Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Am I the only one feeling totally out of control of what happens in this game? I haven't started My Player mode yet, have been trying to get to grips with the mechanics in exhibition matches and online - and I have a lot of complaints about how this plays as a team game.

When I first played I thought the AI defending had improved - but it hasn't. If you're defending someone in the post, regardless of what you set in the defensive settings menu, some idiotic teammate AI means you always get help defense. The effect is that it leaves someone completely free outside, and I'm seeing a lot of stupid mid-range and three point shots being handed to other team.

On defense again, the point guard's first step is lethal. It's suicide to play tight on-ball if you're close to mid-range because if you edge the left stick to step back if the opponent tries to go past you then you'll go to far, and possibly face the wrong way, holding L2 means you'll go too slow unless you've moving well before your opponent decides what to do, and while holding L2 and R2 for that crab tracking stance is probably the best thing for retreating and to keep facing the right way, it doesn't feel smooth enough.

And if you're not playing tight on ball, then even when walking normally player is moving too little or not enough to be exactly where I want him to be.

If I don't have a ball in my hand, my mobility should be better than when I do - and it doesn't feel like this is the case.

I like that throwing up a block takes much longer to recover from - I wasn't a fan of the spam blocks in 2k11 - but they weren't that effective against a player who could wait a half-second. But in 2k12 I'm watching my player throw up blocks after the ball has gone, the start-up animation doesn't initiate fast enough. The answer to this is not hitting the block button earlier, because you're going to be totally exposed to someone who just pump fakes first every time, and shoots when you can't recover.

I think hands up defence is the way to go, but if that's the case the controls would be better if hands-up was on the steal button and put steal on the right stick.

Also, online is horrible. Not being able to pick who you play based on a ping meter when there was one last year annoys me. But even in low latency games I've played with players in Ireland I have been plagued by lag.

There are a lot of decisions in how the game has changed from last year that I agree with, I'm glad the game has moved away from stupidly running at the basket. But I didn't think there was a problem with the block system on contested jump shots or on point guards playing a sensible distance from their matchup.

Maybe it'll click with me, but right now when I play I know what I want to do, I was led to believe I knew how to do it - and it is not coming together.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agree with ya Raze. I found myself trying different camera angles to help my defense as I'm getting the same problems on D. I'f i'm guarding the PG, one wrong flick of the right stick and my player goes off into an awkard animation and the PG gets an easy drive to the basket. Playing tight D turns the player into a snail. Very true how you have better control when you have the ball.

Gonna finish the training camp to see if it gives any hints on defense

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Playing tight D turns the player into a snail.

In 2k11 I used L2 a lot for 'intense D', and I guess they've put the speed penalty in there to prevent its abuse. Just tapping L2 at the right time will knock the ball away if the other guy bumps you while dribbling too quickly/loosely, and it can assist with interceptions. For me it's a hard habit to break to let up on using the button. Getting there though. I can move grand when nothing is happening, but when someone starts to run by me suddenly is feels like I'm lunging into the space and tracking the run is tricky.

I think each game I get a little bit more in control of what I want to do. I mean, it was just silly in last years game that the ball was connected to you at all times - and people were always charging around court and never worrying about the ball getting loose. So I'm glad ball control is a bit of an issue, and guards shouldn't get it too easy to steal.

But my control issue affects my game when I try to keep with the ball handler under the screen. I'm getting better at using the help defender to get the block on the shot, but I'd much rather if my PG could just stay with the man.

For the time being I'm setting all double teams to never in defensive settings, and all players to go under the screen with no hedge. Games against the AI have been a bit more manageable. CPU is still hitting threes, some really unlikely ones too, but the percentage is dropping since the marker hasn't left his man all alone.

2k11 broke my heart too when I started playing it, I think it could take me another week to get to grips with this year's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think I'll reserve judgement until after the first patch, the game always becomes much smoother and user friendly after that, implementing the changes users want.

Ya defending the PG is a nightmare, my guy is so slow and just doesn't go where I want him to go. It's one thing making it a bit harder than last year but its not fair that thee AI is so quick. Hoping when I get my stats up, it will be a bit easier.

• Advertisement

Oh ya and whats the Shot Qualitty about? I havve feedback on and it shows as green when I leave go of the ball just right but my quality says its a D- shot :confused:

Shot quality is based on more than just shot stick timing. You need to make space for the shot, or take a shot that moves you into space. I haven't worked out if it's like 2k11, but it's possible that a later release has more chance of scoring if you are shooting over a block. The longer you shoot for the more follow through, and thus the shot falls shorter. Your player will always try to shoot over a block, and with perfect timing a contested shot will go higher, and a later release will actually be beneficial.

Also, you can make space and miss a perfectly timed shot, but still be graded A+ on it because it had a good percentage chance.

Ya figured that might be it. Man this game is fuking frustrating!!!

My guy moves with the grace of Christy Brown. I'll icon pass to a wide open guy but that sets off an animation where the passee runs behind a defender and then my guy passes it obviously turning it over. I'll be defending the PG and accidentally graze of another player and go into a big stumbling animation. The AI steps out of bounds at least 3 times a game. I miss wide open layups even though my layup skill is 80. Far too many animations where my guy gets caught up on the court and oh ya, every game so far, one of my own team mates runs across me leading to me dribbling the ball off his leg and losing it. I'm finding it impossible to get to B rating and its these glitches that send my grade plummeting.

Don't get me wrong, its still a great game but these little things build up in a game and make me want to hurl the joypad at the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Is this easy to find in the likes of Game/Gamestop? How much ?

HMV in crescent Limerick had 3 copies last friday. I'd say once the 1st batch of copies sell out in shops, it will be hard to get a hold of.

Good thread here with tips for My player this year

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/627462-nba-2k12/60551472

• Advertisement

If anybody is trying to play this game online - one thing to note is that the game will disconnect if you change any defensive settings on the loading screen menu. You will get into the game, but at some stage in the first or second quarter the game will throw you back to the menus and report a network error.

In order to get an online game to work all players in the game need to leave the quick settings alone until the game has fully loaded, then you can make all the changes you want in the game menus after you can see players on the court.

In other news online play is worthy of Sisyphus, so even if it doesn't work you're not missing much.

Chris Smoove said My PLayer gets better once you get your attributes up. He said he is finally able to defend people after about 13 games.

Well finding my rhythm now. I followed gamefaqs advie and changed my release to 73 and jump shot to 24. I went from 30% FG to 78% Have my mid range at 75 now, making most mid shots i take. I seem to be staying with the PG a bit better and playing pretty good. The problems come from the glitches. Stupid turnovers, AI impossiblle shots dropping and my AI with rediculous double teaming. Most of the time it looks like we aren't even defending sometimes, just random running around.

Can I turn off AI double teaming?

I don't know about My Player mode, but if you check the pause menu and it lets you go into Defensive Settings then you can give instructions on double teams. The game seems to default to auto on every player, it plays a lot better with all doubles set to never. You can go overboard and set on ball and off ball defence to play tight or deny ball, but that has ups and downs depending on your style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My guy stats arent great at all and i be getting 3 pointers all night long , i got drafted with phili 76ers , bout near the end of the season with adverge of 25 points and a rating of B- i decided today to trade in and hopefully join boston celtics , and now my dream team is a reality , much better than the sixers who just kept losing all the time , this is my first nba2k game and its the best sports game i ever played since this is football 2004 on the ps2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,074 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

anyone who has 2k11 in Dublin, CEX are giving €20 cash for it.

F*ck thi f*cking game!!!! Its so good but so broken! I only play My Player and it's jut rage-a-rific! I was on a fast break, 2 on 1. The defender comes to me. I give the oop pass and my teammate slams it down and starts swinging off the basket, was class!. I get a 'bad pass' rating that cuts my bar in half and I don't get an assist. It takes me so long to get to a A rating only for 2 cheesy turnovers to take it all away. Constant steals and turnovers from both AI on my team and opponents team. I had a look at the sliders but not sure which to use to turn off double team and other broken parts, I don't wanna make them even worse. Just thinking about trading this now as I usually end a gaming session in a good mood but this just inflicts rage.

Such a pity

Honestly I don't find it any diff' then 2011, bad passes will be intercepted, not running plays right means your AI players will usually miss.

The only difference I'm finding from 2011 is that even when I'm getting a free look from medium range, (hitting it on green) my shots are still missing, player is currently 73(U)-73(C)-81(Medium) which is way more than 2011 when I used to be sinking shot after shot.

Apart from that I haven't noticed any game-breaking problems :confused:

Going by the ''heating up'' in game challenge(make your first two shots) it seems that making those first two (any way) is the only way to get your player into a groove.

I also can't find out what the icons mean beside your name..... there's a 3 and fire which explain themselves, then one that looks like a dunk/lay up and my player always gets a G beside his name..... what the fudge is that?.... same as the lay up/dunk one, does it mean he's on a bad run or good?!.... fairly annoying they add these things and don't explain them, I've checked the online manual.

The training mode was a let down, having to do them all in one go, and not being able to pick through them after as you please, should be able to pick out whatever one I want.

I thought the G symbol was the same as last year's Gatorade logo - ie your player's stamina has been drained and maybe he needs to be benched?

I have given up on this title for the time being - the patch would want to work miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Liam O wrote: »
    anyone who has 2k11 in Dublin, CEX are giving €20 cash for it.

And me having only paid €18.99 in the first place!

Brilliant.

• Advertisement

After a few days away from this I tried it again today - but decided to download adjustments to the game sliders from 2k share (in the Features menu). I just browsed for file with the most downloads.

The two games I've played have been a lot more fun, and a lot more like a representation of professional athletes. Gone are the junk threes, the unhelpful help defence, defensive movement doesn't feel like swimming, and you don't have to be a lucky psychic to block effectively.

Your mileage may vary, and these settings probably won't affect online play, but worth a look if you're frustrated with the out-of-the-box experience with 2k12.

Raze can you download them for ps3 as well? I rage quit a while a go when i spun past a defender and passed to an open man and I lost half my grade for 'losing the ball' ??? Those sliders sound like they make a good difference

Yeah, I'm on PS3. You'll be able to check them out.

In the main menu go into Features, then 2k Share. Once in there press L1 and scroll through to game sliders, use L2/R2 to sort by most downloads.

After you get the file you'll have to load the sliders in the main menu - so before you do that you can save your current settings.

Excellent thanks man, will try that later!

The sliders looked good and I do see a bit of difference (even though Dallas scored 4 3pters with their first 4 shots!) and my grade is staying up but its just not fun to play with so many glitches going on around me, I feel like i'm playing against the AI team and 2K at the same time. I'm gonna give up on this. Roll on Friday for Batman, then ass creed revelations and saints row 3. Hopefully some patch will be released for this by then, if not, its getting traded.

2k will patch it in the near future - the patch that already came for PS3 was in the pipeline from before launch so didn't contain gameplay fixes.

I know what you mean though. It often feels like your teammates will sabotage your efforts. I feel a lot more in control with the slider adjustments - less like playing with loaded dice.

Also, the AI style of play has changed for me. I'm seeing it use screens a lot less since I can manoeuvre around them now, and man to man defence is working so the AI needs to do a lot more to work an open shot, and defence through contact is finally possible.

It's a shame it's not as much fun as it should be by default. Somewhere in there is an excellent game, but surrounded by preposterous defects.

Getting really disheartened with the MP mode :mad:

I'm getting no more than 6-8 points a game, and with so few assists, rebounds... I'm playing for nothing really.

My player just misses time after time, in 2k11 I would be getting 20 odd a game, playing much the same as I am now, getting free for shots from Medium range.
    In 2k12 my first 1 or 2 always go in then I miss and I barely score for the rest of the game even though I'm getting free and hitting green.

In my last game he even missed two uncontested lay ups, one from a breakaway, it's just taking the piss, if I can't take a jump shot or a free lay up what am I supposed to do?.

He's at 82 now for mid-range so there's no reason why he should be missing so much when I'm not under pressure.

Also why did they take away the option of jump shot feedback online?.... how am I supposed to learn the timing of each players shot? :mad: ...
    I admire the realism of the jumpshots but it's pretty annoying that each player has different timing, it makes experimentation a slog and means sticking with one team is preferential.
    FIFA gets by just fine with one kicking animation, they could at least limit it instead of having 40+.

Can't say I've been having any buggy probs with the MP though in terms of getting screwed, just the shooting is killing me and meaning I haven't had one enjoyable game so far, and I usually only play 1/2 a session.

Ronnie 2k said on Twitter earlier that they're taking suggestions for gameplay fixes to be made in the patch. The hashtag is #NBA2K12Patch if you want to look at what people have suggested so far.

Since launch 2k have said nothing to recognise the game's shortcomings, just pointed to high review scores, so opening themselves to suggestions is something positive. Too little, but not too late.

A lot are looking for shot feedback online, as well as an end to the rain of threes.

To update what I posted about custom game sliders - I didn't realise that it doesn't effect My Player mode (probably because it used to be an online mode). You can only use default or simulation sliders currently in that. Custom sliders will only effect exhibition matches, playoffs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Got this game today..Is it any good. Cant play until Christmas Day. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

It's a really good basketball game. It's different from last year's 2k11 - it's less arcadey and it tries to be more of a simulation - but it's worth spending the time to get to know the ins and outs of all you can do.

When it first came out there were a few problems that drove people up the wall, with passing and AI shooting being undefendable - but patches for it have made it much better. And it will be fully updated throughout the season - so players and teams will be accurate, and in the game players abilities will be adjusted based on how they're doing in the real life league/playoffs.

Also, the presentation is as good as previous years - the visuals and the commentary really put other games like FIFA/Pro Evo to shame.

Advertisement