Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old sweet shop near Croke park

Options
  • 07-08-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭

Hi folks this might be a long shot but maybe someone can help me, found out during the week that my great great grandfather had 2 half sister who ran a sweet shop near Croke park in the 1920-1950's ish, they were 2 single women by the name of hughes and apparently the shop was well know in the area,

does anyone remember hearing parents/grandparents talking about it
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a long shot, but the electoral roll of 1938 shows a Hughes family living at 28 Jones' road, where it joins Russell avenue, directly across the road from the Hogan stand entrance. I remember it being a sweet shop/newsagents in the 70s/early 80s. It's now derelict beside a car parts shop.
    It may be the one you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Op there was a sweet shop around 5/6 doors down from GIlls on the north circular road run by two old ladies in the 1980s. I remember the shop being called Cals. If you look on steetview it's painted White with a red door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

spurious wrote: »
    It's a long shot, but the electoral roll of 1938 shows a Hughes family living at 28 Jones' road, where it joins Russell avenue, directly across the road from the Hogan stand entrance. I remember it being a sweet shop/newsagents in the 70s/early 80s. It's now derelict beside a car parts shop.
    It may be the one you mean.
    thanks will look into that
    Belfunk wrote: »
    Op there was a sweet shop around 5/6 doors down from GIlls on the north circular road run by two old ladies in the 1980s. I remember the shop being called Cals. If you look on steetview it's painted White with a red door.
    will look into that too

thanks guys, as i said only found out about it recently so not even sure when the 2 sister would have started the shop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

My grandparents had a little shop on St. James' Avenue in the shadow of Croke Park....?

My grandparents had a little shop on St. James' Avenue in the shadow of Croke Park....?

My 2 relatives never married as far as we know Econoline but thats for the info, im not really familiar with the streets and roads around Croke Park

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

There's a lady lives on my road here who's 100. Born in 1910 she was. She'd be the lady to ask. :)

There's a lady lives on my road here who's 100. Born in 1910 she was. She'd be the lady to ask. :)

she would indeedy, when i posted this thread didnt think id get answers so quick, boardies are a very helpful bunch of people:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My dad grew up in the Ballybough area in the 50s and 60s, I'll ask him if he knows it next time I see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is that shop still in the family? There is a tiny shop still there

There is an even smaller shop right across from Croke Park Villas around the corner, big metal door and wire mesh so it's locked up tight. Looks pretty uninviting realy.

mikemac wrote: »
    Is that shop still in the family? There is a tiny shop still there

There is an even smaller shop right across from Croke Park Villas around the corner, big metal door and wire mesh so it's locked up tight. Looks pretty uninviting realy.

not as far as I know the 2 sisters never married so that family branch died out with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Tcmouse

There was a Hughes shop in the area Clonliffe Road & Georges Ave.I do believe

Tcmouse wrote: »
    There was a Hughes shop in the area Clonliffe Road & Georges Ave.I do believe

thanks TC, ill look into that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 damat

Hi folks this might be a long shot but maybe someone can help me, found out during the week that my great great grandfather had 2 half sister who ran a sweet shop near Croke park in the 1920-1950's ish, they were 2 single women by the name of hughes and apparently the shop was well know in the area,

does anyone remember hearing parents/grandparents talking about it
    thanks

hi I just saw your post now. What were your aunts names because I have two aunts the name of Hughes from this area, maybe we're related.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Anybody remember Fanny Hutton's shop beside O'Connells School?

Had a display of sweets in the window that were there so long they'd all turned white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fishplate7

Hi

I am new to Boards but its better late than ever to respond!

Yes, I remember Hughes shop on the corner of Jones Road and Russell Avenue. I grew up on Clonliffe Road in the 60's/70's and remember at least one of the ladies who was very kind and always smiled. It was like a general newspaper/cornershop store but I don't ever remember it being full with stock for sale! It was bright and airy and cream in colour internally! As best I remember the GAA bought/leased it for use as a ticket distribution centre for matches, and opens on match days. As far as I know they still do! They might be able to give you some information on it.

See attached. This is the shop currently from Google:

I also remember Fanny Huttons down the laneway! I went O'Connell School and I remember the display of sweets and the sale of individual cigarettes for a penny I think!

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tcmouse

This is the shop I had in mind
    Hughes shop Clonliffe road.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fishplate7 wrote: »
    Yes, I remember Hughes shop on the corner of Jones Road and Russell Avenue. I grew up on Clonliffe Road in the 60's/70's and remember at least one of the ladies who was very kind and always smiled. It was like a general newspaper/cornershop store but I don't ever remember it being full with stock for sale! It was bright and airy and cream in colour internally! As best I remember the GAA bought/leased it for use as a ticket distribution centre for matches, and opens on match days. As far as I know they still do! They might be able to give you some information on it.

I remember the shop at the Jones Rd/Russell Ave intersection. It was just in front of where the entrance to the Hogan Stand is now, the one that the press/VIPs enter. I remember my older brother buying me a chocolate bar in there before the 1983 All Ireland final, but I was too excited to eat it. I remember it as being very small and dark. I don't know if the GAA ever used it as a ticket office. They may have in the past, but they don't now. The one that they have now is on the North Circular Road, just across the road from Gills Pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

frankosw wrote: »
    Anybody remember Fanny Hutton's shop beside O'Connells School?

Had a display of sweets in the window that were there so long they'd all turned white.

down the richmond cottages :)

my gran and grandad lives accross the way , my mam and all my uncles use to always be in misses huttons, she use to give me sweats when i was young too , nice woman

what about the sweat shop that use to be beside o'connells school too, its now a light and electrical suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NorthsideDublin

Hi I just found your thread. THe shop is still there and the lady owner is Fanny Hutton and she celebrates 100 years of age this Wednesday 16th of August. She lives in a nearby nursing home. I can put you in touch with her carer if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Terry McLaughlin

Hi everybody that has been seeking information regarding the little sweet shop owned by the Hughes family on Jones Road. I have just come across the Boards.ie website and know that requests for information stretch back a number of years.

However as a child I regularly visited the shop as it belonged to my Great Grandfather. The two old ladies that ran the business were my great aunts Maisie and Imelda Hughes. They were extremely well known in GAA circles as the shop was an unofficial ticket collection office for people from all over Ireland when it came to big match days. The garage beside the shop also originally belonged to the Hughes family.

My late mother Louise Hughes remembers being able to get into Croke Park with her brother Paddy during the building of the old Hogan Stand which was directly opposite the family shop. My mother and her siblings Paddy, Mona and Tony Hughes made the weekly Jones Road pilgrimage every Sunday firstly from Gordon Street and then from 39 Landsdowne Park.

One of my most vivid memories is the the tinkle of the bell handle as the door opened to an interior that was simple and functional. The counter flap opened to allow us as children into the dining room/kitchen where there always seemed to be a big fire on the go.

Both Maisie and Imelda Hughes were very musical and were always smiling and humming as they went about their business.

In later years after my family moved to Northern Ireland I still kept in touch with the shop in my role as a working journalist covering games at Croke Park. Indeed just last weekend, now long retired, I was able to watch the National League finals with my own son and two grandsons after getting a nostalgia filled photograph outside the now derelict old sweet shop which still holds so many family memories

Maybe these memories however might help others that may still be trying to piece together parts of the jigsaw that is part of a rapidly disappearing Dublin.

Terry McLaughlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Photobox

I remember that shop and the two sisters, I remember the counter was very tall, I was only small myself though, this would have been the mid seventies, we had a relative living on Jones road and used to visit , use to go in there to get sweets, my relative moved a few years later so never went back to the shop, they were lovely warm people the two sisters and I remember how friendly they were. Happy memories, sorry I have no more information but it was nice to see it being mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭leath_dub

There was a shop of that name run by the two sisters on Jones' Road, beside where the hotel now is. I believe the GAA bought the building after they passed away. They used it as a ticket office for a while.

Advertisement