Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU maths and stats question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Thanks for the reply.
    Monkey61 wrote: »
    Also once you have done M208, you will be bored as hell going back to do an easier version of the same thing afterwards

That's what I'd be afraid of!

Getting married the end of this month, so should be no kids til the end of the course!

Just for confirmation, you recommend doing MST209 (Mathematical methods and models) together with MS221 (Exploring maths), and then doing M208 (Pure Maths) the following year?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you've done MST121, there's no need to do MS221 unless your degree specifies it as complusory.

Instead the OU have "bridging notes", which take a few weeks to study.

I've MST121 done and doing MST209 in Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Monkey61 wrote: »
    How much time do you have on your hands for studying? I'm doing 120 points this year as well as working full-time. It is a bit annoying, but totally possible unless you have children, or other massive commitments outside of work.

As M208 leads directly on from MS221 I would probably advise doing MST209 and MS221 together and then M208 the following year. Unless you have a fairly decent grounding in pure maths already and think you would be happy enough to jump straight in. Also once you have done M208, you will be bored as hell going back to do an easier version of the same thing afterwards.

I loved MST209. Loved it. And with a bit of effort in the last month ended up with 100% in the exam, so it is totally doable. It wasn't overly time consuming during the year and I am sure I could have managed to do MS221 simultaneously as the TMAs for that weren't hugely time consuming. It might be a bit tricky to study for two exams at once though... but if you are happy doing that, then go for it!

100% in the exam?

I know plenty of people who've done MST209 and it's far from easy. Plus, they said it was quite time consuming.

Depends on your level of Maths I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Sorry for length of time to respond infacteh, but yes, MST209 and MS221 together one year and then M208 the next year.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    100% in the exam?

I know plenty of people who've done MST209 and it's far from easy. Plus, they said it was quite time consuming.

Depends on your level of Maths I guess.

Yeah it was a fairly straightforward exam with a total of 115 marks awarded. Every mark over 100 is rounded back down to 100% so you can lose up to 15 marks and still get 100%.

I am by no means a brilliant mathematician (cannot handle pure maths to save my life), but I am good at doing sums. The exam is straightforward, in that it is predictable and once you learn how to do each type of question and practice them over and over again, you can perform quite mechanically on the day and don't have to waste loads of time thinking about how to approach a question.

Advertisement