Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage's at Dublin Aerospace

Options
  • 18-08-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Does any one know the rates of pay working for Dublin Aerospace via contract with PARC recruitment for a Sheet Metal Worker ? The reason I ask is that my friend did an interview with them through FAS for a 7 week course and a good chance of a job on completing the course but when he asked about pay they did'nt know :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Snow Leopard

I can't give you an exact figure for the position you mentioned but from what I've heard the rates of pay at Dublin Aerospace are well below the industry average. DA is a relatively new company (formed in the wake of the closure of SR Technics) and is without legacy pay rates and work practices as a result.

It's not SR Technics or Aer Lingus but at the end of the day it's still a good, solid job that many would be grateful to have.

I wish him the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I can't give you an exact figure for the position you mentioned but from what I've heard the rates of pay at Dublin Aerospace are well below the industry average. DA is a relatively new company (formed in the wake of the closure of SR Technics) and is without legacy pay rates and work practices as a result.

It's not SR Technics or Aer Lingus but at the end of the day it's still a good, solid job that many would be grateful to have.

I wish him the best of luck!

I'd agree with the legacy terms and conditions comparison,but I think that any applicant for such positions should be treated with enough respect to allow them to make a fully informed decision.

Certainly Fás should be in full possession of the projected pay rates as an integral part of it's brief.

Dublin Aviation also need not be afraid of publicising it's rates unless there's an element we're not being told about ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭iprawn

does anyone on this thread know when DA are taking on more connies for the winter? not that pushed about the rate.

Or what was that FAS course your friend did?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭katy39

iprawn wrote: »
    does anyone on this thread know when DA are taking on more connies for the winter? not that pushed about the rate.

Or what was that FAS course your friend did?
    Aeronautical Sheetmetal Work
    He did;nt get the course and he thinks its because he brought up the subject of pay ,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Certainly Fás should be in full possession of the projected pay rates as an integral part of it's brief.

Dublin Aviation also need not be afraid of publicising it's rates unless there's an element we're not being told about ?
    I agree, a company should be upfront about salary and T&C's, and it is normal to inquire about these in the recruitment process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

He did;nt get the course and he thinks its because he brought up the subject of pay
    I doubt that, pay is a normal issue at interviews. Even if only for the employer to say it's to be negotiated after an offer is made.

More likely your friend did nothing wrong. It's just that someone else did a better interview. That's the way it is when every job is oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

katy39 wrote: »
    Does any one know the rates of pay working for Dublin Aerospace via contract with PARC recruitment for a Sheet Metal Worker ? The reason I ask is that my friend did an interview with them through FAS for a 7 week course and a good chance of a job on completing the course but when he asked about pay they did'nt know :(

Hey,
    I can give ye an answer to this question.One of the lads I work with applied for a position in Dublin Aerospace through a company called Temple Recruitment last may. He got a phonecall last friday asking would he be interested in some work up till April as they hay have just got a contract with Aer Lingus. Anyway the rate is E16 p/h and thats across the board for mechs sheeties and B1 Engineers.

Hope this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Anyway the rate is E16 p/h and thats across the board for mechs sheeties and B1 Engineers.

Hope this helps

my goodness,thats well below industry standard for a B1 engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    Try Eu26K, all in. No rights, no union, no nothing and you work at their whim, hail, rain or shine, day or night.McCarthy has degraded the honest trades of aircraft engineering to a new low.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Try Eu26K, all in. No rights, no union, no nothing and you work at their whim, hail, rain or shine, day or night.McCarthy has degraded the honest trades of aircraft engineering to a new low.

regards
    Stovepipe

Thats more than a certain LCC umbrella company pays there mechs. 17,350 Gbp a year around E20k so be thankful. And thats with no union or any of the above.

• Advertisement

so be thankful.

why?
    the other people should be annoyed at their terms too but thats a seperate case. why be thankful. if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its a duck.

the people in the lcc umbrella company should be greatful they dont live in somalia .......................see what i did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

God that's poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Jaysus that wage is crap considering the responsibilties that the lads would have and after going through college who the f**k would want to work in the aviation biz.:eek:

Hi there,
    There is supposed to be a bonus paid to the staff at year's end but from what I've heard, it ranges from Eu800-1200. This is for working unregulated shift (ie, at the whim of the supervisor), nothing extra for doing nights/unsocial hours/shift/weekends. Anyone who is a licensed engineer, especially those who are signing for work done, is an idiot if they accept such chronically bad pay for the responsibility they are taking. If there is ever an accident, it's the engineer will take the fall as his name is on the worksheets. Not worth the risk for such insulting (demeaning the value of his trade, which was hard-earned) pay.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Fully agree with stovepipe,it doesn't take the hangman long to find the stamper!!! I think it was licensed B1/B2 connies back maybe 2/3 years ago accepting contracts on rubbish money started the trend as they probably lost their full time jobs and were desperate for a start elsewhere.

A320 wrote: »
    Fully agree with stovepipe,it doesn't take the hangman long to find the stamper!!! I think it was licensed B1/B2 connies back maybe 2/3 years ago accepting contracts on rubbish money started the trend as they probably lost their full time jobs and were desperate for a start elsewhere.

I always felt the fallout from the TEAM/FLS/SRT business was going to take far longer to come to earth,and this Dublin Aerospace business bears it out.

With the Government and,more importantly,the relevant Licencing Authority apparently preferring to remain indifferent to large numbers of It's own licencees losing their effectivity,the future of medium/large scale Irish Aircraft Engineering was sealed.

Historically there has always been a ready supply of "stampers" throughout the business,but equally,the operators making use of their services have usually been unmasked by the shortcomings usually(and luckily) uncovered by competent and untainted Inspectors.

It's all very sad really,especially as DA would be more than familiar with the Irish Aviation Engineering scene as a whole.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

It's a very sad state of affairs when you have people with high skills&knowledge of the industry working for peanuts,As for them not getting shift/weekend allowance from memory a company must pay shift allowance by law.
    Can anyone tell me wether these companies pay for the lads retraining/licence up grades without any loss of earnings or financial loss to them?
    It looks like the govt dont/wont give a flying f**k about employee rights as for the pay rates if you think that's bad the next time you see an eddie stobart artic truck the person driving that is getting paid just above the min wage,It kills me to see people who have trained hard to get their skills working for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The other side of it is if this were a unionised company where the employees got generous salaries there may not be a company at all. I mean why did the likes of SR Technics leave Dublin? Well simply because of cheaper costs and labour elsewhere. The union was a direct cause for the loss of hundreds of jobs here. It may be a sad reality that the only way of attracting various airlines to have maintenance done here is to have relatively low salaries and an efficient cost structure because if you can't provide the customer with a good price they will go elsewhere.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    The other side of it is if this were a unionised company where the employees got generous salaries there may not be a company at all. I mean why did the likes of SR Technics leave Dublin? Well simply because of cheaper costs and labour elsewhere. The union was a direct cause for the loss of hundreds of jobs here. It may be a sad reality that the only way of attracting various airlines to have maintenance done here is to have relatively low salaries and an efficient cost structure because if you can't provide the customer with a good price they will go elsewhere.
    conversely why would you bother doing the 12 or 13 modules and 5 years experience to get your license and potentially be done for manslaughter if you make a fatal error.you may as well be working in xtravision.

they have disincentivised it.

and sr moved because they were obliged to repatriate jobs to zurich no?
    losing the aer lingus contract didnt help.

conversely why would you bother doing the 12 or 13 modules and 5 years experience to get your license and potentially be done for manslaughter if you make a fatal error.you may as well be working in xtravision.

they have disincentivised it.

and sr moved because they were obliged to repatriate jobs to zurich no?
    losing the aer lingus contract didnt help.

Hey look I'm not disagreeing with you. I think you guys deserve a much better deal. I did work experience at SR Technics and I know how tough the job is along with the massive responsibility of it all. I'm just saying the only option you may have is either this or nothing at all and maybe emigrating to find work elsewhere while getting similarly low pay.

SR moved because of the overall economic situation and the loss of the AL contract was a factor but they specifically mentioned in press releases the high cost base as a reason for them moving. Again it may not be right, but it's reality.

• Advertisement

Do you think manpower or other maintenance-related costs in Zurich are cheaper than in Ireland? Do you think the unions in Zurich are weaker than the Irish ones? Do you think Swiss workers had lesser terms and conditions than Irish workers? Wages in SRT weren't that spectacular, by any stretch. Wages in DA are way below par for the industry, given the cost of living in this country and they are especially too low for the risk involved.

regards
    Stovepipe

Do you think manpower or other maintenance-related costs in Zurich are cheaper than in Ireland? Do you think the unions in Zurich are weaker than the Irish ones? Do you think Swiss workers had lesser terms and conditions than Irish workers? Wages in SRT weren't that spectacular, by any stretch. Wages in DA are way below par for the industry, given the cost of living in this country and they are especially too low for the risk involved.

regards
    Stovepipe

I certainly think that the Swiss Unions were far less demanding than the then celtic Ireland greedy unions. They still are to an extent worryingly. Another major factor at the time was the strength of the Euro vs the Swiss franc meant SR were paying more and more in wages even though over here nothing changed.

SR are a Swiss company so it's only natural that they will favor cuts in their International outlets rather than the ones at home. Many Irish companies have cut a vast amount of jobs overseas while trying to minimize cuts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

FYI the founder of Dublin Aerospace is nominated for an Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award, see http://www.eoy.tv/entrepreneur_detail.php?eID=42. He was on last Friday's show discussing the business, might be on RTE Player.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    SR are a Swiss company so it's only natural that they will favor cuts in their International outlets rather than the ones at home. Many Irish companies have cut a vast amount of jobs overseas while trying to minimize cuts here.

I would have thought that the Abu Dhabi connection and the intention to construct a vast "aviation kingdom in the sand" was somewhat more of an influence than any Irish "Jim Larkinite" behaviour.....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

I know this thread is a little old at this stage but I just want to clarify a few inaccurate details that have been posted in previous replies.
    Wages at Dublin Aerospace are made up of a Basic Salary, Performance Bonus, and Profit Share.
    Salary and Performance bonuses are paid Monthly while Profit Share is Quarterly.
    Licenced Engineer at DAL is coming out with circa 50K per Annum, While the basic salary may not be great, the bonuses make it more respectable, while its not ideal in that the banks will only recognise your basic salary for purposes of applying for mortgages its better than a kick in the teeth.
    I know licenced engineers at EI coming out with same money and they have to work nights!

That means that you are depending on the highly variable PB and PS just to equal what is being paid in EI....incidentally, EI are losing very qualified men to the leasing companies and certain American airlines, in some cases for double their wages.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

That means that you are depending on the highly variable PB and PS just to equal what is being paid in EI....incidentally, EI are losing very qualified men to the leasing companies and certain American airlines, in some cases for double their wages.

Quite correct! It's not an ideal situation but it's worked out ok so far. Yeah I believe EI have lost a few guys lately for a number of different destinations. There's a genuine shortage of adequately trained B1/B2 out there at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

flange888 wrote: »
    Quite correct! It's not an ideal situation but it's worked out ok so far. Yeah I believe EI have lost a few guys lately for a number of different destinations. There's a genuine shortage of adequately trained B1/B2 out there at the minute.

I bet it's near impossible for DAL and EI To recruit full time B1 or B2 type rated engineers,they just don't pay the market rate...jet2 poached a load of Ryanair guys in Stanstead recently and Ryanair responded by putting up salary 10K
    Not being able to recruit the right people puts pressure on existing staff and it compromises safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 simon...

About the performance bonus,
    How likely is it that you are going to come out with more than basic?
    The basic wage isn't great but they have 300+ employees so something must be worth it.
    Can anyone tell me they are coming out with circa 40k as an aircraft cabin technician??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If you have an A licence Ryanair will put you on a wheel and brake team for 45k. 5 on 3 off. Permanent nights.

Advertisement