Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is it to get a job in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Why is it that people complain about the difficulty of getting a job, when an unqualified teenager like me can get a job after only attending three interviews? I don't have anything that sets me apart from the crowd, but I still get a job? Try moar if you can't get one.

How much are you being paid? If you're 25 or 35 you'll usually have financial commitments that wouldn't allow you to accept the €10 an hour or whatever that an 'unqualified teenager' living at home without bills would be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

strobe wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me is one of my good friends boyfriend, who is qualified as an accountant but has struggled to get work for a while, was always complaining about having no work and having to be on the dole so she asked me as a favour if I could get him any work. I rang around and managed to land him a guaranteed job order picking in a factory run by a friend of mine, decent money, not going to make you a millionaire but above minimum wage, all he had to do was ring the boss and it was his and he turned it down because he "didn't spend 4 years in college to drag boxes around".

That attitude really fucking pissed me off no end. I really hope this "I want to work but not in a job that's beneath me" shite isn't common...
    Report him to the dole, they'll cut off his payments and he'll soon be begging to drag boxes around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

If you are over qualified places might be reluctant to take you as they know you'll be off once something better comes up

This, too. Plenty of people just omit qualifications and experiences from their cvs which might render them "overqualified" for a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Offered a job for next week.
    2 sets of house plans to price for work sent yesterday.
    Plans for a nursing home to be emailed to me tomorrow.
    Working 6 days a week to get caught up and my phone still keeps ringing with offers.

I'm in construction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

unfortunately there are too many lazy cnuts who have made the dole their "lifestyle choice" and us hardworking indivuals will have to finance them for the foreseeable future

Lines like that píssed me off no end when I was unemployed. There are a vast number of people who are not unemployed for "lifestyle" reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thankfully I have always had a job but if it went tomorrow I would scrape chewing gum off the streets to earn some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GULLION

Out of work for three years, and finding unteen excuses , too experienced , Not enough experience, Didn't work for a multinational, Previous companies to big or small. salary expectations to high ( although never asked what they were), Would I be embarrased working for a low salary (they should have been embarrassed that they were paying a low salary) In short you are 53 so please F@@! off. However my son finished Uni in May and starts work next week, his first interview, didn't get the job he applied for but was offered another, ( Nine months contract but could extend, )

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

GULLION wrote: »
    Out of work for three years, and finding unteen excuses , too experienced , Not enough experience, Didn't work for a multinational, Previous companies to big or small. salary expectations to high ( although never asked what they were), Would I be embarrased working for a low salary (they should have been embarrassed that they were paying a low salary) In short you are 53 so please F@@! off. However my son finished Uni in May and starts work next week, his first interview, didn't get the job he applied for but was offered another, ( Nine months contract but could extend, )

That excuse would piss me off no end, but I can see why businesses use it. They know as soon as a better/more suitable job comes up, you'd be gone and they'd have to start the recruitment process again. which can be costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GULLION

Yes you would, but what experience have you with chewing gum, Have you ever opperated a scraper. Tried to get a job walking dogs, (I have dogs) AND DIDNT QUALIFY
    I too would scrape gum or dog pooh but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to get the interview. I'd love to know how the Polish Latvians etc manage to get the jobs, I not a racist, but how the hell do they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

strobe wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me is one of my good friends boyfriend, who is qualified as an accountant but has struggled to get work for a while, was always complaining about having no work and having to be on the dole so she asked me as a favour if I could get him any work. I rang around and managed to land him a guaranteed job order picking in a factory run by a friend of mine, decent money, not going to make you a millionaire but above minimum wage, all he had to do was ring the boss and it was his and he turned it down because he "didn't spend 4 years in college to drag boxes around".

That attitude really fucking pissed me off no end. I really hope this "I want to work but not in a job that's beneath me" shite isn't common...

if he doesnt want the job id fekin well do it! any wage is better than the dole..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Someone rang me today to ask could they work weekends in September. That to me exhibits laziness and as a result I gave them a straight up no.

Also because we don't open on weekends.... trollface.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

If you are over 40, male and Irish, you can forget about getting a job in Ireland. That's the reality of life in the New Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It's fairly hard. A few years ago it was a lot easier to get interviews and go straight into a job after one or two interviews whether experienced or not now its a lot harder to get interviews but not just that its harder to get a job even after a number of interviews you have at least surpass way more than three interviews to at least get a job. A cv, work experience and qualifications alone isn't enough to get the interviews you have to be seen as the right candidate.

Basically up against the job criteria rather than other candidates even though they are your competition, if you meet all the job requirements and tick the boxes then you are a likely candidate but if you aren't the right candidate despite everything else whether you do a good or bad interview the chances are slim of getting the job since you aren't the right person for the role even if you meet all the requirements and everything else. You might think you are competing against other candidates which of course in theory you are but in reality you are competing against the criteria which you are measured up against not just the other candidates. It's likely they have a candidate picked out and let the rest measure up against them before employers make the decision to hire them.

You could have a great interview but not get a job more likely you will get one but all depends how everything else is weighed up.
    You could have a bad interview and get a job but more likely you will not get the job.

You could meet the criteria, work experience and qualifications but not be the right candidate.
    You could be the right candidate, have the work experience and qualifications and meet the criteria and get the job but you might not have all those elements if you are missing one you will not get the job despite everything else.

You could be the right candidate but something could put the spanner in the works because you don't have enough experience or not the right or most up to date qualifications or that you meet most of the criteria but miss one or two.

Keep applying for jobs and not give up, if you are getting interviews then its a good sign its a matter of selling yourself and pitching yourself as being the right candidate that they want to hire. Think positive! For every rejection you get closer and closer to getting your dream job or at least get to a stage where someone has to hire you regardless how long you have been employed or unemployed. Looking at all avenues like night courses, part-time courses once they are relevant to your career field they are worth doing if not if its a means of learning something new then why not! Whether its an educational course or not you should try doing something new at least like learn a new language/skill/hobby.

Voluntary work I don't mean the WPP's in this case but voluntary work with charity be worth considering otherwise look into the unpaid internships whether they are general ones or wpp's/job-bridge. Perhaps travel, move to somewhere new or emigrate for a short while! There isn't much else you can do except living your life and trying things out, you never know unless you don't try! Its worth the risk!

Its a little harder for say new graduates and those in the early, latter stages of their career that is the toughest for those in that category other than those who have a family its a lot harder for them. The thing is it's tough for everyone no matter what age they are no matter how well qualified or not or no matter how experienced they are or not we are all in the same boat as unemployment has its affected everyone in the majority of professions in some way or another despite some career fields not as badly affected they are still affected some way. Created a domino affect if you like.

Its a shame really, have been stunned by the high rise in unemployment here but we mustn't give up hope!

Best of luck to al of us in our quest for work!

Advertisement