Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

The win was brilliant but more news of something not right in the camp as Brother Phillip has stepped down. I hope this is the end of all the negative news now as Sean Cullinane steps in. Hope this is a good move for all concerned. As players I had the greatest respect for Sean and Ken but you have to wonder if these moves were made earlier would we have done better with a settled backroom team. Scully has had a real baptism of fire so today he must be breathing a sigh of relief Best of luck for the rest of the year, things all of a sudden seem a bit brighter hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Black Suir wrote: »
    According to RTE Sport in their report on today's game, are saying that Brother Philip Ryan has stood down as a selector and is to be replaced by Sean Cullinane, a good move in my eyes if true.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0325/313466-galway-waterford/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100003042696667

Quite the clear out..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Hslaw wrote: »
    Its a much nicer pitch than walsh park.

it can tend to be a bit windy at times
    brother ryan gone sean cullinane in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Congrats Waterford on a good win today against Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

According to RTE Sport in their report on today's game, are saying that Brother Philip Ryan has stood down as a selector and is to be replaced by Sean Cullinane, a good move in my eyes if true.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2012/0325/313466-galway-waterford/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100003042696667

Ok now im confused. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? After a great win today comes this news. Good move you say? Really? 2 selectors stepping down in the space of a week? basically scully ryans entire management team is gone.

can I just say though its been a good day for mick ryan regardless. deserved a bit of a break after a disasterous start to his reign. Basically from the eoin kelly saga, to john mullane allegedly quitting to the nicky cashin thing. Its been one controversy after another. Todays win gives us great hope, You know what were not dead and gone were still a good team and have some great hurlers. We just need to get all these other issues that are apparantly holding us back ironed out now before the championship is upon us. And if we can do that while maintaining division one status it will be a great coup for skully ryan indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Its a much nicer pitch than walsh park.

it can tend to be a bit windy at times

Their both Dumps lets be honest, if that crowd of know alls who call themselves a county board had any sense 10 yrs ago they would have sold up Walsh park an Fraher field an built a new ground halfway between the both of them off the main road where people could park at ease and had facilities similar to Carriganore. we dont need 2 grounds.If they had of done this we could be hosting all ireland qualifiers and maybe even concerts an be making money like other counties,instead of taking money from us the supporters the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Ok now im confused. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? After a great win today comes this news. Good move you say? Really? 2 selectors stepping down in the space of a week? basically scully ryans entire management team is gone.

can I just say though its been a good day for mick ryan regardless. deserved a bit of a break after a disasterous start to his reign. Basically from the eoin kelly saga, to john mullane allegedly quitting to the nicky cashin thing. Its been one controversy after another. Todays win gives us great hope, You know what were not dead and gone were still a good team and have some great hurlers. We just need to get all these other issues that are apparantly holding us back ironed out now before the championship is upon us. And if we can do that while maintaining division one status it will be a great coup for skully ryan indeed

By a good move, I mean bringing in Sean Cullinane, more that Brother Philip leaving if it is true. In the last number of years Waterford have had problems in the back line and i have often felt that the Rock from Passage was the man needed to bring in and try and shore it up, ie. give the players some coaching by a player who was one of the best to play for Waterford in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Ok now im confused. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? After a great win today comes this news. Good move you say? Really? 2 selectors stepping down in the space of a week?

One would wonder had Br. Ryan made up his mind to go, but after the Galway game. Would seem to leave Michael Ryans chosen management team in tatters though, and one would wonder if we're done seeing changes yet..

Their both Dumps lets be honest, if that crowd of know alls who call themselves a county board had any sense 10 yrs ago they would have sold up Walsh park an Fraher field an built a new ground halfway between the both of them off the main road where people could park at ease and had facilities similar to Carriganore. we dont need 2 grounds.If they had of done this we could be hosting all ireland qualifiers and maybe even concerts an be making money like other counties,instead of taking money from us the supporters the whole time.

Why half way between them (Waterford and Dungarvan). There is a large amount of the county North and West of Dungarvan and these people who are amongst the best in the county should be remembered when we do or did think of any new site for a county ground. The ideal place would be somewhere outside of Abbeyside, maybe between Abbeyside and the Golf Club just of the main Waterford/Dungarvan road, but in this area land would be at a premium and if we did buy in the past would we be able to pay for it now, when you consider we could not pay for a bus for the minors to play a challenge game recently in Limerick and for the gear/drink the seniors were suppoed to be looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Great result today, it's a nice feeling winning like that :)

Fraher Field's pitch is in superb condition at the moment, usually is. I like Fraher Field but I would agree we'd do better to have a bigger stadium and not have Walsh Park because it's an awful hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Why half way between them (Waterford and Dungarvan). There is a large amount of the county North and West of Dungarvan and these people who are amongst the best in the county should be remembered when we do or did think of any new site for a county ground. The ideal place would be somewhere outside of Abbeyside, maybe between Abbeyside and the Golf Club just of the main Waterford/Dungarvan road, but in this area land would be at a premium and if we did buy in the past would we be able to pay for it now, when you consider we could not pay for a bus for the minors to play a challenge game recently in Limerick and for the gear/drink the seniors were suppoed to be looking for.

The reason i said halfway between the city an dungarvan is because i knew someone from the west would disagree if i said the city so cant win really can i?? an i was just makin a comment as an example,the majority of county grounds across ireland i would say are located very close to the city or main town within their county. so i thought halfway between the main town in the west which in my eyes would be Dungarvan and the east of waterford is the city that was my reason, but i take on board what your sayin Black Suir hard to please everyone, sorry if i offended you.. I did also state it should of been done 10 years ago in the boom time's where these grounds would have been sold for good money.Wont ever happen in my lifetime now tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

good man yourself,well said ,is it true that when sean kelly was president of the gaa that he told us huge grant available to develop carriganore ,to 25/30 thousand stadium ,but the western board wanted to change a light bulb in the toilet in fraher field, and eastern board wanted to cut the grass ,either way the grant went to galway ,the main reason this county is so ****ed up is because all the bitching between the 2 boards and until someone with a pair of balls decides that this cant go on indefinetly ,then the lack of sucess stays the same ,also if we had sold two dumps in the boom probably would have reached 100 million ,that would have earned €8000 a day in interest alone job done ,there like those people who fight over land and end up with **** all ,sound familliar ,jesus im losing it not a mention of cody or kk

Great result today, it's a nice feeling winning like that :)

Fraher Field's pitch is in superb condition at the moment, usually is. I like Fraher Field but I would agree we'd do better to have a bigger stadium and not have Walsh Park because it's an awful hole.

I agree with you what you have to say about the two grounds. If we are/were to develop one of them, it would have to be Fraher Field as there is plenty of room on the Currans boreen side to develop the facilities as could be done at the road end of the ground. If these two sides of the field were ever done, work could be carried out on the stand side of the field to extend it or to replace it as there is room behind it. The biggest problems developing the ground now might the the pilons for the lighting. Could they be moved and if not, how many people would be willing to sit behind them or near them and watch a game.

good man yourself,well said ,is it true that when sean kelly was president of the gaa that he told us huge grant available to develop carriganore ,to 25/30 thousand stadium ,but the western board wanted to change a light bulb in the toilet in fraher field, and eastern board wanted to cut the grass ,either way the grant went to galway ,the main reason this county is so ****ed up is because all the bitching between the 2 boards and until someone with a pair of balls decides that this cant go on indefinetly ,then the lack of sucess stays the same ,also if we had sold two dumps in the boom probably would have reached 100 million ,that would have earned €8000 a day in interest alone job done ,there like those people who fight over land and end up with **** all ,sound familliar ,jesus im losing it not a mention of cody or kk

Are you sure you are not talking about the grant that the then Minister Martin Cullen was supposed to have secured to develop Walsh Park, but our county board at the time did not take it up as they were supposed to be wanting to move to Carriganore. I cant see the GAA ever pumping the money into that ground to make it into a 20,000 plus capacity as other sports are played out there. The GAA will only put the massive sums of money into grounds under their own control and rightly so.

What Id like to see and I think its the most viable option is an upgrade of a stadium in Carriganore. We do not need a Semple Stadium, Pairc Ui Caoimh or Gealic Grounds in Waterford but we need a stadium to call our own and cater for all our home intercounty matches in all codes in all grades. Im talkin of something similar to Nowlan Park 12 to 15,000 capacity. Keep Fraher Field its decent enough pitch and good enough for club games ect but Walsh Park is an ugly kip.

I think Carriganore is ideally placed aswell as just being off the motorway its very accessible from the west aswell aswell as being on the ring road.

we have the same problem in tipp with these 'divisional' boards. its like the Fianna Fail government and the way quangos were set up so they could stuff them with their cronies. they serve no useful purpose whatsoever. one county should have one board and one only and thats the bottom line. have teams set up to organise fixtures within each division alright but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

just said I'd mention. Waterford under 14 girls beat Tipperary under 14's today in Stradbally.

i

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Fantastic win today, all of a sudden our year is looking a lot more more positive again. Should avoid a relegation play-off now which seemed kind of unthinkable 7 days ago. Cant see Kilkenny losing two weeks in a row. Dublin may not be too bothered or field their strongest team next week with a relagation play off pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Fantastic win today, all of a sudden our year is looking a lot more more positive again. Should avoid a relegation play-off now which seemed kind of unthinkable 7 days ago. Cant see Kilkenny losing two weeks in a row. Dublin may not be too bothered or field their strongest team next week with a relagation play off pending.

Ye lets take the Galway approach and the Dubs will beat the **** out of us:eek:

Fentdog84 wrote: »

Yea if Dublin are already in a relegation payoff win lose or draw they mightened see the need to go full throttle against us. Then again theyd probably prefer us in a playoff than Galway, besides we shouldnt be depending on other teams slacking to stay up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

The reason i said halfway between the city an dungarvan is because i knew someone from the west would disagree if i said the city so cant win really can i?? an i was just makin a comment as an example,the majority of county grounds across ireland i would say are located very close to the city or main town within their county. so i thought halfway between the main town in the west which in my eyes would be Dungarvan and the east of waterford is the city that was my reason, but i take on board what your sayin Black Suir hard to please everyone, sorry if i offended you.. I did also state it should of been done 10 years ago in the boom time's where these grounds would have been sold for good money.Wont ever happen in my lifetime now tho..

I agree with everything you say about the logistics behind having a pitch built somewhere around Lemybrien say.... but in my opinion the greatest stumbling block would be the support from the city crowd, as the majority of them may aswell be walking off a cliff face as to be venturing out past the Whitfield Clinic/Holy Cross bar... I reckong we'd loss some of the crowd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

thesultan wrote: »
    Here comes Jamie Nagle the single handed golfer:mad:

WLR commentary is a disaster, Kieran O Connor is a crap radio commentator, his usual classic is 'OOOO A GREAT POINT...if it hadnt tailed left just at the end' or OOOH a great point... if it went over...

I was streaming it on the Iphone and the reception stopped for a second, did i bit o buffering and when it came back on he said the score was 1-13 to 1-11, i was thinking ah b0lllix, galway have got a goal, the next time he says a score then no goal, the funny thing is he was giving out about the scoreboard operators at the game getting it wrong...

listening to his commentary for the closing minutes of a close tense game = a new version of hell, he is about as reliable as reading tea leaves to divine the result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

anyway two selectors leaving like that obviously means things were a shambles up to this point, whatever is going on it cant be good, with all this going on and the start to the league we have had it was real backs to the wall stuff in Pearse Stadium yesterday, I find it encouraging that under these circumstances young players like Stephen O Keefe, Philip Mahony, Jake Dillon and Gavin O brien performed well, as well as the new additions from last year of Daragh Fives and Paudie Mahony.

Basically we were going through the shyte the last few weeks and these young men showed that they are made of the right stuff yesterday and pulled out of a performance when things werent going our way, fair play to them and hopefully it is a sign of something positive to come and these young men will become the leaders Waterford need over the next few years. there are a hell of alot of talented young players in waterford, who seem to be making the transition to senior very quickly. getting more men involved from the 98 era onwards is a huge positive as well.
    Beat Dublin next week, avoid the relgetion battle and onwards and upwards from here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Dublin have a strong panel. I'd imagine they've had some sort of rotation the past three weeks given they've been out non stop. If they do give a few fringe players a chance it could have the opposite effect, as they'll all be bursting a gut to get noticed. Won't be an easy game either way and we're not out of the woods by any means, even if yesterday was a fantastic result.

.[QUOTE= Won't be an easy game either way and we're not out of the woods by any means, even if yesterday was a fantastic result.[/QUOTE]

but it gives us a bit of hope something we haven't had at all this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

What is the format of the league in terms of the semi final places, do the top 4 teams go into semi finals? If that's the case then technically speaking we could still win the league!

What is the format of the league in terms of the semi final places, do the top 4 teams go into semi finals? If that's the case then technically speaking we could still win the league!

its the top three teams and the top team from 1B go into the semis

we'd be lucky to avoid relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Get a grip if people want to live in the sticks let them but we won't be building a new stadium up in the are hole of no where to accommodate them.. Cariganore is the only place to build as its closest to main bulk of the population in the city full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

its the top three teams and the top team from 1B go into the semis

we'd be lucky to avoid relegation
    Thanks, I didn't think we'd make the semis but couldn't work out how there could only be 3 teams in the semis, interesting that the top team from 1B gets the 4th semi place.

It's hard to call the Dublin game, I think they are better than us at the moment and they've shown good performances against Tipp & KK but with us at playing home and a bit of confidence in us, who knows.

• Advertisement

it's a do or die game. don't fancy playing the dubs twice i have no doubt KK will beat galway. so we must win. we will have to throw everything at them kitchen sink washing machine and fridge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement