Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing name from Irish to English...

Options
  • 16-08-2011 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Edited to shorten:

Was thinking about changing my name back to the English version for my fiancé who has no Irish because otherwise shed have to have a feminine version of my name, and the english version would be easier for her. Anyone with any similar experience or opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'd break it off. Too complicated to put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

Lol fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Are you worried that people might think she has Irish when she doesn't`. At least with the Irish name other lads will know she's married and off limits, those with Irish of course

No not worrired about people thinking she has Irish, she isn't either, it's more the fact we both speak in English to each other and the fact it changes with gender in Irish, whereas in English shed literally have the same name.

I dunno, it's not a problem for either of us, we'll happily go on as is, it's just a thought from me, the one with the leagan Gaelach.

Just looking for anyone who is in a similar situation. At the end of the day it's trivial I know, the amount of foreigners marrying into Irish names and vice verca, it's not like a name dictates your language. Infect I think I just answered my own question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

As long as you're both happy. Best of luck in married life.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    As long as you're both happy. Best of luck in married life.

You said a mouthful, thinking it was much of a muchness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If the Irish surname is the one you've had since birth (i.e. you yourself haven't changed it from English at any point) then there really is no English version, as such. It's your name and the history that goes with it. If the reason is as simple as something like pronunciation or the "Uí", then I wouldn't worry about it and just go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Would she not like to hold on to her own name, as many do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

been on plenty of irish courses as a youngster where there were some girls that dropped the 'Ní' in their name. Caomhánach for kavanagh springs to mind... actually, she was hot.
    can you not do similar with your name?

Would she not like to hold on to her own name, as many do now?

Nah, we've talked about that and she Wants to take mine. I think I was just over thinking it last night but thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rhedyn

If you were Polish you wouldn't be changing your name would you? So why change an Irish name?

Rhedyn wrote: »
    If you were Polish you wouldn't be changing your name would you? So why change an Irish name?

Yep, your absolutely right. I will not be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

This is where somebody should say "Won't somebody please think of the children?".
    What will they be called? Are you are letting a significant part of your heritage slip away from you and all your decendants just for a temporary convenience?

This is where somebody should say "Won't somebody please think of the children?".
    What will they be called? Are you are letting a significant part of your heritage slip away from you and all your decendants just for a temporary convenience?

Yeah good point, I won't be changing my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

muineachan wrote: »
    Edited to shorten:

Was thinking about changing my name back to the English version for my fiancé who has no Irish because otherwise shed have to have a feminine version of my name, and the english version would be easier for her. Anyone with any similar experience or opinion?
    be liberated/modern take her surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... it changes with gender in Irish, whereas in English shed literally have the same name...

Can I focus your attention on the highlighted words? You don't have to follow Irish language rules when using English, so if your name were Ó Sé, she could become Pavla Ó Sé.

Herself, who has good Irish, does not lenite our surname in English-language environments, but does when using Irish.

... it changes with gender in Irish, whereas in English shed literally have the same name...

Can I focus your attention on the highlighted words? You don't have to follow Irish language rules when using English, so if your name were Ó Sé, she could become Pavla Ó Sé.

Herself, who has good Irish, does not lenite our surname in English-language environments, but does when using Irish.

Oh right! I never thought of that. Would it not look a bit strange her taking my name officially as "Ó Sé"? She doesn't have much Irish but I'd if thought her not taking "Uí Shé" would look strange?

The late Nuala Ó Faoláin used the English language way.

Good point, thanks guys I never thought of her taking my name without changing gender. I'll put it too her, see what she thinks about that.

Oh right! I never thought of that. Would it not look a bit strange her taking my name officially as "Ó Sé"? She doesn't have much Irish but I'd if thought her not taking "Uí Shé" would look strange?

It's probably more bother explaining why there is some difference between the names than to ignore Irish usage when operating in English - particularly if she has a circle of non-Irish friends.

Following Irish usage also messes up alphabetical listings in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

A guy in here work called his daughter (for example) Caitlin O'Súilleabháin, until we jokingly pointed out that realistically she should be called Caitlin Ni Súilleabháin.
    Needless to say he really took it personally and changed the childs name, just to be correct. We all thought he was nuts, but there you have it. It does matter to some people.

Dacelonid wrote: »
    A guy in here work called his daughter (for example) Caitlin O'Súilleabháin, until we jokingly pointed out that realistically she should be called Caitlin Ni Súilleabháin.
    Needless to say he really took it personally and changed the childs name, just to be correct. We all thought he was nuts, but there you have it. It does matter to some people.

Poor guy! I can understand that though, our kids names will defo follow Irish rules, if your going to give then Irish names best not too confuse them further by mixing it up.

Just my poor fiancé who got landed with me, for better or for worse eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Ní Shúilleabháin I hope you told him! Wouldn't be nice to have to correct him twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Eh, why would you have to change yours? Can she not just use the English form of your surname, you use the Irish form?

Dont tell me he had an apostrophe after the O (and no fada over it) as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

A former colleague of mine took her husband's surname word for word, without changing the gender. He is a native speaker and an Irish teacher. Mind you, it was an 'Ó' surname anyway, so it does sound better.

The kids can take the correct gender-appropriate version, seeing as it usually signifies 'son of' and 'daughter of' anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Not to mention Helen Ó Murchú and Bláthnaid Ó Brádaigh - both active in the Irish language movement.

deirdremf wrote: »
    Not to mention Helen Ó Murchú and Bláthnaid Ó Brádaigh - both active in the Irish language movement.

I just think it looks a bit silly! If they dropped the fada n went O'Murchu etc fine but to keep an Irish language fada n then ignore the sex jus sounds weird, no?

I just think it looks a bit silly! If they dropped the fada n went O'Murchu etc fine but to keep an Irish language fada n then ignore the sex jus sounds weird, no?

I don't think it should be that big a step for you to fall in with their approach. There aren't really right and wrong answers: it's more a matter of style preference.

[I'm quite willing to get annoyed by needlessly bad Irish in Irish language environments, but I'm fairly relaxed about the use of Irish names in English language environments.]

• Advertisement

I don't think it should be that big a step for you to fall in with their approach. There aren't really right and wrong answers: it's more a matter of style preference.

[I'm quite willing to get annoyed by needlessly bad Irish in Irish language environments, but I'm fairly relaxed about the use of Irish names in English language environments.]

But a fada is part of the Irish language, so why keep part of the Irish language and ditch the sex? Too me id say either keep Irish language rules or don't.

Advertisement