Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing? - The Calm before the Storm Edition

Options
  • 19-08-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭

We're just coming to the end of a slump now, with some great games coming out over the next few weeks (starting with Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii today and Deus Ex:HR next week).

What has everyone been playing over the last couple of weeks while big releases slowed to a trickle?

On the 360, I'm juggling Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and Bastion for XBLA. On disc games, I'm still slogging through Mass Effect and Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom....

Haven't turned on the PS3 for a while, and I'm near the end of Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii (back playing it again after not playing it for a few months).

I'm playing Zelda:OOT and Pilotwings on the 3DS, and Groove Coaster and Flick Soccer on the iPod.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Picked up Oblivion (360) for a fiver second hand sans cover but thankfully it plays perfectly. To be honest I'm not sure I have the patience for this sort of game. I complain about modern titles being too linear and catering more for the online play but I find myself tiring of this very quickly and I've only started!

Blah blah blah walk around follow a way point and talk some sh!t about stuff to people.

I'm pretty sure I haven't given it enough of my time. I may just go back to flashy Bayonetta..........I can't complain about the RSI then (feck there's a joke in there somewhere!).

I do still love these guys and their reviews. Pity they weren't picked up by any other channel other than BBC Scotland (they went on from Consolevania to do Video Gaiden).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've actually been trying to only casually play games so that I'm free to delve into the new batch that are coming along. That said, I've only recently started playing The Witcher 2, so that's gonig to take a while to finish.

I've gotten back into playing Rock Band on the PS3. I've no idea which one. It's been ages since I played it, but I find it great for relaxing after a stressful day. I'm also playing a little bit of Minecraft and Metro 2033 (I got a new gfx card so wanted to see that all maxed out).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well with the complete absence of a release date for Guardian Heroes XBLA, Im stuck with 2300 points on my account, so probably pick up Clash of Heroes HD and Outland over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I just want to play Skyrim :(

Gave Crysis 2 a go there last week. Looks gorgeous, but got incredibly bored about half way, only finished it out of stubbornness really, so repetitive. Amnesia Dark Descent was cool, and just about the right length I'd say. I'm thinking of giving Morrowind another run through, as I only played it once and that was a long time ago. But I'd like to use a collection of the best mods but I'm not sure I have the patience for that.

I've started SpaceChem recently, and it has to be one of the most clever, original and difficult games I've ever played. Don't think I'll ever finish it, even the first few challenges after the tutorial are extremely difficult. I'm getting more used to it, but it gets pretty exhausting pretty fast.

Think I might give The Witcher 2 a go, though I hated the first one. Oh, and I finally got around to playing Dawn of War 2 recently, fun game but not a patch on the original I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2/

witcher 2 is on sale atm on gog.com , buy it now.. but dont play it until the end of september :)
    version 2.0 is coming, patches, improvements all that good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,260 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Madden NFL 2011, but going to replay Assassins Creed Brotherhood this weekend. Replayed AC2 a few weeks ago. After that, I want to start playing Mortal Kombat a bit more until more games start coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2/

witcher 2 is on sale atm on gog.com , buy it now.. but dont play it until the end of september :)
    version 2.0 is coming, patches, improvements all that good stuff
    It can be gotten for €20 online

Just finished playing through Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood again! Fantastic games. Am currently getting through Singularity for the second time too. Gonna try and get playing Civ V again.

Deus Ex is arriving this day next week. That's when the FUN begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Was playing dungeon siege 3 and crysis 2 and dead space extraction, enjoyed all 3 but i found myself looking for a gamecube and sourcing out all the revamped versions of res evil. Theres never a slump in games for me as i always have a back catalog of AAA games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Playing Portal 1 again for the craìc. A bit shocked at how fast I breezed through the same puzzles I had some fierce problems with. Only downside of those games when it's just not the same as playing the 1st time around. Still fun, though.

Completed Deus Ex a few weeks back. Took me a while since I'd play a bit here and there but, damn, that game still one of my favourites. This new one has alot to live up to.

Really I'm just trying to speed time up so I can finally play Skyrim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Terraria on the PC mostly, with Dragon Age 2 and Mahvel vs Capcom. Loads of game unfinished but i just dont have the will to boot them up. Gonna be no hope of me finishing anything when the big games hit this holiday season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Playing trough Borderlands for the first time, picked up the GOTY in the steam sale for €12.50 a few weeks back and only started playing it this week. Money well spent, I've only been playing it since Monday and I'm 10 hours in.

I have The Witcher 1 & 2 to play next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

It can be gotten for €20 online

Just finished playing through Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood again! Fantastic games. Am currently getting through Singularity for the second time too. Gonna try and get playing Civ V again.

Deus Ex is arriving this day next week. That's when the FUN begins.

yeah but i'd rather spend the extra 5-6 euro if it's going straight to the developers of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Im currently playing Fable 3 on the 360. Just finished Dragon Age 2, and need to finish Assassin's Creed 2.

Want Deus Ex though, and Skyrim, but thats not for a while..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished first play through of Catherine yesterday, but fully intending on going back to get those gold trophies in the climbing levels. Plus, totally want to play it as a bastard and see how that turns out!

Started Earthbound last night after seeing much hype from various sources. Seems great so far.

Dabbling in NFS: Hot Pursuit on 360, shame the latter level leaderboards are so sparse :( And loving Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on DS.

Will probably pick up Xenoblade at some point over the next week or two if it's going for a reasonable price anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

just picked up dead space 2 during the week, have a few steam games to get through too, bioshock 2, crysis and am starting to get into team fortress 2 also, especially now that its free. il probably slowly get back to BF:BC2 soon to get ready for BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PS3 Darksiders and Enslaved

PC Age of Empires online and BF2 later :cool:

thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,260 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Actually, might give Portal 2 another playthrough after AC Brotherhood

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

dreamers75 wrote: »
    BF2

I just found my CD-key buried in a drawer. Are there still very active servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just finshed Metro 2033 last night so thats done with.

Have Lego Indiana Jones on the go as well.
    Pinball fx 2 is as ever never far from the top of my play list.

going to start on enslaved Odyssey to the West now over the weekend as I've been meaning to play it since playing the demo way back when.
    Castlevania: Lord of Shadows is in my back log as well so fingers crossed I can get through them before the glut of new games arrives.

Also playing StarFox on the DS which is a bit of craic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

xenoblade chronicles :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just play a bit of bc2 with lads, then go for a mix of borderlands.

I love to play lol in evenings with friends. Allways good lough and messing around.

When no one around I do some sneaky gaming of something that I am not proud of... Rune*****

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Going between Pokemon Black and Emerald on the DS, and the Space Marine demo and Borderlands on the PC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,835 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started playing some old school dragon quest 1.

Also playing Mass Effect 2 intermitently.

Playing a lot of Dragon Quest IX and Catherine, both of which are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Almost finished Mass Effect 2 (about 37 hours clocked up).

Half-way through Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga with my son.

Have put Infinite Space (DS) on hold as the grinding was becoming ridiculous.

Ditched Red Dead Redemption after 50% as it was devoid of satisfying gameplay.

Hoping to give Sakura Wars (Wii) and C&C Red Alert 3 some time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Darkstalkers/Vampire Chronicle on the Dreamcast. Awesome piece of awesome. Also, Gunblade NY (Wii), which has a crack-like score-attack mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Zillah wrote: »
    I just found my CD-key buried in a drawer. Are there still very active servers?

yep I still play it regularly, servers are usually pretty well populated around the weekend

oh and my game of choice at the moment is World Of Tanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The next 3 to 4 months are stacked with games I want, been slim picking for me since Christmas really only played a handful of new games, rest all old.

Currently working on finished off DLC in Borderlands, 2nd time I've bought this game, and worth the 17.99 I paid for the GOTY Edition (still on the hut for that price I think )

Saints Row 1+2 again 2nd time I've played them and just as good as the 1st time.

Fist Of the North Star Kens Rage, it's ok i guess worth the 6 or 7 euro I paid for it.

Fallout Boy DLC in rock band 3 :o

I've been trying to get through my back log of cheap games I've picked up over the last while, and barely making a dent in them, many of them are real time sinks too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

oh also alot of fallout nv and fallout 3,trying to mod them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just going through some 'old' PC games at the moment. This lull has allowed me to reinstall GTAIV to try out the new graphics mod by Icenhancer. My PC cant really handle it a reasonable frame rates, but Im still driving around Liberty City gazing at the amazingly detailed textures on the buildings, admiring the sun glints on the vehicles and generally cooing like a baby at the sexiness of it all! :D

Ive also installed Tomb Raider Anniversary, so Im hoping to get through that and Legend (2 games I didnt complete)
    On the PS3, I picked up Vanquish for a song afew months back and only took it out of the shrink wrap the other night. Got a couple of hours in. Its fairly challenging, even on normal. Not usually the kind of game Id go for, but I had to see what all the fuss was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gone back the The Pile (TM). Vanquish is amazing, that game that Gears of War wishes it was. It's fast, it's frantic and it's a lot of fun.

Fallout 3 meanwhile is one of those games that just sucks you in. Put it in the 360 at about 6pm on Wednesday and suddenly it was 1am on Thursday. I got all the DLC for it when it was on sale a few months back so I'm starting to work my way through that.

Split/Second - fun, turn your brains off arcade racing game that's sneakily compulsive. It's been a while since a game like this had me spending an hour replaying the same track just to get a first place.

Slowly working my way through Half-Life 2 on the PC too. It's amazing how good that game still looks.

Advertisement