Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a gym routine to lose weight

Options
  • 05-08-2011 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hi all,
    ive joined northwood gym last week in santry, i am planning to go 3-4 times a week to lose a couple of stone but the problem is im at a loss as to how much cardio and weights i am meant to be doing, the plans on the web are all conflicting ,
    i would be so grateful if anyone could help me out on this one :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

dizzyblond wrote: »
    hi all,
    ive joined northwood gym last week in santry, i am planning to go 3-4 times a week to lose a couple of stone but the problem is im at a loss as to how much cardio and weights i am meant to be doing, the plans on the web are all conflicting ,
    i would be so grateful if anyone could help me out on this one :)

you should post up your current stats and diet too!

Try not to get too hung up the cardio / weights split or what cardio machines or levels your doing - buy a heart rate monitor and work hard for the time your in the gym. Id say 40 min cardio and 25 weights (stick to compound lifts, but no harm to start off with machine weights, especialy for legs).. others may not agree with that split but IMO if your going to be hitting the gym a max of 4 times a week id go with that. If you were going every day the advice would be slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dizzyblond

corkcomp wrote: »
    you should post up your current stats and diet too!

i would be mortified im only starting out, i know weights are important for fat loss its just the whole heavy weight low reps or light weight higher reps that get me...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

dont worry no one here will judge (unless you dont keep up the gym routine of course:p) I guess what im trying to say is that diet is as important as exercise and based on experience there is a direct link between how much exercise you do vs how clean your diet needs to be

well my diet it fairly good now(in the last week like) lean protien veg lowerd carbs and sugar good fats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dizzyblond wrote: »
    i would be mortified im only starting out, i know weights are important for fat loss its just the whole heavy weight low reps or light weight higher reps that get me...

Yeah that doesn't matter at all. People do higher reps out of the mistake belief that it'll burn more calories. The difference between pure kcal burn on high reps and low reps is pretty insignificant. That being said, lower reps (6-12) are better for building muscle, so it's a better range to work in.

If you want to lose weight, post your diet. That's where the battle will be won and lost. No one's going to judge you. Hell we don't even know who you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Weights have to be challenging. Do more sets if you want more repetition. Stick with compound movements. Up your cardio on non-weight training days. Exercise bikes make long cardio sessions easy. You don't need great exertion just 45mins plus sessions.

Diet and distractions from food.

thanks guys :D
    im ready to take this by the horns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I know exactly how you feel. I joined a gym last week. I have lost loads of weight in the past few months through diet alone. My fitness levels are a disaster. I think even the trainer in the gym was shocked by my being out of breath after 5 mins on the bike! BUT he was great and told me told me to take week 1 at my pace. 5 to 7 mins on everything and repeat as often as I can. He thought that I might just pack it in (or die!) if I followed a rigid program. I am meeting him tomorrow morning to do an intro to weights and to sort some kind of a program based on the last week- the machines I find easier, the levels and speeds I was averaging etc. I was a bit peeved initially and wasnt sure if I was being fobbed off but I totally see his point a week in. I have pushed myself but I havent felt the urge to run (or hobble) away! Maybe give it a week to get used to it and ask the staff to help with a program to suit your goals? Good luck!

im exactly the same as you then i lost 2 stone and the only excerise i got was walking to my car :( ... i was just getting a feel of the gym last week i felt very intimidated as im quite shy, but now im getting down to it ... let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

With a name like dizzyblond I'm guessing your female, you might be interested in reading this thread

• Advertisement

thanks orla ...im reading it now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ONE DIP

Hi Dizzyblonde , have a diet that i can PM you if you like , cant post it up here because the PT i got it from will not be happy if i give it out to everybody , its strict enough but not too hard to stick to ,

ONE DIP wrote: »
    Hi Dizzyblonde , have a diet that i can PM you if you like , cant post it up here because the PT i got it from will not be happy if i give it out to everybody , its strict enough but not too hard to stick to ,
    oh yeah ....that would be excellent thanks :)

Advertisement