Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are some small dogs so angry

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

DBB wrote: »
    There's no doubt that the way a dog is kept has a big effect on his behaviour, but it's a tad sweeping to suggest they all need to live outside in packs. Some parents make nut-jobs of their children too, often for the same reasons some owners make nut-jobs of their dogs, but I don't hear anyone advocating shoving kids outside?
    Indeed, whilst I'm not aware of Shannon having any expertise in animal behaviour, I do know many fully qualified and renowned dog behaviourists who would also disagree with the advice to leave the dog outside with lots of other dogs.
    Dogs just don't work like that, and such advice is very outdated and based on spurious ideologies.
    Which is perhaps why your use of his advice jars somewhat.

I never suggested they need to live outside in packs that is not realistic anyhow but dogs are varied in temperament and some dogs need a correct environment and others are bred as neurotic by nature and can't be helped.Dog are happy indoors too and bond well with their owners.According to shannon the dog thinks the owner is another dog of a strange shape.I don't know if the interview is archived and accessible.I enjoyed it ..good.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I think a lot of the problems small dogs have is down to lack of exercise - most people see a big dog and presume they need to be walked daily to get rid of excess energy but with small dogs they think a run around the garden is enough since they are small. I know a friend of mine thinks that throwing a ball to her dog in the back garden for 30 mins is all the exercise the dog needs :confused: Also with small dogs they seem to be allowed ''get' away with bad behaviour that a big dog would not - if a small dog growls the behaviour is ignored but a larger dog will be pulled back and disciplined. I agree some dogs seem to be more 'snappy' but surely they need more control and not less just because they are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

small dogs are more likley to bark at other dogs than large dogs are.is because they are scared,you can tell by the bark of a dog just what he is telling you,it may be its saying i am here,or dont come any closer, i am not happy with you,i am warning you,i can see you,next time a dog barks,just listen and you can guess just what he is saying,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

paddyandy wrote: »
    I never suggested they need to live outside in packs that is not realistic anyhow but dogs are varied in temperament and some dogs need a correct environment and others are bred as neurotic by nature and can't be helped.Dog are happy indoors too and bond well with their owners.According to shannon the dog thinks the owner is another dog of a strange shape.I don't know if the interview is archived and accessible.I enjoyed it ..good.

Thats actually a very old fashioned view - usually used by people who believe in dominating their dogs, cos thats what the alpha dog would do. My dogs know I'm not a dog, of any shape;):D

Advertisement