Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork "A Nuclear Free Zone"

Options
  • 04-08-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

KZsn0.jpg

There's a sign on the way into Cork from the N25 with a dove on it that idiotically declares Cork to be a "Nuclear Free Zone." Does this sign drive anyone else mad? Nuclear free? This is wrong in so many ways.

Nuclear is not a noun. This sign makes as much sense as calling Cork a "Soft Free Zone." Nuclear what? Nuclear housing, nuclear families?

Well I'm pretty sure they meant nuclear in the context of atomic nuclei, which is funny because I don't think Cork is made of a cloud of electrons.

But of course nuclear and radioactive mean the same thing right (tip: they don't) so what they mean is there are no radioactive materials in Cork. Well it's good to know that Cork has no smoke detectors or radiotherapy clinics.

But what they actually mean is of course there is no nuclear power in the city (because nuclear power is the devil) which is a load of rubbish as we import electricity from the UK and the UK, including that generated by nuclear power plants.

And there's that matter of the nuclear reactor in UCC*...

So does this sign bug anyone else?

*article from 2003

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I think it was specifically nuclear bombs. Being nucular free means nobody can drop nucular bombs on you, see.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I was always pretty sure it was to do with nuclear powered vessels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Tazzle wrote: »
    I was always pretty sure it was to do with nuclear powered vessels.

Ignoring completely the fact that they would nave no interest, or room, to visit...

A russian Icebreaker?
    A dozen aircraft carriers?
    Any nuc sub?

Its like a sign saying "keep off the grass" on a concrete paved area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

how long is that sign there? it seems a bit random:confused:
    there is radiation everywhere, i can only assume if refers to some sort of nuclear waste, i dont think ireland have the funds to built a nuclear power plant,
    on a side note, i saw people in dublin in 1996 with signs saying "no nuclear bomb in dublin bay" during the visit of the aircraft carrier jfk,

its not even nuclear powered:eek:

from a quick google a nuclear power plant costs between 1.5-2 billion!!

Is that the one on the Carrigrohane Straight? I don't see how it could annoy anyone tbh, who gives a feck if Nuclear is not a noun :rolleyes:

FYI....

http://indigo.ie/~goodwill/icnd/zones.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'm sure Al-Qaeda could take those uranium rods off UCC for a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The worst part of all this, Nuclear power is actually really safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bladebrew wrote: »
    on a side note, i saw people in dublin in 1996 with signs saying "no nuclear bomb in dublin bay" during the visit of the aircraft carrier jfk,

its not even nuclear powered:eek:
    You do realise that conventionally powered aircraft carriers can and did carry nuclear bombs and that nuclear powered aircraft carriers can and did carry conventional bombs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Cork guitarist

Isn't there a nuclear waste dump in Bottlehill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

There's many more important issues to worry about in Cork than some stupid sign.
    For example, did you know that SMA sponsor 'Movies for Mums' in Mahon Point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The worst part of all this, Nuclear power is actually really safe.

Try telling that to the residents of fukashima.

I for one would not like to see nuclear power in Ireland. Nothing to do with it being safe or not... Just wouldn't trust the government to run it right or any semi state body.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ludo wrote: »
    Try telling that to the residents of fukashima.

I for one would not like to see nuclear power in Ireland. Nothing to do with it being safe or not... Just wouldn't trust the government to run it right or any semi state body.

To be fair, nothing is really safe when a giant freaking tidalwave and earthquake destroy half the country. However I do agree on the second point, I wouldn't trust the Irish Government to run a Nuclear Power station here either.

As for the sign, it's been there for freaking years now.

All it basically means is that we don't use Nuclear Power, no Nuclear vessels are here and so on.

Stop being pedantic OP :P

What have the Society of African Missions got to do with mothers in Mahon? Is there more scandal to break? Aren't they're on the Blackrock Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

What have the Society of African Missions got to do with mothers in Mahon? Is there more scandal to break? Aren't they're on the Blackrock Road?

:D Not sure if you're joking or not but that made me laugh.

This is what I was on about & I was joking:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056340450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Nuclear free? BLAH!

They clearly haven't seen the Hydrogen bomb I have in my shed.

OK, I was only joking, glad you got a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

CorkMan wrote: »
    Nuclear free? BLAH!

They clearly haven't seen the Hydrogen bomb I have in my shed.

They havn't seen my shed either. Its so big it needs it needs its own nuclear power plant which is conveniently located in the basement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that conventionally powered aircraft carriers can and did carry nuclear bombs and that nuclear powered aircraft carriers can and did carry conventional bombs?

i didnt think of it at the time, i was 12:)

there is no proof the us carried nuclear bombs on aircraft carriers, they wont confirm or deny it!
    they also let 10,000 members of the public onboard while they were in dublin,
    seems unlikely they would let that many people onboard when they had a nuclear bomb below the deck,

i am assuming they wouldnt let a nuclear powered ship/sub into cork harbour, apart from that nuclear free zone makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Stop being pedantic OP :P
    NEVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Nucular... It's pronounced Nucular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Is this sign still in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes (AFAIK)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk