Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Kealen Ryan's debut 'The Middle Place'. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

I've only just realised it's 1,007 pages long. Guess my 8 hour flight in a couple of weeks will be useful for keeping me on my Goodreads challenge track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Caroline Knapp's "Drinking: A Love Story." I have read soooo many addiction/recovery memoirs; this is one of the better ones. Very relatable and honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

The Human Stain by Philip Roth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

appledrop wrote: »
    Well I finally finished the Milkman. What a load of c**p. Never has it taken me that long to read a book less than 400 pages. The only real thing that happen she tells us about in first few pages. Full of pretentious prose nonsense.

I looked up reviews on Goodreads so opinions seem very divided on it people either love it or hate it.

I'm so excited about starting a new book. Bring it on!!!!

I read that book last year and was struggling to see it as anything other than an inferior ripoff of The Handmaid's Tale, a type of book that is flooding the marketplace at the moment. If one loves The Handmaid's Tale and wants more, read Margaret Atwood's other dystopias and not these ripoffs. Milkman is curious in that it adds in a Belfast dystopia that is half the troubles era and half made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just finished And Then It Fell Apart by Moby

Brilliant follow up to Porcelain.

You dont need to be a Moby fan or even a music fan to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz. It's about the legacy of the American Civil War in the American South, and how many Southerners continue to cherish the 'Lost Cause'. Although it was written in the late 90s, so many of the same issues are still present: is it acceptable to fly the Confederate battle flag? What about statues etc? The author recently passed away, which is how it came onto my radar. Finding it really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,382 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I finished Listening to the Animals: Becoming the Supervet by Noel Fitzpatrick.

I really enjoyed his autobiography and was shocked by all of the difficulties he has had to and continues to overcome (a poor primary school education in rural Ireland, severe bullying in his youth and disdain from other vets).

He is such an amazing man and the world is definitely a better place with him in it. He should be cloned a million times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Re-reading The Outrun by Amy Liptrot. A superb true story of her life in recovery from alcoholism in the wilds of the Orkney Islands in Scotland.

The author is very honest and frank about how her life in London on the party circuit with the so-called "beautuful people" was in reality a hollow shell and how her "friends" dropped her when her drinking got completely out of control. Now she lives a life a quiet peace in the Orkneys but admits thatvshe still has her dark days and the cravings still surface now and then. I can completely identify with much of her story.

Thoroughly recommended read.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I finished Listening to the Animals: Becoming the Supervet by Noel Fitzpatrick.

I really enjoyed his autobiography and was shocked by all of the difficulties he has had to and continues to overcome (a poor primary school education in rural Ireland, severe bullying in his youth and disdain from other vets).

He is such an amazing man and the world is definitely a better place with him in it. He should be cloned a million times.

Totally agree. He's a very special man.

Currently reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I'm half way through but I'm not sure about it. I can't put my finger on why, maybe I'm expecting too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished How To Stop Time by Matt Haig, it's about a man born in the 1580's whose ageing process slowed down a lot once he hit his mid-teens, he works as a 40 year old history teacher in modern times, who describes historical events like he was there, very enjoyable stuff.

I'm a few chapters through The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro, entertaining stuff so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

If you listen to audiobooks does it count?

Count Dooku: Jedi Lost.

I'm afraid I'm a literary cretin. I have mostly been reading Star Wars novels. I read the Darth Plagueis one and it was brilliant.

The Immortalists, by Chloe Benjamin..

I'm really liking it..

Had to stop reading 'the tattooist of auschwitz'..
    Just badly written..couldn't hack it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Zoo by Isobel Charman.
    The history of London Zoo. Surprisingly interesting story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mark Billingham - Their Little Secret.

Only two chapters in, so can't say a whole lot about it yet, but have enjoyed all his other Tom Thorne based novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Just finished Germinal by Emile Zola, an 1885 novel set in a mining community in France.

It's gritty and often harrowing in its depiction of the lives and loves of the mining community. It has social realism, action, politics, romance, tragedy. For an old book if feels quite modern—there's even four letter words and sex in it. It's very compelling and great storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm did not enjoy The Slap at all, got excited when I saw it recommended here as it sounded right up my alley but nah, it wasnt the big family drama blow-out I thought it would be, very boring actually and unrealistic characters. It was a good idea but poorly executed. Id love to see an Irish version by Roddy Doyle or someone, set it in rural Ireland and it would be hilarious.

Have a look at The Corrections by Jonathon Franzen if you want passive aggressive family drama done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Book? damn getting fancy these days aren't we...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Book? damn getting fancy these days aren't we...?

The boom is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Reading Caroline Criado Perez's Invisible Women at the moment. It's an eye-opener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The Irish Game Matthew Hart
    About art heists Russborough House etc. and Peacemakers by Margaret Macmillan about making peace after WW1.
    Both well written. Both enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Regarding Audible.
    Currently I am Spellbound listening to Jeremy Irons reading Brideshead Revisited. Also I have found my diction has improved exponentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭bobbyss

patmac wrote:
    Regarding Audible. Currently I am Spellbound listening to Jeremy Irons reading Brideshead Revisited. Also I have found my diction has improved exponentially.

Exponentially.
    Lovely sounding word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mark Billingham - Their Little Secret.

Only two chapters in, so can't say a whole lot about it yet, but have enjoyed all his other Tom Thorne based novels.

Was very disappointed with this one. It felt like it was something he just wrote in a hurry. All the characters just seemed bland. There was very little detail in anything and the ending felt very rushed. Nothing like any of his other books. I'm actually wondering if it was ghost written as it just didn't feel like an MB book at all.

Definitely wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I'm about 100 pages into a book called Dracul written by Dacre Stoker and JD Barker. It's a prequel of Dracula and one of the writers is a grandson of Bram Stoker. It's set in Dublin and is very good so far.

The Choice, by Edith Eger. So much more than just a holocaust memoir, it really challenges and changes your perspective of the world. Would highly recommend it.

All That Remains, by Sue Black (a forensic anthropologist in the UK.)

For a book about death, it's surprisingly light and uplifting. Really makes you appreciate life.

As a result of reading it, I've started the process of registering with a university to donate my body to science when I die - sure it's not like I'll have any use for it any more, and it's fascinating to read about how important body donations are in the education of students in the medical profession. Nice to think I'll be part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"The president is missing" - James Patterson & Bill Clinton.

Very good so far, half way through it.
    Would love to know how much Clinton contributed to it .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

John Man's The Mongol Empire.

So far, it's very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

So I'm reading a book about WW2.

Last week some lady approached me (I was in a store) saying she was curious about what I was reading. I showed her the cover and she was horrified, saying how could I be reading that. I replied I have an interest on WW2 and she went on on how I would like all the killing and destruction in it. I said it's history and such.

She wouldn't stop on her tirade that she'd never go to Germany and that she was "old enough". Don't know what she meant there because she wasn't old enough to have gone through the war.
    She walked away and I, and those around me, were left slightly bewildered and bemused about her.

A nosy wan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement