Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Joe Gould’s Secret’ by Joseph Mitchell.

It’s the story of a journalist/editor and his encounters with a vagrant type character who is supposedly writing a huge history of life in New York.

It’s actually quite a pleasant read.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

‘Joe Gould’s Secret’ by Joseph Mitchell.

It’s the story of a journalist/editor and his encounters with a vagrant type character who is supposedly writing a huge history of life in New York.

It’s actually quite a pleasant read.

Mitchell is a lovely writer, working my way through Up at the Old Hotel atm. Dip into it every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Force of Nature by Jane Harper. I have The Dry lined up when finished. They were recommended by a friend. Decent enough so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The Books of Amanda Brunker. Actually not reading them but they keep the draft out of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

The Count of Monte Cristo is excellent, really enjoyed it.

Reading a series of books called "The Iron king", by Maurice Druon, translated from French, good but not brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

GS11 wrote: »
    The Count of Monte Cristo is excellent, really enjoyed it.

Reading a series of books called "The Iron king", by Maurice Druon, translated from French, good but not brilliant.
    Yeah they are good. And the English are the baddies here :D

Think of Sophie Marceau's character in Braveheart, and she's quite fierce on later books in the series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Louis Theroux's autobiography should be out next month actually. Its called "Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television"

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I was in the library to pick up a book I'd reserved (Nevermoor) and found a book called The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School. It's about a girl who can float and is sent to boarding school, and other students there have abilities or skills too. I'm currently on page 246 out of 391.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sounds a bit like "Miss Peregrine's school for gifted children" (I can't remember the actual title).

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

The Places in Between - Rory Stewart
    Walking on foot through pts of Afghanistan pre coalition invasion. Very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Human Stain by Philip Roth picked it up in the charity shop, its very good especially after reading a few thriller nonsense type books recently.

I othen wonder when you find a hoard of literary type books in the charity shop the kind people keep, has someone died has their family cleared out their posetions.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I othen wonder when you find a hoard of literary type books in the charity shop the kind people keep, has someone died has their family cleared out their positions.

I wonder where they keep all the good books. Could everyone have such poor taste? Surely they “weed” out what they think will sell but, let’s be honest, it’s pretty much the same muck in every charity shop.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I wonder where they keep all the good books. Could everyone have such poor taste? Surely they “weed” out what they think will sell but, let’s be honest, it’s pretty much the same muck in every charity shop.

I acctuley do very well in the local charity shops both for books and other things there is beautiful Waterford glass in our local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That’s funny; I had you down as a real Dan Brown or Stephen King sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Stephen King is a great writer when he's good tbh. I say this as a person who reads plenty of literary books etc.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I acctuley do very well in the local charity shops both for books and other things there is beautiful Waterford glass in our local one.

You’ll have to take me with you, I’ve only ever had rotten luck in charity shops.

I’d have my “guilty” pleasures, John Grisham, for one, certainly, but never got the whole Dan Brown “thing”. Read the “DaVinci Code” alright, felt it was like a dumbed down version of Umberto Eco’s “Foucault’s Pendulum”.

I, personally, find Stephen King to be under rated, and also unfairly treated. Especially his early work but, for me, if you’re looking for some “chilling” horror stories you don’t need to go much further than the short stories of M.R. James, Sheridan LeFanu, Poe, Algernon Blackwood, or Lovecraft.

What are you “into” yourself, J? I’m envisioning “The Big Book of Farts” or “The Bumper Book of Toilet Humour”. Nothing too “challenging”, I hope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Call me a philistine if you like but I’d take DaVinci over Foucault any day. I found that book entirely unintelligible.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Call me a philistine if you like but I’d take DaVinci over Foucault any day. I found that book entirely unintelligible.

I can be a philistine a lot of the time, when I picked up the Phillip Roth book I though feck sake it will be full of long sentence but on the other hand, it will be a really interesting book which it is and I am enjoying it a lot, got a bit sick of the silly trilllers...stuck on a small boat and badly wounded he managed to cauterise the wound with a flare:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

batgoat wrote: »
    Stephen King is a great writer when he's good tbh. I say this as a person who reads plenty of literary books etc.

Falls down a bit on endings, otherwise excellent if a little well-worn in his themes at this stage. Unfair to lump him in with Dan Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭appledrop

Idaho by Emily Rickovisch.

Not sure how I feel about it yet. It is a totally absorbing read but it's a hard read because the subject matter is about a mother who murders her child + you are going to read about it + what happens from different view points of a number of people.

I'm not giving away plot as within first few pages you are told this.

I'll report back when I have read more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think people tend to donate the books they don't like or those that were an easy read for holidays etc but won't bother to keep them on their book shelves as not enough room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Really enjoying The Poet by Michael Connelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

'Gangster' about John Gilligan, quiet a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

12 Rules For Life Jordan Peterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have only just discovered thriller writer, Alex Morwood.
    Finished his 'The Darkest Secret' and I think it's the best thriller I've ever read.
    Have already requested his other books from a bookstore.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

appledrop wrote: »
    I think people tend to donate the books they don't like or those that were an easy read for holidays etc but won't bother to keep them on their book shelves as not enough room.
    That's so true. I went to a charity book sale a few months ago and there must have been 20 copies of "50 shades" !

• 12 Rules For Life Jordan Peterson.

I hope you tidied your room before you turned the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Having said that, a few weeks ago I picked in local charity shop a nearly new copy of A Moveable Feast by Hemingway. Was delighted !
    Great book by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have only just discovered thriller writer, Alex Morwood.
    Finished his 'The Darkest Secret' and I think it's the best thriller I've ever read.
    Have already requested his other books from a bookstore.

Alex Marwood is a woman just to let you know. Her books are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

12 Rules For Life Jordan Peterson.

Is it helping you rise up the dominance hierarchy? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement