Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 scheme: should it be built?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I would gladly take the M18 as far as Rathmorrissey now, with the M17 being postponed for a few years. I'm not against a toll between Galway and Limerick either (i.e. - a toll somewhere between Gort and Rathmorrissey)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Arguably though, Claregalway is far worse of a bottleneck than Clarinbridge is.

What needs to happen is that Claregalway Inner Relief Road. More important than the M18 gap or the M17. I CANNOT believe that such a comparatively small project has taken so many decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Firstly, I'm sorry for jumping down your throat in the thread relating to the shelving of road projects...

...should have read your post properly before replying! :o

Now, the above concept is something I've been thinking as well - do we really need the M17 right now - can it not be put on standby as a shovel ready project for when the economy picks up again. Indeed, it seems that the road that's needed right now is the N6 Galway Outer Bypass. The M18 should also be completed as well as the M11 Arklow to Rathnew and N7 NLX. The next priorities should then be the M20, Dunkettle and the N22 CNRR (North Section).

Regards!

No worries mate, all in a day's heated debate. Yeah I'd go along with the M11 gap, NLX and Dunkettle as far more important than this project. But we haven't been great with priorities in this country the last 10 years, building white elephant after white elephant while major problems are ignored. Hopefully that attitude has now shifted, with a severe lack of resources focussing minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

The next priorities should then be the M20, Dunkettle and the N22 CNRR (North Section).

To which I'd add the N28 (or whatever road ends up servicing The Port of Cork expansion).

xU6TD.jpg
    http://apps.galwaycoco.ie/planningenquiry/MainFrames.aspx - you might need to be in IE to see this.
    I was having a poke around Galway county council's planning tool and saw the above.

Possible routes for the relief road / bypass?

Don't know about the others but the orange route can be quite damp at times.

There is more detail if you zoom in including roundabout locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

xU6TD.jpg
    http://apps.galwaycoco.ie/planningenquiry/MainFrames.aspx - you might need to be in IE to see this.
    I was having a poke around Galway county council's planning tool and saw the above.

Possible routes for the relief road / bypass?

Don't know about the others but the orange route can be quite damp at times.

There is more detail if you zoom in including roundabout locations.

The Blue/red route was the one that was finally chosen, nice find though. Of course back in the late 1990's they had an exhibition of possible routes in the Library in Augustine street. Just shows how long this has been going on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

dubhthach wrote: »
    The Blue/red route was the one that was finally chosen, nice find though. Of course back in the late 1990's they had an exhibition of possible routes in the Library in Augustine street. Just shows how long this has been going on ;)

That's an awful sharp turn on the north there, why's that?

When I zoomed in further I could see that the blue/red route had the least impact on existing houses.

So the red route has three roundabouts (North of C'Galway, N18, South of C'Galway)

Is there any reason why a roundabout is being used on the N18 rather than traffic lights as in the village and at Carnmore cross? Is there not a risk of congestion in the evenings for traffic arriving from Galway having to give way to traffic arriving down from the N18?
    That's an awful sharp turn on the north there, why's that?
    It looks like it is to avoid cutting off about 8 one off houses at the end of a lane. The trade off is that it seems to be pushing the road into lower land that is marked as liable to floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

When I zoomed in further I could see that the blue/red route had the least impact on existing houses.

So the red route has three roundabouts (North of C'Galway, N18, South of C'Galway)

I'm assuming it's so they don't run into the McMansions in Cinniska, there's been more built since the aerial photo form 2005
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,537906,733804,6,0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yeah blue was the route chosen - but N17 traffic is mainline at the southern end (ie: no roundabout).

• Advertisement
Advertisement