Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breast feeding mothers giving out !

Options
  • 27-07-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

The cinema in Mahon point, cork have screenings for mothers who can take their babies/toddlers etc to see a film, instead of being couped up at home. good for the mothers to get out and well done to mahon for doing it. i think other cinema's do it. they call it the big "scream"
    However "some" of the breast feeding mothers have complained as a Formula manufacturer sponsors it by what way they sponsor it i'm not sure but the following was issued to the mailing list of people who subscribe to the "big scream".
    Would they not just shut up and ignore the formula sponsorship !! do they not realise some mothers just cannot breast feed, either due to medical conditions/physical conditions etc......good god ..........rant over !

Hi everyone,

A number of patrons have contacted us with concerns regarding SMA's sponsorship of the Movies 4 Mums screenings, because they are a formula manufacturer. A small number of patrons feel this is off putting for some mums who breast feed.

We would like to re-assure everyone SMA fully support breastfeeding and formula feeding, and their sponsorship of these screenings is not just about promoting formula. The experts SMA have at these screenings will be there to provide all inclusive advice, giving advice on breastfeeding, formula feeding and any other nutritional advice you may need.

Indeed, to highlight SMA's support for breastfeeding, you will find attached an extract from a manual which was handed out free of charge to the patrons who attended the Movies 4 Mum screening this morning. You will see that breastfeeding is clearly encouraged by SMA as the first half of the manual is about breastfeeding, indeed the first section is titled 'Breast is Best'.
    You will also find attached a leaflet specifically about breastfeeding which was handed out this morning aswell.

I again re-assure you all that both Omniplex and SMA are in full support of every woman's right to choose how they wish to feed their babies, and the intention of this sponsorship is to enhance the experience of those in attendance by providing support and nutritional advice to all of our patrons, whatever their choice in this regard may be.

For any of you who are still concerned that formula feeding is being prioritised with this sponsorship, I would encourage you to attend a screening and speak with the nutritionist so you can see what is involved. If you still have concerns at that stage please don't hesitate to bring them to our attention.

Thank you for your continued support and as always all comments and suggestions are very welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No. I think I'm with the natural mum's in this case, my wife had five natural children and I'm 55.

BUT: At our second child my wife was given some drying up drug from the nurses, and given SMA, much to my disgust but I did not have a say in it, my wife did not know any better, it was the 'old' Erinville.

Mahon Point Cinema, don't have a good reputation, do they? At the best of times, let alone this initiative, which I know NOTHING about.

But if a nurse will give out Mastitis treatment routinely, what will a commercial element do?

I'd be disturbed too. tbh. The incidence of medical non feeding is very rare, there is a proportion of phycologicol problems that are not medically treatable. And in fact those affected might benefit from being in the company of other breast feeding women.

Breast is best, and I know that puts even more pressure on those who cannot breastfeed through a variety of stigma and no medical condition.

A medical condition would have been diagnosed from quite early in the majority of situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

scuby wrote: »
    The cinema in Mahon point, cork have screenings for mothers who can take their babies/toddlers etc to see a film, instead of being couped up at home. good for the mothers to get out and well done to mahon for doing it. i think other cinema's do it. they call it the big "scream"
    However "some" of the breast feeding mothers have complained as a Formula manufacturer sponsors it by what way they sponsor it i'm not sure but the following was issued to the mailing list of people who subscribe to the "big scream".
    Would they not just shut up and ignore the formula sponsorship !! do they not realise some mothers just cannot breast feed, either due to medical conditions/physical conditions etc......good god ..........rant over !
    holy god are people never happy ??So what if it is sponcered by a formula who really cares ??By the time you get to be able to bring your baby to the cinema your well using formula or whatever. It wont make you not breast feed!! I for one would have loved to breast feed but unfortunatly i was not able to as my lovley mam was dying and i felt that at that particular time it was more important for me to be able to just leave my new baby with my hubby withpout having to worry about expressing etc, BTW my mam passed away when my baby was 3 weeks old and on hindsight i do not regret the decision I made !! Everyone should do what suits them , my child never suffered from not being breast fed and touch wood is never sick has been 3 years since she has seen a doctor, Women should not feel mpressured to to breast feed !!!! a contented mother gives you a contented baby , keep going to the cinema ladies and be glad its free or subsidised !!!! FECK the begrudgers!!!

Hi everyone,

A number of patrons have contacted us with concerns regarding SMA's sponsorship of the Movies 4 Mums screenings, because they are a formula manufacturer. A small number of patrons feel this is off putting for some mums who breast feed.

We would like to re-assure everyone SMA fully support breastfeeding and formula feeding, and their sponsorship of these screenings is not just about promoting formula. The experts SMA have at these screenings will be there to provide all inclusive advice, giving advice on breastfeeding, formula feeding and any other nutritional advice you may need.

Indeed, to highlight SMA's support for breastfeeding, you will find attached an extract from a manual which was handed out free of charge to the patrons who attended the Movies 4 Mum screening this morning. You will see that breastfeeding is clearly encouraged by SMA as the first half of the manual is about breastfeeding, indeed the first section is titled 'Breast is Best'.
    You will also find attached a leaflet specifically about breastfeeding which was handed out this morning aswell.

I again re-assure you all that both Omniplex and SMA are in full support of every woman's right to choose how they wish to feed their babies, and the intention of this sponsorship is to enhance the experience of those in attendance by providing support and nutritional advice to all of our patrons, whatever their choice in this regard may be.

For any of you who are still concerned that formula feeding is being prioritised with this sponsorship, I would encourage you to attend a screening and speak with the nutritionist so you can see what is involved. If you still have concerns at that stage please don't hesitate to bring them to our attention.

Thank you for your continued support and as always all comments and suggestions are very welcome
    holy god are people never happy ??So what if it is sponcered by a formula who really cares ??By the time you get to be able to bring your baby to the cinema your well using formula or whatever. It wont make you not breast feed!! I for one would have loved to breast feed but unfortunatly i was not able to as my lovley mam was dying and i felt that at that particular time it was more important for me to be able to just leave my new baby with my hubby withpout having to worry about expressing etc, BTW my mam passed away when my baby was 3 weeks old and on hindsight i do not regret the decision I made !! Everyone should do what suits them , my child never suffered from not being breast fed and touch wood is never sick has been 3 years since she has seen a doctor, Women should not feel mpressured to to breast feed !!!! a contented mother gives you a contented baby , keep going to the cinema ladies and be glad its free or subsidised !!!! FECK the begrudgers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

can they not walk in after the advertising like everyone else?

advertising in general offends me so I try to view as little as possible of it

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

ffs like, over dramatic soccer Mums! it's not like there's a requirement to use the stuff if you go to the cinema...
    Ppl like that are the reason the world is going mad with P.C. and health and safety, always complaining about bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

gbee wrote: »
    No. I think I'm with the natural mum's in this case, my wife had five natural children and I'm 55.

BUT: At our second child my wife was given some drying up drug from the nurses, and given SMA, much to my disgust but I did not have a say in it, my wife did not know any better, it was the 'old' Erinville.

Mahon Point Cinema, don't have a good reputation, do they? At the best of times, let alone this initiative, which I know NOTHING about.

But if a nurse will give out Mastitis treatment routinely, what will a commercial element do?

I'd be disturbed too. tbh. The incidence of medical non feeding is very rare, there is a proportion of phycologicol problems that are not medically treatable. And in fact those affected might benefit from being in the company of other breast feeding women.

Breast is best, and I know that puts even more pressure on those who cannot breastfeed through a variety of stigma and no medical condition.

A medical condition would have been diagnosed from quite early in the majority of situations.

what happened to your wife was wrong yes, but that doe not give the right to preach to other mothers, that they SHOULD breast feed and if you don't then your child will be mentally unfit/sick etc. There are numerous reasons why some mums cannot, my own wife included who was very upset at not being able to breast feed, without having to get looks from breast brigade..... if the minority are so worried the should get their breast feeding sponsors to do something for them... maybe the "nipple cream" makers will do it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

This is farcical! Seriously you would think breast feeding mothers have enough to do with their time rather than complain about formula sponsorship. Get a life!

Breast feed if you want, formula feed if that suits, it's your choice. You should not feel obliged or guilted into your decision. You shouldn't have to explain your reasons or justify your case for not breastfeeding, its a personal choice.

Advertising is just that, advertising. I don't buy or agree with everything that advertised because gleefully I have the freedom of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

A thread complaining about how people will complain about anything.

Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jesus it's actually very worrying the way some people think. Stay at home if the sponsorship bothers them so much. Imagine if they had real issues to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

It is every womans choice if they want to breastfeed or not, and no one has any right to pass judgement on their choice.
    But seriously, do they complain when they see SMA or other formula ads on tv? Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

sok2005 wrote: »
    This is farcical! Seriously you would think breast feeding mothers have enough to do with their time rather than complain about formula sponsorship. Get a life!

Breast feed if you want, formula feed if that suits, it's your choice. You should not feel obliged or guilted into your decision. You shouldn't have to explain your reasons or justify your case for not breastfeeding, its a personal choice.

Advertising is just that, advertising. I don't buy or agree with everything that advertised because gleefully I have the freedom of choice.
    gpf101 wrote: »
    Jesus it's actually very worrying the way some people think. Stay at home if the sponsorship bothers them so much. Imagine if they had real issues to worry about.

agree with both posters here,
    sma also do a range of toddler milk aswell and unless mums are breastfeeding one and up now??

people are not happy unless they have something to complain about, its typical irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

never f**king happy like!! We watch and listen to thousands of advertisements for products we have no interest in or may even be opposed to. Just move on. SMA sponsoring it isn't a suggestion that mothers shouldn't breastfeed in any way. A complete overreaction- whats new.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

People whinging about people whinging. The Irish sure love their whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Erm... People whinging about people whinging about people whinging. Will it ever end. Stop the madness. Won't someone think of the children... Oh hang on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

What did they expect to sponsor it FFS, of course it would be some baby/child related product.

I would imagine anyway that the type that were complaining were of the tree hugging, vegetarian, wash themselves every month variety of people. We know the ones, I mean the type that breast feed babies in public view without even having the decency to even attempt to cover themselves up.

Ps this is coming from a man, whose wife breast fed 4 kids and think it is best.

Advertisement