Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PITMAN TRAINING?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all. I am currently out of work and I am looking at training and upskilling myself in order to increase my chances of employment. I have been looking at pitman training which I have heard is quite successful at doing this. It offers FETAC accredited courses so it appears to be regulated.

There is but one problem I have and that is the cost of the courses are all around the €3000 mark. My main dilema right now is simply;

1) is the good value for money?
    2) Will I get a job at the end of the course?
    3) Am I better off doing a university course instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

€3000 is very steep.

What type of course are you interested in?

You mention FETAC accreditation, but you need to know what level FETAC award you can get and if it is a full award. The FETAC system is explained in this diagram and as you can see university starts at Level 7.

If you are interested in Level 5 and 6 qualifications, you'd be better off (financially and educationally) contacting your local VEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Folks, I've had to snip away some comments on this thread that were defamatory. as Pitman Training have been in touch to notify us of this content. Furthermore, they want to offer La realidad an opportunity to sample one of their courses (I'll be in contact directly about this) which is more than fair in trying to help someone out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Noreen Ahern

Hi, I'm looking at doing an Advanced Accounts Diploma with Pitman in Limerick, but again it's very expensive 2,500 euro up front, or 2,750 by direct debit. I'm working in payroll but would like to get back into accounts. I have the experience, but not the qualifications. Is Pitman the right course or should I consider something else.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi, I'm looking at doing an Advanced Accounts Diploma with Pitman in Limerick, but again it's very expensive 2,500 euro up front, or 2,750 by direct debit. I'm working in payroll but would like to get back into accounts. I have the experience, but not the qualifications. Is Pitman the right course or should I consider something else.Thanks

That is a very general question. You ask if Pitman is the right course, why do you think it might be the right course? What do you mean by 'right'? Right because of the hours, or the content or the acceptability of the qualification? Have you looked at other options? Even someone who has done the course cannot know whether it will be right for you without more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Noreen Ahern

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking for someone who has actually done the course. Have you done this course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, but as I work in the Further Education sector I am aware of some of the issues. For example, why not apply to your local VEC and get a qualification for a fraction of the price. At the same time it may not be feasible to do a full time course, maybe you want part time or distance learning. Do you want to go on to Higher Education, in which case a FETAC course might be more acceptable to a third level institution. Maybe that does not matter. Without this kind of information it is impossible to know what is 'right' for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lesleybabe32

Dav wrote: »
    Folks, I've had to snip away some comments on this thread that were defamatory. as Pitman Training have been in touch to notify us of this content. Furthermore, they want to offer La realidad an opportunity to sample one of their courses (I'll be in contact directly about this) which is more than fair in trying to help someone out.

I wonder why you had to delete anything, what about Freedom of speach? I personally am very disappointed with Pitman Training and would not recommend it to anyone, my story is a long one, but lets just say throughout my many years of updating my CV, the best way to go is VEC or your local IT, they will help you all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Killemall

I wonder why you had to delete anything, what about Freedom of speach? I personally am very disappointed with Pitman Training and would not recommend it to anyone, my story is a long one, but lets just say throughout my many years of updating my CV, the best way to go is VEC or your local IT, they will help you all the way!

What do you mean by dissapointed? Their method of teaching isn't what you expected? I haven't done a Pitman course but I believe you have to do all the work yourself? There's someone there but they don't teach it's all done with computer programs, is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'm sure pitman are very good at what they do. I would look into applying to VTOS through the local VEC who offer fantastic FETAC courses at no fees (certain criteria ie., unemployed, in receipt of certain payments). As an adult going back into education VECs are extremely helpful and encouraging and the tutors are brilliant and very student focussed.

deelite wrote: »
    I'm sure pitman are very good at what they do. I would look into applying to VTOS through the local VEC who offer fantastic FETAC courses at no fees (certain criteria ie., unemployed, in receipt of certain payments). As an adult going back into education VECs are extremely helpful and encouraging and the tutors are brilliant and very student focussed.

Yes it sounds like people should do that. At least if you don't like the course you're doing it doesn't cost you anything like 3000 euro!

• Advertisement

Killemall wrote: »
    What do you mean by dissapointed? Their method of teaching isn't what you expected? I haven't done a Pitman course but I believe you have to do all the work yourself? There's someone there but they don't teach it's all done with computer programs, is this correct?

Ok I will explain: Wanted to update my CV and add to my Career, so I decided Pitman was good for me, as I was still working full time. I took my time doing the course and when I finished my final exam I was elated! I then asked for my Diploma in Medical Secretary and was told I won't get it as my Word Exam was out of date, so I had to sit Word 2007 module and do the exam, also had to add 2 more modules in the newer course so paid another €285 to do the Getting into HR and Secretary day course, again asked for my diploma when finished all exams etc and was told I did not get it as I had 3 course completes (which means I completed the modules but failed the exam) and I to get the Diploma you are only allowed 2 course Completes - which I was never told about. So basically afer all that money and time, I did not get anything out of Pitman only a Platnium Award (which to me is not good enough) they never commuicated any of this to me - found them totally unprofessional. When I had a half hour conversation with the manager I was told I could get the Diploma if I sat the Word 2010, but then I would have to do the Outlook, Excel and Audio again and these would now be out of date - is this not RIDICULOUS?

Yes, that doesn't sound good. For the amount of money you have to spend to do a pitman course they should be better run than that.
    Then again their interest is making money, the more courses you have to do with them, the more money they make.
    Very dishonest way of doing things however. I think the option stated by Deelite above is the best way to go.
    Maybe cut your loses with these people?

Yes, that doesn't sound good. For the amount of money you have to spend to do a pitman course they should be better run than that.
    Then again their interest is making money, the more courses you have to do with them, the more money they make.
    Very dishonest way of doing things however. I think the option stated by Deelite above is the best way to go.
    Maybe cut your loses with these people?

Thanks for your honesty, easier said than done to walk away though after 3 years and €3000 - for now have asked my a copy of there std contract and my 3 exams back to see where I supposedly went wrong, then I will get onto head office of Pitman and let them know the story, at this stage just to avoid anyone else getting such bad service!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Optimus_Prime

I Find These Pitman Training centers a complete waste of Time. I would highly reccemond taking a FETAC course which is what I did in the end.They are cheaper and run to a higher standard.

I had terrible dealings with the owner of the Pitman training center in Cork. I applied do a course with this center and was told that they would need to order in my books, but I could still work away with the audio files. Weeks passed and there was no contact from the center nor was there any sign of my books.

I contacted the center on a number of occasions and received no satisfaction each time they said that an order was about to be put through and that they would be in touch as soon as they came in .

Another two weeks passed and there was still no sign of my books. I contacted the Center to request a refund of my course fees only to have some man who claimed to be the owner refuse to offer me a refund on the grounds i had already started the course. He was so obnoxious that i eventually ended up terminating the conversation.

Save yourself the time and the hassle and do a proper FETAC course.

I Find These Pitman Training centers a complete waste of Time. I would highly reccemond taking a FETAC course which is what I did in the end.They are cheaper and run to a higher standard.

I had terrible dealings with the owner of the Pitman training center in Cork. I applied do a course with this center and was told that they would need to order in my books, but I could still work away with the audio files. Weeks passed and there was no contact from the center nor was there any sign of my books.

I contacted the center on a number of occasions and received no satisfaction each time they said that an order was about to be put through and that they would be in touch as soon as they came in .

Another two weeks passed and there was still no sign of my books. I contacted the Center to request a refund of my course fees only to have some man who claimed to be the owner refuse to offer me a refund on the grounds i had already started the course. He was so obnoxious that i eventually ended up terminating the conversation.

Save yourself the time and the hassle and do a proper FETAC course.

I am sorry for your bad experience, but on the other hand I am glad I don't feel alone, I know the guy your talking about as both Tralee and Cork run my same people, thanks for the feedback although my time and money has been wasted already!!!!!!! Maybe Pitman will read this some day and see they need to do something about there customer care!!!

I know the guy your talking about as both Tralee and Cork run my same people

I did not know that the two centers were linked. Its a shame that a person with his attitude towards people has a monopoly on two counties in the Munster Region.

I'm sure there are many other people in the same boat. Im not concerned about the Owners of the Cork and Kerry centers seeing this as I have already expressed my opinion to him down the phone.

I wish the actual Owners of the Pitman franchise saw these messages and took some action. I personally think the guys in cork are only concerned with getting money off Students. Before I signed up i had a meeting with the cork center and was told a deposit was needed as soon as possible to sign up.

I told them i would need to go and have a think about it as it was a lot of money to invest in a training program. Throughout my time deciding I was contacted 3 - 4 times asking me if I would be signing up.

Then when I do sign up I get no contact at all. Maybe other center owners have a better attitude to students and don't see us as their cash cow.

If you don't mind me asking Lesleybabe32 was your dealings with The Cork or Kerry center ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

Ok I will explain: Wanted to update my CV and add to my Career, so I decided Pitman was good for me, as I was still working full time. I took my time doing the course and when I finished my final exam I was elated! I then asked for my Diploma in Medical Secretary and was told I won't get it as my Word Exam was out of date, so I had to sit Word 2007 module and do the exam, also had to add 2 more modules in the newer course so paid another €285 to do the Getting into HR and Secretary day course, again asked for my diploma when finished all exams etc and was told I did not get it as I had 3 course completes (which means I completed the modules but failed the exam) and I to get the Diploma you are only allowed 2 course Completes - which I was never told about. So basically afer all that money and time, I did not get anything out of Pitman only a Platnium Award (which to me is not good enough) they never commuicated any of this to me - found them totally unprofessional. When I had a half hour conversation with the manager I was told I could get the Diploma if I sat the Word 2010, but then I would have to do the Outlook, Excel and Audio again and these would now be out of date - is this not RIDICULOUS?

Hi Lesleybabe32

I did a Diploma with Pitman in Tralee not too long ago and found them great...the girls there were really friendly and helpful and I found the interview before signing up to a course brilliant, as I was going to do another course originally, and based on the course advisor's suggestion, I changed to a Diploma that was far more relevant to the area I eventually found work in.

I was surveyed after to see if I got a job (which I did thank God) and they said that they were delighted, as they had the highest employment record in Kerry again...so they must be doing something right.

I'm confused about your problem, perhaps you could clarify.

You said you got "3 Course Completes". That means you failed 3 modules, even after repeating?

You hardly expect to get a Diploma if you failed 3 modules. My Diploma only had 6 Modules, I'm not sure how many you had.

And the tests are open book, so I think to be fair you have to take some personal responsibility for failing, I failed one module but passed it (after learning my lesson) on the 2nd attempt, but got distinctions in the rest.

I can't see how your "Word Exam" was out of date, I was told the qualifications with Pitman last for 3 years, so that would mean it was over 3 years since you took the Word exam, is that true? If not you should go back to them and ask for clarification.

My advice would be to put down on your CV that you completed the Diploma and leave out the qualification, If asked in interviews etc, you could say that you completed the Diploma and that you got a Platinum award or whatever.

It's a great achievement to have completed all the modules (and more in your case) and I think employers will appreciate that.

Best of luck!

B :o

Thanks for your honesty, easier said than done to walk away though after 3 years and €3000 - for now have asked my a copy of there std contract and my 3 exams back to see where I supposedly went wrong, then I will get onto head office of Pitman and let them know the story, at this stage just to avoid anyone else getting such bad service!

Yes, do everything you can to get the degree. You deserve it after all the money and time you put in. Plus the bad service, surely the head office will deal with it better.
    Plenty of people look up boards when about to do a course. They like to find out information before signing up, especially for the cost of a Pitman course.
    It will look bad if your situation is left unresolved. People will search here and see that they can't be trusted.
    On the other hand, you'll come back here and say it worked out well if they do the right thing so it's in their best interest to look after you.

Yes, do everything you can to get the degree. You deserve it after all the money and time you put in. Plus the bad service, surely the head office will deal with it better.
    Plenty of people look up boards when about to do a course. They like to find out information before signing up, especially for the cost of a Pitman course.
    It will look bad if your situation is left unresolved. People will search here and see that they can't be trusted.
    On the other hand, you'll come back here and say it worked out well if they do the right thing so it's in their best interest to look after you.

Absolutely, I will defo keep ye all up to date on the situation, thanks for all the positive comments, keeps my spirit up about the whole ordeal!!!

Absolutely, I will defo keep ye all up to date on the situation, thanks for all the positive comments, keeps my spirit up about the whole ordeal!!!

No problem, I'm sure it will all work out well for you in the end.

• Advertisement

It seems to me that ballinasloe is a little too informed and I would not be at all surprised if it was a Pitman representative from either center trying to diffuse the situation before their reputation is even more tainted.

It seems to me that ballinasloe is a little too informed and I would not be at all surprised if it was a Pitman representative from either center trying to diffuse the situation before their reputation is even more tainted.

I hope so, I hope Pitman see this and solve the issue, as it was not me that did anything wrong only Trust a Educational Company to get a Diploma, they need to be informed and they just rang to say my Contract is in the post, so lets see what comes of that, will keep ye posted!!

Well if they have contacted you its safe to assume that ballinasloe was in fact a Pitman representative from either Cork or Tralee.

Best of luck with it and I hope you get some satisfaction from them although I highly doubt you will..

Just make sure you do not get roped into handing them over any more money and go off and take a FETAC course for yourself..

Hi Lesleybabe32

I did a Diploma with Pitman in Tralee not too long ago and found them great...the girls there were really friendly and helpful and I found the interview before signing up to a course brilliant, as I was going to do another course originally, and based on the course advisor's suggestion, I changed to a Diploma that was far more relevant to the area I eventually found work in.

I was surveyed after to see if I got a job (which I did thank God) and they said that they were delighted, as they had the highest employment record in Kerry again...so they must be doing something right.

I'm confused about your problem, perhaps you could clarify.

You said you got "3 Course Completes". That means you failed 3 modules, even after repeating?

You hardly expect to get a Diploma if you failed 3 modules. My Diploma only had 6 Modules, I'm not sure how many you had.

And the tests are open book, so I think to be fair you have to take some personal responsibility for failing, I failed one module but passed it (after learning my lesson) on the 2nd attempt, but got distinctions in the rest.

I can't see how your "Word Exam" was out of date, I was told the qualifications with Pitman last for 3 years, so that would mean it was over 3 years since you took the Word exam, is that true? If not you should go back to them and ask for clarification.

My advice would be to put down on your CV that you completed the Diploma and leave out the qualification, If asked in interviews etc, you could say that you completed the Diploma and that you got a Platinum award or whatever.

It's a great achievement to have completed all the modules (and more in your case) and I think employers will appreciate that.

Best of luck!

B :o

Very informed I must say, that is exactly what my problem was, I was not informed, of course I take responsiblity for failing an exam and if you did the word exam you know how easy it is to fail not based on the questions given but the overall module. I never knew taking this exam that I had 2 course completes at this stage and that another one would totally fail me, I did the word at my ease and thought I had a Diploma, which I did not. I got 7 distinctions and 3 passes and 3 course completes and as you can imagine that is a lot of work and yes took over 3 years as I always worked full time.
    At no point have I said anything about 'The girls' in pitman, they are lovely and have always been nothing but professional. Overall I now am a 'Word Exam' away from a Diploma, which as you or anyone can imagine - frustrating. Basically Pitman took there 'eye of the ball' and I have every right to say so!!!!!!!!!

Well if they have contacted you its safe to assume that ballinasloe was in fact a Pitman representative from either Cork or Tralee.

Best of luck with it and I hope you get some satisfaction from them although I highly doubt you will..

Just make sure you do not get roped into handing them over any more money and go off and take a FETAC course for yourself..

They won't be getting another penny and I will never recommend them, thanks for your comments, good to know people are on my side and yes of Course your right when you say they must by from Pitman, way too informed in comparison. I gave Pitman a change but they did not come up with a possitive solution, at no point did I want money back or anything just my DIPLOMA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ballinasloe

Hi Lesleybabe

firstly, I do not represent Pitman Training, but I do confess I am a former Diploma student...and I did fail an exam with them so I understand your frustration (I was shocked when I failed, it was the first time in my life I ever failed an exam)

I was never given my certs until the end of my course, and I'm not sure about them calling me with results, as I would usually ask how I got on in the last exam when I was in training, and they were usually able to check "my file" to see if the results were in.

However, I stand by my comment, I think you have to accept responsibility for failing 3 modules and the repeats.

I think you should at least request a meeting with them to discuss the situation and see if there's anything they can do to help?

Hi Lesleybabe

firstly, I do not represent Pitman Training, but I do confess I am a former Diploma student...and I did fail an exam with them so I understand your frustration (I was shocked when I failed, it was the first time in my life I ever failed an exam)

I was never given my certs until the end of my course, and I'm not sure about them calling me with results, as I would usually ask how I got on in the last exam when I was in training, and they were usually able to check "my file" to see if the results were in.

However, I stand by my comment, I think you have to accept responsibility for failing 3 modules and the repeats.

I think you should at least request a meeting with them to discuss the situation and see if there's anything they can do to help?

If you were following the Thread you would have seen that I had a meeting over the phone and I was told I could get the Diploma if I sat the Word 2010, but then I would have to do the Outlook, Excel and Audio again and these would now be out of date - this could take me another 6 months - if this was a college or any other Educational Institute I would have been called in as soon as any exam failed to discuss further options - the argument I am having is 'Lack of Communication' I never asked Pitman to take responsibility for me failing but for them 'Failing' to discuss options before I failed another exam!! Boards.ie is developed for Opinions and as I respect yours, I am sure you can respect mine and my Frustration!

Even if they are not, I am feeling a little put out by them now, not seeing my point and blaming me for 'Failing'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 pitmanireland

I have in the last few days viewed a number of postings from two students expressing concerns regarding their experiences at our centres in Cork and Tralee. My first wish is to express our sincere regret to both students (Lesleybabe32 and Optimus Prime) that they have found learning with us to be a frustrating experience. As a responsible training provider we are of course sensitive to criticism, and it is our hope that we will be give the opportunity to investigate what has happened in these two instances. It is appropriate for me to meet with the two students and personally listen to their concerns. Where the conclusion points to any need for a change to our procedures, we will put those steps in place. Our view though is that it would be wrong for us as an organisation to engage in any open discussion regarding any student and their individual experience. To that end I hope that Lesleybabe32 and Optimus Prime will consider what I suggest below:

· Lesleybabe32 – You have raised a number of points in your postings and these need to be thoroughly investigated. This is a task that I will personally undertake. I am visiting our centre in Tralee on 1st March and will be available to meet with you at any time between 9am and 2pm. Please let me know via email to ireland@pitman-training.ie if this is convenient and where you would like to meet. If the short notice is a problem I will be back in Tralee in 2 to 3 weeks, so please let me know a date and time that fits for you.

· Optimus Prime – As is the case with Lesleybabe32 I need you to email me with your name, contact details and information relating to the training course fees that you paid. There were a couple of occasions in late 2011 when we had problems with the supply of training materials, which was an issue for us. These problems were resolved and no student should ever find themselves in the position of not having workbooks in order to commence study. I am presuming that you may have been affected by these delays and if this is the case you have my personal assurance you will receive a full refund, and should you wish to meet then this can be arranged in Cork at your convenience.

In proposing the above, each of the two students has my assurance of confidentiality in our dealings. Boards.ie and other similar sites have an important role to play in providing an opportunity for the exchange of views and experiences. Where any student has a complaint or expresses concern we always hope it will be immediately brought to our attention so that we can put things right in a prompt and fair manner. Equally, many thousands of our students are appreciative for what Pitman Training has done for them and I am reminded of this when I visit our training centres and see the gifts to our staff, thank you cards and the letters of praise they receive.

I do hope to hear from both Lesleybabe32 and Optimus Prime very soon regarding this.

Derek Smith

• Advertisement

I have in the last few days viewed a number of postings from two students expressing concerns regarding their experiences at our centres in Cork and Tralee. My first wish is to express our sincere regret to both students (Lesleybabe32 and Optimus Prime) that they have found learning with us to be a frustrating experience. As a responsible training provider we are of course sensitive to criticism, and it is our hope that we will be give the opportunity to investigate what has happened in these two instances. It is appropriate for me to meet with the two students and personally listen to their concerns. Where the conclusion points to any need for a change to our procedures, we will put those steps in place. Our view though is that it would be wrong for us as an organisation to engage in any open discussion regarding any student and their individual experience. To that end I hope that Lesleybabe32 and Optimus Prime will consider what I suggest below:

· Lesleybabe32 – You have raised a number of points in your postings and these need to be thoroughly investigated. This is a task that I will personally undertake. I am visiting our centre in Tralee on 1st March and will be available to meet with you at any time between 9am and 2pm. Please let me know via email to ireland@pitman-training.ie if this is convenient and where you would like to meet. If the short notice is a problem I will be back in Tralee in 2 to 3 weeks, so please let me know a date and time that fits for you.

· Optimus Prime – As is the case with Lesleybabe32 I need you to email me with your name, contact details and information relating to the training course fees that you paid. There were a couple of occasions in late 2011 when we had problems with the supply of training materials, which was an issue for us. These problems were resolved and no student should ever find themselves in the position of not having workbooks in order to commence study. I am presuming that you may have been affected by these delays and if this is the case you have my personal assurance you will receive a full refund, and should you wish to meet then this can be arranged in Cork at your convenience.

In proposing the above, each of the two students has my assurance of confidentiality in our dealings. Boards.ie and other similar sites have an important role to play in providing an opportunity for the exchange of views and experiences. Where any student has a complaint or expresses concern we always hope it will be immediately brought to our attention so that we can put things right in a prompt and fair manner. Equally, many thousands of our students are appreciative for what Pitman Training has done for them and I am reminded of this when I visit our training centres and see the gifts to our staff, thank you cards and the letters of praise they receive.

I do hope to hear from both Lesleybabe32 and Optimus Prime very soon regarding this.

Derek Smith

Thanks very much for your response Derek, I really do hope to turn this negative experience into a possitive one, I - like most people - don't like to have to complain, but in this case I feel very strongly about the lack of communciation I had with Pitman, I will private mail you now to arrange and meeting and look forward to discussing a solution and trust me if I get sorted I will be praising Pitman instead of giving out, Regards, Lesley

Advertisement