Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Gardaí be able to do this ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Delancey wrote: »
    OP - you should be thanking the Guards for not seizing your car as they are fully entitled to do so , you have 24 hours to get it VRT'd and your time is up.
    Pay the VRT and get the new plates up immediately and the ' hassle ' will cease.
    mikemac wrote: »
    I smell a compensation case coming if a car is seized and the rules set by the Revenue and the State are disregarded ;)

It was 24 hours in the past but that's gone and maybe some gardaí need an information leaflet or a refresher course on the rules they enforce

Edit, changed last year, explained in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056009853

I would hardly say its a "compo case" situation but Its an inconvenience.

I was stopped 2 days after purchasing my last UK reg car and the guard was not aware of the new 30 day limit, so id make your VRT appointment asap.

Personally I was delighted that Gardai were enforcing it - It would sicken me to be paying thousands of euro in VRT and €600 euro road tax per year, when others are paying no VRT and have a £150 tax disc or none at all.... OP as someone whos about to do it legit I would think you should equally be happy that Gardai enforce the law.

If you have just purchased a UK car like you state then carry your invoice and old insurance policy (Should cover you for the first seven days), after that bring a copy of your new insurance policy and old one (this will show the date of transfer from your old car to this one, proving you recently got the car), and your VRT appointment. Might be no harm to bring a copy of the ad from where your purchased the car also.

Other posters have stated that the Gardai can still seize after 24 hours, so bringing these documents shows you are a law abiding citizen making the effort to be legal. It will also allow them to quickly ascertain if further investigation is needed, or if they can quickly let you on your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

lst wrote: »
    I would hardly say its a "compo case" situation but Its an inconvenience.

I was stopped 2 days after purchasing my last UK reg car and the guard was not aware of the new 30 day limit, so id make your VRT appointment asap.

Personally I was delighted that Gardai were enforcing it - It would sicken me to be paying thousands of euro in VRT and €600 euro road tax per year, when others are paying no VRT and have a £150 tax disc or none at all.... OP as someone whos about to do it legit I would think you should equally be happy that Gardai enforce the law.

If you have just purchased a UK car like you state then carry your invoice and old insurance policy (Should cover you for the first seven days), after that bring a copy of your new insurance policy and old one (this will show the date of transfer from your old car to this one, proving you recently got the car), and your VRT appointment. Might be no harm to bring a copy of the ad from where your purchased the car also.

Other posters have stated that the Gardai can still seize after 24 hours, so bringing these documents shows you are a law abiding citizen making the effort to be legal. It will also allow them to quickly ascertain if further investigation is needed, or if they can quickly let you on your way.

Thats sound advise right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

I bought a 2004 Audi A8 in the UK 3 days ago and brought it over to Ireland and I've been stopped 4 times now !! 4 Times ! I'm in the middle of getting the VRT sorted etc.

I've been going in and out of Darndale the past few days to visit my parents, and was stopped 3 times coming in and out of the place !! TWICE BY THE SAME GUARD. I asked him why does he keep stopping me and he says because its on UK plates and (This is exactly what he said) "Seeing this type of car in an area like this belongs to someone involved in serious crime, nobody in Darndale would have a car like this and not be involved in crime." I got absolutely P**ed at this. He had to ask me to calm down twice I was that mad.
    I grew up there and worked my arse off for that car, my housee etc. Never got involved in anything !! I took his badge number and I'm going to go up to the station where he works. Is there sense in going to the station and making a complaint ? Will it go anywhere ?

Really can't get over it. I know its a rough area, but if someone worked his arse off for a car like this they should be able to drive around in it without being harassed.

So should he be able to stop me that many times just because its on UK plates?

And do you think I went a little over the top about taking his badge number ?

Of course it's wrong. It's essentially social profiling. I guess it happens, but for the local cops to tell the residents the reason for it is the type of behaviour that means the police have little respect in the working class areas of Dublin, even amongst those who would like to see crime levels fall.

You're very unlikely to get anything other than a "the cops are doing a great job" answer on this forum, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Driving an A8 in Darndale? The Gardaí are the least of your problems. In fact they are your only chance of being able to keep the car at all.

Apologies to the decent people of Darndale but the area didn't get it's reputation for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I think the OP is more annoyed with the fact the same garda stopped him twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Evryone wants the law to be enforced until it's enforced on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

jimdeans wrote: »
    ...the police have little respect in the working class areas of Dublin.

Are you refering to Darndale as a 'working class' area of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

I've been going in and out of Darndale the past few days to visit my parents, and was stopped 3 times coming in and out of the place !! TWICE BY THE SAME GUARD. I asked him why does he keep stopping me and he says because its on UK plates and (This is exactly what he said) "Seeing this type of car in an area like this belongs to someone involved in serious crime, nobody in Darndale would have a car like this and not be involved in crime." I got absolutely P**ed at this.

This is what the OP's mad about, not enforcement of VRT legislation. Car's and people are often stopped for various reasons, The Garda needn't have been so forthcoming with his explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

pah wrote: »
    This is what the OP's mad about, not enforcement of VRT legislation. Car's and people are often stopped for various reasons, The Garda needn't have been so forthcoming with his explanation.

Exactly. No surprise the 5-oh don't wanna hear that, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

pah wrote: »

The op appears to be of a similar opinion though
    I would imagine theres not alot of UK reg A8's going around Coolock/Darndale area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Since the OP has being banned on the motors forum for using a number of accounts I kind of doubt this thread now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73840766&postcount=3050

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Agreed. OP sitebanned which casts huge doubt over the veracity of the story.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement