Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doc 4 - Games, timing and setups.

Options
  • 11-08-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Games planned for DoC 4;
    BB
    SFAE teams
    MK9
    MvC3
    3SOE
    + 1 more? Still debating this, though we have more time this time (12.40/12.50 -> 20.40 is our official time "on" the booking), I'd feel more comfortable running all of these as full double elim and not worrying to fit another one in.

With regards to times to run the games, I was thinking of running 1 tournament as the opening to the day (to ensure all consoles are running and working properly) and then running the other tournaments as 2 simultaneously. If people think it might be more intelligent to run it as one tournament on its own, and spare like 2 setups for casuals on another game (the next one in line on the day) after the first loser's round concludes, we'll do it that way. Personally, I'm open to however people think it best to be run.
    As of running order, perhaps SSFAE Teams -> BB -> MK9 -> MvC3 -> 3S. If anyone has a modified order they feel would be better, feel free to state it, and I'll take it under consideration.

And now, onto consoles and monitors; as stated previously, bringing a monitor entitles you to 7 quid off your entry fee, with monitor + fully updated console granting you free entry (provided your console is patched fully for all games (in the case of MvC3, MK9 and BB, where DLC characters exist, you will still be granted free entry as long as you have the major game updates patched.)) Having a console that is patched for all games will grant you 5 quid off your entry fee. Also, consoles with DLC characters will be given priority choice over consoles without when I'm selecting them. I want people who can bring consoles and/or monitors to PM me, and, once I get a complete list of people who can bring things, I'll PM you back to confirm that you can be there, with your kit, outside the Exchange no later than 12.50.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

... what about those of us who bring loads of non monitory, non consoley gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

... what about those of us who bring loads of non monitory, non consoley gear?

Free in, plus a couple Twisters on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Leave it with just those games imo. If SF4 teams is on first on its own, I should be able to get through it extremely quickly with 2 or 3 setups. Doing that and then 2 tournaments simultaneously after that seems like the best plan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'll be there, I'll bring my Xbox.

Leave at those games. Even with 5 games you are going to be tight on time imo. Would like to see some ST/HDR though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

How many setups are you aiming for Voa? 5 games is gonna be a tight one. I'd say you need to look at 10 setups. I know, you can't exactly just say yeh, 10 setups, done, but I think thats what you should be aiming for.

For the Evo thingy, I made an excel file of who was bringing what, created a thread specifically for it (like this one) and from that I could determine the amount of setups, and hence, timetabling the event..... just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I can bring a Xbox with BB/MvC3/AE/MK9 but I won't have the DLC characters for MvC3/MK9/BB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I don't know if you've 100% decided on a date yet Voa, so I can't say 100% if I'm coming, but it's very likely I am.

In which case I will have the same Xbox with all Marvel stuff, potentially all Blazblue stuff, and an AE disc. Also 3SOE.

The Mortal Kombat patch thing is still a bit up in the air, but I'll let you know when I've tested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I'll bring my Xbox and games, as well as a copy of AE. So I have the DLC for AE on my console, aswell as an AE disc, so if somebody brings a console without AE, we can put the disc on that and run normal super on my xbox, with the dlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Can't say for definite if I can make this until closer to the date (though most likely I can).
    If I can go, I can bring a PS3 with Blazblue (all the DLC), AE, MvC3 (I can get Shuma Gorath by then) and 3S:OE.

Naphiel wrote: »
    Can't say for definite if I can make this until closer to the date (though most likely I can).
    If I can go, I can bring a PS3 with Blazblue (all the DLC), AE, MvC3 (I can get Shuma Gorath by then) and 3S:OE.
    We'll see if we can't get an MK disc to you to get it updated too, you won't need to get the DLC characters for that, just the patch.

Also, Uber; the date is confirmed for the 17th and the time is confirmed at 12.40 to 20.40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Can we avoid PS3 if possible? It only caused problems last time...

Also Fergus, make sure you have all the DLC this time. :p

Also Doom, can you bring that VGA cable for my xbox again please? I only have a HDMI cable :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

5 tourneys is pushing it in my opinion, 6 would be too many.

Xinkai wrote: »

That's really vague and therefore unhelpful feedback dude. Other than you not liking the d-pads, what problems did they cause you?

For me for example, there was one PS3 that I seemed to be completely unable to get any dual modded TEs to work on. But since I don't know who it belonged to, and I don't know if I was just ridiculously unlucky; it's not really an issue with enough details to warrant discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

BB seemed to take up the most time by far. Why was that? Can the layout be adjusted to take up less time? Perhaps just skip to the finals between Joe and Voa? :p Seriously tho, almost no streetfighter got recorded and as far as I can tell our communities street fighter game is at a much higher level than our BlazeBlue. Also, the average views on BB games is much lower than the MvC3 videos from the same day. SF gets the most by far and even MK gets a lot.

A main stage like the one from Evo quals would be hype. Even if we just setup a smaller TV there or anything. Something to separate big matches for the hype.
    I missed most of SF team grand finals as I couldn't really see it and it was the only game I was interested in seeing.

Xinkai wrote: »

The Xbox that red ringed didn't? :pac:

We need at least 2 PS3s there for MK anyway, not using them for other games as well would just make things more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A display needs to be provided for each PS3 as we currently have no VGA solution for them.

Other than that, PS3s are ideal for tournaments.

Doyler01 wrote: »
    BB seemed to take up the most time by far. Why was that? Can the layout be adjusted to take up less time? Perhaps just skip to the finals between Joe and Voa? :p Seriously tho, almost no streetfighter got recorded and as far as I can tell our communities street fighter game is at a much higher level than our BlazeBlue. Also, the average views on BB games is much lower than the MvC3 videos from the same day. SF gets the most by far and even MK gets a lot.

A main stage like the one from Evo quals would be hype. Even if we just setup a smaller TV there or anything. Something to separate big matches for the hype.
    I missed most of SF team grand finals as I couldn't really see it and it was the only game I was interested in seeing.

You... know a disturbing amount about the vids views.

Regardless, I've already had a chat with Voa about this, we're hoping to get semis and up for everything. But like, we shouldn't be recording me vs monkeyto at Marvel when we could be recording anyone vs Cobelcog/ Hound at SF, if you get me.

I don't think we should be too critical of the last tournament, mistakes were made, so what. Running a tournament is fairly pressure cooker atmosphere IMO and you got to have a little wiggle room because of that.

It wasn't deliberate with the bb vids, I wasn't even there for most of them being recorded (sorry for the delay btw, I'm just going through a busy patch).

Perhaps just skip to the finals between Joe and Voa?

I laughed.

Do a backwards BB tournament! Start with Joe VS Voa, finish with groups.

Anyone who wins a match they aren't supposed to is kicked out for causing a time paradox.

As Chopper stated the main problem for PS3s is trying to get a VGA that works with them. We've tried some and they havn't worked. This is the major problem that I'm aware of.

For DLC they are great assuming some people are willing to give a couple of the 5 "chances" you have for DLC to other people. And for MK they are pretty much essential until they get the combined patch out that will work offline on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

A display needs to be provided for each PS3 as we currently have no VGA solution for them.

Other than that, PS3s are ideal for tournaments.

Apart from the slowdown on MVC3, input delay on AE, and HDR being tournament unplayable... :pac:

• Advertisement

BB seemed to take up the most time by far. Why was that?

We were still setting up while trying to run it. We also encounted a couple issues that prevented a smooth start...still sorry about that Xbox Joe.

Doyler; I do regret that a lot of time was spent recording on BB, and that the SF teams was cast a lil by the wayside for it. I aim to make it up by having the teams be the first thing played on the day, and getting whoever wants to run it organise it so that all the hypest matches are the ones recorded.

Also, Xinkai; PS3's are required for MK9. Though, beggars, choosers, can't be both; If people can supply the machines, we'll take 'em, though Xbox's are preferred due to the VGA cables that we have on hand in the exchange.
    ayjayirl wrote: »
    How many setups are you aiming for Voa? 5 games is gonna be a tight one. I'd say you need to look at 10 setups. I know, you can't exactly just say yeh, 10 setups, done, but I think thats what you should be aiming for.
    If you know 6 other guys with monitors who are willing to spare them, put me in contact with them ;) Joking aside, we have the 4 definate ones in the XGC, Joe's PS3+ monitor...and then it's up to people to volunteer themselves for this. I can't magic monitors out of the air (if I could, I probably would have a decent sight more cash).

Also also, can people who've replied to this thread already please please PM me with the subject line being DoC 4 - (what you can bring and patched with what and to what extent regarding DLC characters/patches). It'll save me having to dig this thread up again, or reading through it to see who's taking jabs at whom and such.

Once I get a rough estimate of how many monitors/consoles are available to use at this, I can start timetabling stuff. I'm still debating internally on the whole 1 game -> 2 games -> 2 games in terms of tournaments... We have 2 hours more this time around, and things might go a bit smoother to run the start of one into the end of the other, or just cleanly end it and start it.

You... know a disturbing amount about the vids views.

Regardless, I've already had a chat with Voa about this, we're hoping to get semis and up for everything. But like, we shouldn't be recording me vs monkeyto at Marvel when we could be recording anyone vs Cobelcog/ Hound at SF, if you get me.

I don't think we should be too critical of the last tournament, mistakes were made, so what. Running a tournament is fairly pressure cooker atmosphere IMO and you got to have a little wiggle room because of that.

It wasn't deliberate with the bb vids, I wasn't even there for most of them being recorded (sorry for the delay btw, I'm just going through a busy patch).

Recording station seems like the best solution. Have the set up with the recording gear act seperately from the rest of the machines. Nothing running on it.

Now assuming different people are running each tournament or tournaments are running seperately then it should be fairly easy to pick out decent matches from the bracket that can be sent to the recording station.

As per your example there's no point recording a semi final just because it's a semi final and equally there's we want to avoid missing killer matches just because they are round 1 of a tournament. Aim to get the best matches, not X and up of the bracket.

EDIT : Obviously, this depends on set ups available etc. Ideal world is what I'm thinking.

Ok, I know a little more about video than the last time we talked ps3/ vga.

People think physical about cables but they don't think signal.

VGA outputs a rgbhv signal. Only devices which output this signal will work with a VGA cable. PS3's cannot currently output this type of signal. There's bogey PS3 ones out there without a transcoder, but they won't work full stop. (This is also why you'll see my little grey converter at the back of the recording set up, while an xbox CAN output in rgbhv component doesn't, and I need a component signal for the hauppage).

I will put a little research into finding a cable with a built in transcoder in it, otherwise the only real viable solution is something like a hd fury with is more cumbersome than it's worth, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I will put a little research into finding a cable with a built in transcoder in it, otherwise the only real viable solution is something like a hd fury with is more cumbersome than it's worth, tbh.

And costs nearly more than your whole current setup.

PPC wrote: »
    And costs nearly more than your whole current setup.

Well, my component > VGA converter would do the job too, right?

That'd still be 50 euro, plus the cost of a PS3 component cable, plus a USB splitter because ps3's only have 2 USB ports and the converter needs power... ouch.

we shouldn't be recording me vs monkeyto at Marvel when we could be recording anyone vs Cobelcog/ Hound at SF, if you get me.

Me VS you in Marvel with Doyler commentary was amazing though. Highlight of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That'd still be 50 euro, plus the cost of a PS3 component cable, plus a USB splitter because ps3's only have 2 USB ports and the converter needs power... ouch.

I have a powered USB hub. The power cable is very short, but it does the job. Think it has six ports.

I should ask now rather than just presume it'll be fine on the day. What cables do I need to connect my PS3 to the monitors we have in the Exchange?

Naphiel wrote: »
    I should ask now rather than just presume it'll be fine on the day. What cables do I need to connect my PS3 to the monitors we have in the Exchange?

Chopper might have a PS3 -> vga yoke, but it's untested. If you have the scart-yoke (the yellow/white/red head cables) and a HDMI cable, you should be alright.

Really, at this point, we're groping for monitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Voa wrote: »
    Chopper might have a PS3 -> vga yoke, but it's untested. If you have the scart-yoke (the yellow/white/red head cables) and a HDMI cable, you should be alright.

Really, at this point, we're groping for monitors.

I'll bring a VGA monitor.

Advertisement