Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP ME! to convert misses in to gamer! :D

Options
  • 19-08-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Misses needs a hobby. so i allways toying with idea of starting some gaming.

She loved to watch me play BC2 or COD multiplayer ( yeah yeah), but she newer wanted to play it herself. :(

I chanced one thing yesterday... i gave her my iphone with peggle on it... misses gone for 2hours... today after work she demanded for my phone! :p

i wanted to get 3DS as its a really good deal now. 2 things that pushed me away from owning one - price and lack of games. price droped, so one problem less. :) I newer had DS, but i allways wanted to own one. So i have a huge backlog for myself do discover. This is even better now as i can get misses hooked on it too!!!

So what i need from you guys: suggestions for 3DS and DS games that would be fun for my misses, aka a gamer female newby! :o

THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well if she's new to gaming get her NEw SuperMario Bros on DS it's not that hard so would suit a novice it also looks and plays brilliantly.

Edit: NSMB DS also has multiplayer and it's gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

For the DS:

Professor Layton (any of them)
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Atorney (or any of the sequels)
    Elite Beat Agents

Happily gave my weeks of peace on the laptop blowing things up, except for occasional requests to google solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Try Peggle on the 360, it's hugely competitive in multi-player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Ah the eternal struggle, best of luck! Maybe get her Peggle on the DS then Professor Layton,the sims or Bejeweled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Layton is great idea, i would actuolly fool around with it myself too!

bejeweled! good idea, but that is allmoust same as putting her on crack lol! :)

i got ps3 xbox too, but dunno what would be good for her there. i tryed once to hook her up on ps3 little games, but it didnt went well. i am so surprised that she so hooked up on peggle, she goes for high scores... she is better then me at it!

i am thinking of plants vs zombies and angry birds on phone too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Start of small , welcome to a step by step guide

Angry birds-pac man-super mario-the sims-cod4 or mw2 then she be hooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

have her to try some of the demos for some of the arcade games on xbox, would save you splashing out for new hardware. Plants vs Zombies and Braid could be runners maybe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i'd imagine getting her a new phone with some casual games on it would be a good start. Although Professor Layton would be a fantastic starting point. Maybe ween her with simple co-op games, eg I snagged my niece into playing Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light because it's co-op. Also LA Noire lol.

Small games, easily accessible games. Do u have a Wii? Wii sports especially tennis is a great way to snag ur other half in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well if she's new to gaming get her NEw SuperMario Bros on DS it's not that hard so would suit a novice it also looks and plays brilliantly.

Edit: NSMB DS also has multiplayer and it's gas!

Completely agree with this one. And if she doesn't like it, you definitely will because it's just great craic.

Outside of that, I'd recommend the old MEtal Slug games (If you have a PS2, you can pick up Metal Slug Anthology which has seven Metal Slug games on the one disc). Easy to learn pick-up-and-play arade fun without unlimited continues, so no matter how many times she gets ****, she can just hit start and keep going. Also, it's co-op, not competitive, so there's no friction between the players. Me and my ex (before she was my ex) used to play the hell outta that disc, and we always had a great laugh doing so.

thx so far lads.

i dont mind buying 3ds, as if she wount be playing with it, i will.

plus DS has best casual line up out of all consoles.

i did tryed before trials of games from ps3, but she didnt respond well, she did played a bit, but droped very fast.

layton is really a runner! mario games are too, but i dont know what mario games are on DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Final fantasy X

Everyone loves Yuna.

Well I am off to town with misses. Waiting for her in sunbathing thing...

After that gamestop lolololol.

Will have to get games for myself and herself. I heard nintendo shop is open too now? Are prices allright for older titles or crazy like anything from nintendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Get her Plants VS Zombies on the DS, though you may not see her for a few weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

This is what worked for me:

First: Peggle (Ode to Joy works wonders it seems) and World of Goo (I reckon Angry Birds would be good too)
    Then: Plants Versus Zombies
    Then: Portal

And after that she'll have some aiming, timing and puzzle-solving skills down and will be used to a first-person orientation.

Wow I sound really manipulative now but getting her into games wasn't really intentional. She just liked World of Goo when she watched me playing it on the Wii and I figured she'd like these games as I got them for her.

well lads. i am just back home. charging up 3DS.

got zelda game
    Professor leyton and some curious village
    final fantasy tactics A2 ( for myself )

i wanted to get some DS mario games, but second hand they are so expencive! i decided to check online for bargains.

she is out in cork on her own to raid the shops now, so i got time to set up the thing. She LOVES black ops, but she allways had an excuse that she like to watch it, not play it. i had a chat with her, and it turns out, that she would love to play it, but she is afraid to do someting bad and people will be angry at her and she will get my account banned! :o

Black ops would be too complicated for her at this stage ( oh god that even sounds wrong ), so i want to start her off from small platformers and ather easyer games, so she can use to controls in general.

yesterday she spent 4 hours on peggle!!! she is beating my highscores! i think there is potential there! :D

Suggestions on DS games please. all welcome that wount be too complicated, but would teach her of controls.

suggestion for me too! i newer had DS, so i am looking forward to good games on it. RPGs turned based strategies and general fun stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What if she likes it? And then eats into your gaming time and hogs the consoles.

havent thought this tru have you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

The Sims

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What if she likes it? And then eats into your gaming time and hogs the consoles.

havent thought this tru have you :D

it will do only better lol. xbox and ps3 are collecting dust. my pc is still very powerfull, but i will be biulding new one later this year, so i will have 2 at home anyway.

so this is not an issue, but dinner, gigidi times can suffer! :o

i just want her to be happy, she needs some hobby, as we got in routine of work/home/work/home. Needs something to brighten it up. house is full of my "toys", so why not make a use of it :D

i just hope later on she will be playing LoL or BF3 and own noobs like a boss! :D. She has an extreme taste for multiplayer fps blood. I cant give her black ops or bc2 now as it will confuse her more and put her away from gaming. i am doingit with baby steps :D. Lets hope it will work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

"honey can we have sex now?"
    "No! I have to wipe the smirk off that stupid Unicorn in Peggle"

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Skerries wrote: »
    "Hey love how're you doing over there?"
    "**** YOU YOU ****ING ZOMBIE DOLPHIN *****!"

True story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Skerries wrote: »

Bjorn always looks happy/constipated :D

okay okay lads, we all now know, that i wount be getting any sex! lets move on and talk about games? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

They're a little old now but the Scene It games on XBOX360 are pretty good for "non-gamers." My girlfriend and her sister used to play it quite regularly.

Chicks also love Tetris :P

Okay. Professor Layton was a big fail.

It's good game, but not what I need now. Its really rewarding and puzzles are awesome, but it's hard too.

I need something so she can learn to control stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Pokemon possibly?
    It's got quite the simple look and anyone can play.....but it does get insanely deep if you want (for competitive players)

i am thinking of something simple. platformer etc. i will need to get that mario game on DS.

i am thinking of something simple. platformer etc. i will need to get that mario game on DS.

Nailed it in one there, dude. Mario is the main man for the job in this situation, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Try it portable? :pac:

Fr7oo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Little big planet, Dance Central & Zumba for yummy missus ;)

Advertisement