Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver Broncos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Imo we should leave Champ in the slot as it's an area the Pats are most dangerous in. One fella you didn't mention is Tony Carter, maybe move him to the outside and take our chances? Carter's issue is with large, physical receivers whereas NE's receivers are not that type generally
    Carter will be on the field - and what you suggest could well happen. But remember Carter hasn't played in weeks.

The secondary back-ups are awful - and this will play into the Pats hands. JDR will have to be very inventive with blitzes in order to keep Brady under pressure if the Broncos are to hold the Pats offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Syferus wrote: »
    Still only equal to Tebow. This Manning kid still has miles to run to live up to his predecessor.

Was waiting to see how long it would take that one to come up :pac:

Such a fun year that was though...

Harris has a torn ACL - immediate surgery to be back by week 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Yes, a real pity both for the player and the team. It definitely will make the Patriots game that much harder. Hopefully a week of preperation and the D can be ready again. I think it has shown a marked improvement as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Good game last night - and a good win.

I think the Broncos are much better than the 24-17 score and probably left 21 points on the field in total. The penalties did damage on both sides and I felt Weddle got away with a lot of holding on Thomas and Welker during the game.

The Broncos OL stepped up and played physical and the Broncos defence contained the Chargers running game. Play-off games are won in the trenches.

I think the Broncos are well positioned to take on the Pats.

The one big concern is the injury to Harris - if it turns out to be as bad as expected then the Broncos secondary is in big trouble. Champ will move back outside and do what is necessary - the problem is that we are now left with Webster, Jammer and Bolden for the slot, the nickel and dime defence and Brady can pick that line-up apart.

As did the Broncos O line!!, as for the phantom PI call on Gilly v Welker jaysus... and ball was uncatchable too.

Mathews tried to go with high ankle sprain, and while our O line had an off night, there was pretty much no running game to contain.

• Advertisement

As expected Champ Bailey will start at CB in place of injured Chris Harris.

When Broncos go to the nickel Bailey will move inside to cover the slot receiver and Tony Carter will play outside. After getting burned several times against the Chargers Quinton Jammer has been demoted.

As expected Champ Bailey will start at CB in place of injured Chris Harris.

When Broncos go to the nickel Bailey will move inside to cover the slot receiver and Tony Carter will play outside. After getting burned several times against the Chargers Quinton Jammer has been demoted.

Good decision. I'd rather Champ on their slot guys wherever possible and i hope Carter takes his chance with both hands after what happened the last time he played against them. He's a good cover guy though when on the right type of player. Struggles badly against big physical types, hence why Dez Bryant abused him, but is generally good against smaller and faster WRs like NE have.

Good decision. I'd rather Champ on their slot guys wherever possible and i hope Carter takes his chance with both hands after what happened the last time he played against them. He's a good cover guy though when on the right type of player. Struggles badly against big physical types, hence why Dez Bryant abused him, but is generally good against smaller and faster WRs like NE have.
    Carter takes chances - he gets INTs and breaks up passes - but he can't tackle and if the receiver makes the catch then Carter gets burned.

Carter takes chances - he gets INTs and breaks up passes - but he can't tackle and if the receiver makes the catch then Carter gets burned.

All things considered though, i like him covering the outside WR in 3 WR sets. NE's big threat is their slot guys so Champ taking one and Carter covering Thompkins or Dobson isnt the worst matchup.

All things considered though, i like him covering the outside WR in 3 WR sets. NE's big threat is their slot guys so Champ taking one and Carter covering Thompkins or Dobson isnt the worst matchup.
    I agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Here is to an epic game today boys. Let it be a cracking game of football.

Woo-hoo!

We're going to the Superbowl!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭me89

Well done Broncos ye deserved it today, we were never really in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Congrats enjoy the bowl said it in the game thread that I would like to see Manning get another bowl. Seahawks or 49ers who do you fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Cheers lads, fair play to ye for reaching this far, I don't think any other organisation would have gotten this far with that many injuries ;)

Mmmmm......Sf or Hawks, I'm gonna say Hawks, probably not muchh difference but I think I fear Kapernick and co. that little bit more, it's a close call tho !

Edit: Just as I speak the SF have turned it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Very well done lads and I'll be rooting for ye now all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

TO. wrote: »
    Congrats enjoy the bowl said it in the game thread that I would like to see Manning get another bowl. Seahawks or 49ers who do you fancy?

They are both good teams. I think we would match up a bit better with the Seahawks. Both teams are more well rounded than we are, but I'd put our offense against anyone. I hope it turns out to be a good game (with a hard fought Broncos victory).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Congrats Broncos

Rooting for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just about to watch the highlights on Sky now. Head is pounding but that was some night last night! Still cant believe we're in the Superbowl and dominating the Pats to get there just made it sweeter!

Most pats fans I know are also United fans, so yesterday was a sweet sweet day!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Best of luck in the Super Bowl, lads. I'll be rooting for you.

• Advertisement

I am going to post this comment here as it was removed from the Pats thread and I believe it is an issue that deserves to be debated.

At his press conference Bill Belichick accused Wes Welker of 'deliberately' taking our Aqib Talib with an open-field pick and that the tackle was “one of the worst plays I’ve seen,’’.

Now I have no problem debating the merits or not of Welker's actions.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that prior to this play on two seperate occasions Pats WRs attempted to take out DRC with cheap shots - both with hits to the head in openfiled pick plays. For BB its okay when his players attempt to 'take out' the best defensive player on the Broncos team - yet when the Broncos respond and show they will not allow the Pats to intimidate them with cheap shots then BB believes its is “one of the worst plays I’ve seen,’’.

BB should have manned up and acknowledged that his team tried to intimidate the Broncos defenders with blatant open-field pick plays and found the Broncos unwilling to submit to this intimidation - he should accept that his team were beaten by the better team on the day and not resort to cheap shots and finger-pointing at one player who rejected the 'Patriot Way' and found another team that appreciated his talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Congrats Broncos

Rooting for ye
    I am going to post this comment here as it was removed from the Pats thread and I believe it is an issue that deserves to be debated.

At his press conference Bill Belichick accused Wes Welker of 'deliberately' taking our Aqib Talib with an open-field pick and that the tackle was “one of the worst plays I’ve seen,’’.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that prior to this play on two seperate occasions Pats WRs attempted to take out DRC with cheap shots - both with hits to the head in openfiled pick plays. For BB its okay when his players attempt to 'take out' the best defensive player on the Broncos team - yet when the Broncos respond and show they will not allow the Pats to intimidate them with cheap shots then BB believes its is “one of the worst plays I’ve seen,’’.

BB should have manned up and acknowledged that his team tried to intimidate the Broncos defenders with blatant open-field pick plays and found the Broncos unwilling to submit to this intimidation - he should accept that his team were beaten by the better team on the day and not resort to cheap shots and finger-pointing at one player who rejected the 'Patriot Way' and found another team that appreciated his talents.

He's just bitter about the loss. He practically wrote Welker out of the post season last year. Besides the rule states that if contact occurs as the ball is being caught there is no pass interference.

As you say Edelman was doing the same thing to DRC and there was no flag there either. Plus BB has been known to do a little cheating himself. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Time to focus on the Seahags now. Brings back old AFC west rivalry memories. Back in the Craig Morton, Jim Zorn days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I think a lot of his other comments were complimentry of the Broncos and the game they played. I would guess most people would take what he said about Welker with a grain of salt being aware of their recent history.

John Fox responded to the claims of BB as follows
    "I haven't even seen the tape and I haven't seen his comment, so I don't feel that I can comment on that, other than that I know that Wes Welker is a great player, high integrity. I can say that we were not doing anything with intent. That's the only comment I have."

When pressed further
    "Like I said, I have a lot of respect for Bill and I have not seen the comment. I am not going to stand up here and make comments about something I haven't seen."

and when asked why BB made the comments
    "That's a good question and I don't have the answer to that,"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Putin - Post, not the poster please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Very rich coming from the man who cheated his way to at least one superbowl. He's one of the most unlikeable people in the game and the sooner he's gone the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

As Neil said attack the post not the poster guys and keep the discussion on football

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

MVP : Most Valuable Peyton
    The ugly truth about Peyton Manning

Seen this a few weeks ago but I suppose it's time to stick it up now that he's on the verge of the big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

MVP : Most Valuable Peyton
    The ugly truth about Peyton Manning

Seen this a few weeks ago but I suppose it's time to stick it up now that he's on the verge of the big one.

Great story. Bizarre title though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Go on the Broncos, Denver is now home to two of my all time Fav QB's in Elway and Manning. Between that and Champ Bailey getting his 1st shot after 15 seasons, I'm hoping that Denver win it.

Advertisement