Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just looking for some input

Options
  • 05-08-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey guys,

I've recently started a exercise/diet shake-up (for probably the hundredth time). This one, by some miracle, seems to be going well. I'd really appreciate it if some of you guys could give me any tips on how to improve or tweak my program. My stats are

24 year old guy
    5' 8"
    180 pounds (how? HOW?!)

Cardio
    I try to mix up my exercise a good bit. Cardio involves

3 mile runs
    3 mile walks
    5-8 mile cycles
    50+ mile cycles occasionally

I try to do the first three around 5-7 times a week, with a big cycle every week or two. Before anyone suggests swimming I should admit that I can't swim to save my life, or anyone else's for that matter. My diet is alright, I'm sticking to lean proteins like turkey mince and salmon fillets. I'm trying to avoid carbs, though one problems I'm finding is that after weights I'm not sure what carbs to eat to replenish the ol' glycogen. I also drink whey protein shakes while doing weights. Also, when eating at work and when out with friends I find it hard to keep it healthy.

Weights
    I have two weights programs that I try to do 3-4 times a week. I'm not actually in a gym, I do weights at home with a dumbbell set. My programs are:

1st Routine: Biceps and Chest
    1/2 twist curls (12x10kg, 10x12.5kg, 8x15kg)
    Hammer curls (12x10kg, 10x12.5kg, 8x15kg)
    Elastic cable curls (to burnout)

Flat flies (12x10kg, 10x12.5kg, 8x15kg)
    Dumbbell press (12x12.5kg, 10x15kg, 8x17.5kg)
    overhead chest extension (12x15kg, 10x17.5kg, 8x20kg)

I find it hard to burn out my chest, though I'm pretty happy with my bicep routine.

2nd Routine: Triceps and Shoulders
    Lateral raises (12x8kg, 10x10kg, 8x12.5kg)
    Seated shoulder press (12x10kg, 10x12.5kg, 8x15kg)
    Shrugs (12x20kg, 10x22.5kg, 8x25kg)

Seated one-handed tricep extension (12x8kg, 10x10kg, 8x12.5kg)
    Seated two-handed tricep extension (12x15kg, 10x17.5kg, 8x20kg)
    Flat tricep extension (12x15kg, 10x17.5kg, 8x20kg)

I'm not very happy with my tricep workout, I can't seem to find any effective exercises. Also, I find it hard to burn out my shoulders with shrugs.

I'm not too pushed about doing weight exercises for my legs, I have pretty strong legs already.

Finally, I try to do 50 sit ups and back extensions 5 times a week. I'm really just looking to get fit, I would most like to get more muscular as I enjoy dong the weights. I just want to feel more healthy in general, I've put on two stone over the last two years and I'm looking forward to just feeling more fit and energetic.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me, any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

The most noticeable thing is you're neglecting your back, shrugs aside (these work your traps, not your shoulders).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fauntleroy

Thanks for the reply. I tend to avoid working my back only because my mother has problem with the nerves in her back and neck being quite damaged so I'm worried about going there. Also, I find those exercises quite boring. Thanks for the heads up on the shrugs, I've switched to upright rows.

Advertisement