,as they say when you rule out all the logical explanations then you must look for stranger ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Does she get migraines? Not trying to be funny, but before i get one, I'm really restless for a week or so, can't sleep right, feel anxious and unwell, and get very pronounced flashing in my peripheral vision which look like little globes of white and blue lights. These can last for seconds at a time, and on many occasions, before I've realised what's going on, I've been convinced that the flashes were in the room, as opposed to being in my vision...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Chinee lanterns

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

pookie82 wrote: »
    Does she get migraines? Not trying to be funny, but before i get one, I'm really restless for a week or so, can't sleep right, feel anxious and unwell, and get very pronounced flashing in my peripheral vision which look like little globes of white and blue lights. These can last for seconds at a time, and on many occasions, before I've realised what's going on, I've been convinced that the flashes were in the room, as opposed to being in my vision...

I suffer from migraines and get these also, I also get what look like raindrops in peripheral vision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

getz wrote: »

I don't think it was her gran.

If it was her gran she wouldn't be afraid. She wouldn't feel like it was a stranger.

And if it was someone who was coming often, the cat wouldn't get upset. The cat may have even come to like the visitor.

Why would her gran - who would look over her - turn her own photograph down.

That actually sounds like someone trying to block her gran's protective force out.

It doesn't make sense, does it.

It's probably not an evil spirit.....just someone trying to come back . They might be a little bad if her gran is trying to stop them.

Doesn't look like her gran is doing a good job - does it?

krd wrote: »
    I don't think it was her gran.

If it was her gran she wouldn't be afraid. She wouldn't feel like it was a stranger.

And if it was someone who was coming often, the cat wouldn't get upset. The cat may have even come to like the visitor.

Why would her gran - who would look over her - turn her own photograph down.

That actually sounds like someone trying to block her gran's protective force out.

It doesn't make sense, does it.

It's probably not an evil spirit.....just someone trying to come back . They might be a little bad if her gran is trying to stop them.

Doesn't look like her gran is doing a good job - does it?
    you may well be right,but i base my thinking on the fact that many family visitations come in the form of family pictures being moved ,turned over and even knocked off walls,it is one of the ways spirits let you know who it is that is visiting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

you may well be right,but i base my thinking on the fact that many family visitations come in the form of family pictures being moved ,turned over and even knocked off walls,it is one of the ways spirits let you know who it is that is visiting you.
    I took down the family pictures and put up paintings, if they knock off one of those, they better pray they stay dead.....

I took down the family pictures and put up paintings, if they knock off one of those, they better pray they stay dead.....
    why not enjoy the idea that a a spirit is around and it is letting you know,i find it great comfort

why not enjoy the idea that a a spirit is around and it is letting you know,i find it great comfort

When I was younger I used to believe in the notion of spirits, demons, angels, heaven and hell because we were told all those were linked and that they all existed. It went hand in hand with Sunday mass, saying the Angelus, blessing yourself when passing a chapel or on hearing the bells.

Now I'm not going to sit here and blame the Catholic church, or any church, for pushing an archaic system of beliefs over a vulnerable population in order to achieve wealth or forced respect, but I will blame them for sustaining that system after mankind emerged from the dark ages.

When I go into a chapel for any service now, out of respect to whoever invited me, I see people taking part in a routine which must be of comfort, so from that point it is a good thing. It's just the bitterness shown by some of the very same people towards some sections of the community that are different or have different beliefs to their own I find this both a contradiction and disturbing at a very base level.

Personally, I believe that life is all about balance (karma, ying & yang...call it what you will), so from my point of view spirits cannot exist without the superstitions, pishogues and dark elements which balance that notion. I have long since given up throwing a pinch of salt over my shoulder, or burying an egg in my neighbours garden.

I don't know what happens to our life force when we die, whether it's snuffed out completely, whether it's transferred to another dimension, if it's recycled into another life form or even if it still exists in some invisible form around us. But, more importantly, nobody else knows either.

So ultimately, I suppose the moral is, live and let live and I will get my comforts from knowing I was good to, and there for, any of my family while they were alive, and not try to make up for it by believing any settlement creak in this old house is Nanna saying Hi!

i used to think like you,untill strange things started to happen ,that i could not explain ,like i would know when a telephone would ring,and who would be on the other end,then when i started seeing ghosts,and sometimes when people started talking to me ,i would have flashes of insight of their problems,i cannot just wish these thing up,it just happens,

• Advertisement

I think you need to give more credit to the human brain.

For instance, I think we can take it that you and I don't know each other, yet I can sense that you are not on a home computer today, you are probably on a phone now....am I psychic? No, I'm observant.

We have not even scratched the capabilities of the human brain and are only aware of a very small part of its capabilities, but to assume something is supernatural just because you don't understand it is hardly progressive thinking.

Did you ever consider that it is your mind interpriting what you see in a form you can understand?

Advertisement