Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan tubridy quits twitter

Options
  • 09-08-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

ryan tubridy has said he is leaving twitter can this be true or a wind up
    here are last two tweets
    TubridyTweets Ryan Tubridy
    The Tubridy radio show and Late Late Show will have well attended Twitter accounts as I leave this curious social medium. Cont'd...

TubridyTweets Ryan Tubridy
    Dear Twitter, this is my last tweet. It's been lots of fun but I must leave. No drama, just not enough time. Thanks and take care.

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1479275422/image_normal.jpg :eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

O M G jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Not enough time? You only type a message out which could only take at most 50 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Why does he not just stop posting? Talk about petulant attention whoring.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

who cares?

and more importantly, can we get rid of him from the radio?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

What a tit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Heartbroken am i.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

koth wrote: »
    who cares?

and more importantly, can we get rid of him from the radio?

is this the start of the end of tubbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

We live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Has his show on BBC radio started yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

From AH

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Has his show on BBC radio started yet?

week 3 this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

He is right to leave. Too many abusive a'holes about with little else to do but give him crap online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

sollar wrote: »
    He is right to leave. Too many abusive a'holes about with little else to do but give him crap online.

I know!

What the hell are we gonna do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Probably afraid his tweets will come back to haunt him when he goes for the presidency in years to come.

He was fairly harmless on twitter tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

sollar wrote: »

More like he found out that we all hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

He was fairly harmless on twitter tbh.

I find that hard to believe.

Actually, no I don't.

here is some words from the man himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-LzgrJ3PFU

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM RYAN TUBRIDY HIMSELF

Speaking to reporters this afternoon Tubridy explained that twitter was becoming too much of a distraction. He said: "I had fun, I think it's a great medium, I think people should do it, and tweet and have fun doing it but when you're running around trying to do a radio show and a chat show and then have a life after that then it's probably a medium too far, so that's why I said look, give it a rest."

When asked if his decision was affected by negative comments from other twitter users Tubridy said: "If I had found stuff hurtful that was said about me on twitter I would have left 2 days after I started."

"When you're a professional show-off you get stuff thrown at you and I accept that. You know what, totally up for that, thick enough skin."

The 38-year-old broadcaster informed his 60,539 followers in his valedictory tweet last night of his surprise decision.

He wrote: "Dear Twitter, this is my last tweet.

"It's been lots of fun but I must leave. No drama, just not enough time. Thanks and take care. #goodbye. The Tubridy Radio Show and Late Late Show will have well attended Twitter accounts as I leave this curious social medium."

Tubridy's online goodbye prompted a number of responses from the twitter community.

One tweeter wrote: "For Tweetdeck users, search @tubridytweets and you'll see what he's put up with. Don't blame him. Good luck Ryan."

Another tweeted: "I don't understand - you were made for Twitter, you made me love it. Don't leave."

Tubridy was one of the pioneering members of the 'Twitterati', an avid contributor to the social medium with more than 5,000 tweets posted on his page.

But for now it's #goodnight and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I think i mite leave it aswell now, dont have a reason anymore to check my twitter :o a sad day :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

jimmynokia wrote: »
    OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM RYAN TUBRIDY HIMSELF

Speaking to reporters this afternoon Tubridy explained that twitter was becoming too much of a distraction. He said: "I had fun, I think it's a great medium, I think people should do it, and tweet and have fun doing it but when you're running around trying to do a radio show and a chat show and then have a life after that then it's probably a medium too far, so that's why I said look, give it a rest."

When asked if his decision was affected by negative comments from other twitter users Tubridy said: "If I had found stuff hurtful that was said about me on twitter I would have left 2 days after I started."

"When you're a professional show-off you get stuff thrown at you and I accept that. You know what, totally up for that, thick enough skin."

The 38-year-old broadcaster informed his 60,539 followers in his valedictory tweet last night of his surprise decision.

He wrote: "Dear Twitter, this is my last tweet.

"It's been lots of fun but I must leave. No drama, just not enough time. Thanks and take care. #goodbye. The Tubridy Radio Show and Late Late Show will have well attended Twitter accounts as I leave this curious social medium."

Tubridy's online goodbye prompted a number of responses from the twitter community.

One tweeter wrote: "For Tweetdeck users, search @tubridytweets and you'll see what he's put up with. Don't blame him. Good luck Ryan."

Another tweeted: "I don't understand - you were made for Twitter, you made me love it. Don't leave."

Tubridy was one of the pioneering members of the 'Twitterati', an avid contributor to the social medium with more than 5,000 tweets posted on his page.

But for now it's #goodnight and good luck

What a knob! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I'm sure there is an option on twitter in which he could block abuse from certain people, don't use it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eirezman

Man that is *BIP*

besides been in front of many papers today here is another statement

Tubridy insists decision to quit Twitter was his own
    By Seán McCárthaigh
    Thursday, August 11, 2011
    RYAN TUBRIDY has rejected any suggestion that he was forced by either RTÉ or BBC to abandon his highly popular Twitter account.
    The TV and radio star insisted yesterday the decision to quit Twitter was entirely his own.

"There are no pressure from anyone at any time," said the Late Late Show presenter. "The most important reason why I quit was time. I was finding myself checking the tweets and tweeting all the time before, after and during programmes."

Tubridy, who had some 60,000 followers of his Twitter account, had posted over 5,400 messages in the space of two years.

The father-of-two said the decision was due to his busy work schedule, which sees the return of his show on 2FM and the Late Late Show, in addition to his role as a stand-in presenter for Graham Norton on BBC Radio 2 on Saturdays.

"Twitter was becoming too much of a distraction. With the TV and radio shows coming back soon, I need to focus," he said.

The presenter also dismissed rumours that he had quit using social media because he was upset by hurtful comments posted about himself.
    "I’ve thick enough skin for that stuff," he laughed.

"It’s a great medium but it’s like a pub conversation — there are people you like and others you try to avoid. I just decided to leave the pub," he quipped.

The 38-year-old presenter expressed disappointment at recent listenership figures which showed the audience for his weekday show on 2FM fell by 16,000 over three months to 186,000.

Speaking at the launch of RTÉ’s TV autumn schedule in Montrose, Tubridy said he was enjoying his "summer job" with BBC Radio 2 in London.

"I love the sense of a new experience and the anonymity of London," he observed.

Tubridy said he was also looking forward to his third season as host of the Late Late Show, which resumes on September 2.

Meanwhile, Tubridy also expressed surprise at the campaign that had sprung up about to nominate the original Late Late Show presenter, Gay Byrne as a presidential candidate.

"We broke the story last Friday on my radio show when Gay fudged the question about whether he’d be interested in the presidency. A week ago, I would have said Gay was having a laugh but now I think he may well get on the ballot paper."

Tubridy said he believed his predecessor would make a "fab" president. However, he stressed that he was not endorsing any candidate as all were likely to be interviewed on the Late Late Show in coming months.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/tubridy-insists-decision-to-quit-twitter-was-his-own-163869.html#ixzz1UjlaKwSl

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Robinwood

LoL ! I hope its not some kind of drama to get the People attention towards him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I LOVE this youtube comment -

"He's a fcuking splinter from the plank that is Pat Kenny."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

I'm sure there is an option on twitter in which he could block abuse from certain people, don't use it myself.

You can, afaik. Someone here posted that they asked him why he was more interested in talking about JFK than the Donegal bi-election. He apparently then blocked them.

yep you can block and he mentioned it on radio stating lets see how many more people i can block,he just could not handle the stick and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's odd, what he was saying on twitter was never controversial or anything like that, he used it to plug his show a bit.

The statement that it takes too much time is bull if you ask me, he must have been getting fierce abuse from people.

Although seen as how he works for RTE, and we pay his wages, aren't we entitled to call his show crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Beatles Beatles, JFK.
    Mad Men, West Wing, Band of Brothers #goodbye

Very funny indeed

Advertisement