Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr E wrote: »
    Kotaku Review: http://kotaku.com/5962027/borderlands-2-mr-torgues-campaign-of-carnage-the-kotaku-review

TL;DR: Fun, but not memorable, and definitely not as good as Scarlett.

I've only done a few of the missions and so far it doesn't have the same feel to it as Scarlett, Torgue is funny in a Hulk Hogan way but so far he jabbers away on the echo more than Jack did.

The review said it was light on side quests but I've seen at least 4 boards so far, granted they were not active but they do show on the map as green "!" so I assumed they would give out quests later.

Edit: I did come across a van / trailer on my travels and from it's decorations it most certainly belongs to Tina so I assume she'll be along later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

on IGN.

Home for lunch now, so I might fire up the xbox and download both DLC packs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Ok stupid question; how do I start Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage? Is it a new location like Oasis?

Edit: have the season pass for all DLC. Ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

glynf wrote: »
    Ok stupid question; how do I start Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage? Is it a new location like Oasis?

Might be oversimplifying this here, but have you actually downloaded it? Having the season-pass doesn't download the content for you.

glynf wrote: »

Yeah once it's installed just go to a fast travel station it's called Badass crater i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Hmm. Steam is set to auto update, and it recognises I have purchased the season pass but its not downloading/updating my game.

I have verified the game cache, so that's ok-cant see it on the steam store either.:confused:

You all playing xbox by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

and definitely not as good as Scarlett.

oh dear, scarlett was poor to say the least :(

oh dear, scarlett was poor to say the least :(

I quite enjoyed it, this is not as good though I was delighted to see
    Moxxi
    getting a prominent role, easily my favorite character :)

Best line in it is
    When you have to collect the lost echos Torgue "Tina said Goodnight Moxxi, Shows over
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

downloaded last night and after a painfully long time because of stupid internet connection finally got to play it. so far it's ok, I'm way over level though at 38 on pt1 vs all 30ies. Mr Torgue is the best part of it by miles, childish but awesome F**CKING AWESOME, BOOOOM!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭morninwood

hi all,

anyone want to give me a hand with terramorphus on PS3? lvl 50 axton but can't defeat him no matter how hard i try.
    PSN ID: dan27111978
    i am usually on for a bit around 5.30pm after work (while the missus is cooking)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished Mr.Torgue's DLC last night, including Joining a raid and defeating
    Pete The Invincible
    who is definitely easier than Hyperius and Master Gee.

Mr.Torgue is one of my new favourite characters in the game, but overall the DLC was kinda weak and I have a lack of interest in doing any of the side missions for it.

Might want to spoiler tag up the name there Penn, that one is part of the main story earlier on in the DLC.

Deffo easier than Gee but Hyperious? It's a fight that needs to be ended as quickly as possible I found, every time you turn those valves the mobs level increase and I found it difficult to keep my shield up later in the fight making my bee a liability :( The last time I finished him the mobs spawning were level 66 :eek:

His loot his probably the best I've seen drop from one boss though, and he drops more seriphs than the others, got a sweet legendary impaler shield from him that shoots homing corrosive spikes when you take bullet damage, and a legendary brawler class mod for my zerker which is the same as the slayer one except it's +5 to the stats instead of +4 :)

calex71 wrote: »
    Might want to spoiler tag up the name there Penn, that one is part of the main story earlier on in the DLC.

I got it.

Level 66 enemies when you're level 50? That sounds ridiculously hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I got it.

Level 66 enemies when you're level 50? That sounds ridiculously hard.

Apologies. Didn't really think it'd be a spoiler but should have erred on the side of caution.

I think it was moreso the weapons I had which made it easier. Grenade which spawns 9 grenades, and then spawns another 9 grenades, each grenade doing 60000 damage. Does huge damage to the minor enemies. Baby maker helped a lot too. Didn't get any loot though because when he was nearly dead I fell into FFYL I started to throw Babymakers, but someone else got the final kill. Then none of the c*nts would revive me. Got the Seraph Crystals as they seem to be shared like money, but didn't even get to see what good loot there was by the time I got back down. Picked up a few blue shields and class mods which were there just so I could sell them. Might try defeat him solo today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I just don't understand the attraction to the Borderlands series. I got bored of the first one pretty quickly but decided to give #2 a shot albeit a rental this time.

I plan to bring it back today.

Firstly, I'm only playing the single player. I don't really know anyone that owns it. This probably means I'm not playing it to its potential but I don't care, it's still ****.

Good points:
    Good use of humour I guess.

That's all I can think of.

Bad points:

Repetitive cookie cutter environments.
    It's just so blandly generic and soul-less. Textures are so poor in parts. I know some people love cell-shading, I'm not one of them.

Enemy spawning. Reach a trigger point and they just "appear". No immersion whatsoever. An abundance of buildings with no doors that open, merely to serve a entrance points for spawned bad guys.

Way too much loot. Most of which I have already. More than half of the time I open a box to find I'm "full" on that item. How hard is it to modify the contents to suit what you might actually need.

Too many weapons. You could spend half your life comparing every weapon when in reality, it makes very little difference, it'll be useless once you level up. It just feels like they overwhelm you with too many weapons that too few differences between them.

The whole thing is just generic blandness. Ugh. Don't know how the ratings are so high for it. Makes me sad for gaming if this is what people consider a "great" game.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

quarryman wrote: »
    I just don't understand the attraction to the Borderlands series. I got bored of the first one pretty quickly but decided to give #2 a shot albeit a rental this time.

I plan to bring it back today.

Firstly, I'm only playing the single player. I don't really know anyone that owns it. This probably means I'm not playing it to its potential but I don't care, it's still ****.

Good points:
    Good use of humour I guess.

That's all I can think of.

Bad points:

It's just so blandly generic and soul-less. Textures are so poor in parts. I know some people love cell-shading, I'm not one of them.

Enemy spawning. Reach a trigger point and they just "appear". No immersion whatsoever. An abundance of buildings with no doors that open, merely to serve a entrance points for spawned bad guys.

Way too much loot. Most of which I have already. More than half of the time I open a box to find I'm "full" on that item. How hard is it to modify the contents to suit what you might actually need.

Too many weapons. You could spend half your life comparing every weapon when in reality, it makes very little difference, it'll be useless once you level up. It just feels like they overwhelm you with too many weapons that too few differences between them.

The whole thing is just generic blandness. Ugh. Don't know how the ratings are so high for it. Makes me sad for gaming if this is what people consider a "great" game.

And that's just your opinion, which you're fully entitled to. A lot of people would disagree with you entirely and that's why it gets high ratings.

Personally I hate all fifa games and most of the new CODs but I accept that there's plenty of people that love them and really enjoy them, it certainly doesn't upset me.

Sorry I don't mean "I'm right and everyone else is wrong". It's just my opinion of course. I suppose I'm more frustrated that I don't get what the big deal is and based on my criticisms that others could point out what they DO like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Too many weapons???

Too much loot???

Seriously??

• Advertisement

based on my criticisms that others could point out what they DO like.

Challenge accepted.
    quarryman wrote:
    Bad points:

As far as I know, the prototype of borderlands was one of those bland green and brown shooters, and they switched it to the cell shading. I love the style - it's distinctive, it's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. The original may have had a limited palette (for the first two thirds anyway), but the sequel has a ton of variety - snow, desert, green areas, cities, caves, lava.... FWIW, give me FUN over graphics any day.
    quarryman wrote:

Hmmmm.... Sounds like COD to me. Except COD funnels you from one end of each brown level to the other end. Borderlands has huge open areas and freedom to explore.
    quarryman wrote:

Irrelevant. I've never run out of ammo in Borderlands 2. Plus the ammo is persistent (as long as you stay on a map), so you can come back and collect it later when you need it.

Oh and there is no such thing as too much loot. :)
    quarryman wrote:

You learn to quickly compare weapons (without even picking them up), it becomes second nature and an addictive part of the game. I've had some weapons for the last 2 or 3 levels because they suit my needs.
    quarryman wrote:

Both games are huge. They are challenging, addictive, immersive, fun - and double all that on New Game+. You have the flexibility to take available sub-quests in any order, a vast single player campaign that takes a huge amount of time to finish (I'm nearly 48 hours into my first play-through of Borderlands 2). You have some of the best DLC out of any game (better than dull map packs for other FPS games). The game has some of the funniest writing and best characters in recent memory.

But if you don't like it, you don't like it. :o

For what its worth, the likes of Halo and COD bore me to tears (coincidentally for some of the same reasons that you don't like Borderlands).

Borderlands 2 just hit something in me that keeps me coming back to it even more so than the 1st game, those who know me know what an achievement whore I am and how quickly I will play finish and never come back to a game, and move on to the next one, but Bl2 has defied all of that and has kept my interest long after achievements were earned.

I guess this is how some feel about halo / cod / battlefield etc???? it's a new experience on me :o So it's all down to taste at the end of the day , just because you didn't enjoy borderlands 2 doesn't mean you were playing it wrong or that it was rubbish it just wasn't for you, same way COD or Halo are not for me :)

Hmmmm.... Sounds like COD to me. Except COD funnels you from one end of each brown level to the other end. Borderlands has huge open areas and freedom to explore.

Why compare to COD? (which I also hate by the way). It's an on the rails shooter that has a campaign mode tacked on to its real target audience of online players. A silly comparison really.

Irrelevant. I've never run out of ammo in Borderlands 2. Plus the ammo is persistent (as long as you stay on a map), so you can come back and collect it later when you need it.

Really? I must be doing something wrong then. In the few hours I've given it I've regularly run out of ammo
    Oh and there is no such thing as too much loot. :)

There is when it's just slightly different versions of something else you have that will be worthless 20 minutes later.
    Both games are huge. They are challenging,

They're only challenging if you pick a mission above your current level and in those cases it's often a case of cat and mouse with the enemy due to his +x% health over yours. It's not that the AI improves, it's just a health modifier due to his level. Boring.
    immersive,

It bloody well is not immersive. Unless you derive immersion from slot machines, continuously slogging away, gaining occasional improvement, doing the same action repeatedly hoping for slightly better results. The environment is so blatantly contrived and scaled it actually destroys any immersion.
    Morrowind, Amnesia, Stalker. Those are immersive games. Borderlands is just cookie cutter drivel.
    double all that on New Game+.

eh, no thanks.
    You have some of the best DLC out of any game (better than dull map packs for other FPS games).

Stop comparing it to other FPS games. It really doesn't fall into the same category. If anything its more of a button mashing soul-less MMORPG than an FPS. I can't comment on the DLC. I'd need to complete the game first to consider it.
    The game has some of the funniest writing and best characters in recent memory.

Woah. Let's not go overboard here. It's good. Best in recent memory?

Presumably then your memory doesn't stretch back as far as Planescape Torment, Grim Fandango, Portal 1/2? Monkey Island? Those are funny games. Borderlands is mildly humourous. The writing is decent enough.
    For what its worth, the likes of Halo and COD bore me to tears (coincidentally for some of the same reasons that you don't like Borderlands).

This is the last FPS comparison I'm allowing you :)
    Halo and COD are FPS's. Borderlands is a loot pinata. It's the same task over and over again against incrementally improved enemies dropping incrementally better weapons. If anything, you should be comparing it to Diablo 3 *shudder*.

And you don't like Halo because of the reasons I don't like Borderlands? Its generic, poorly designed has too many weapons and too much loot? Have you ever even played Halo? It has some of the best level design of any game. The weapon system is almost perfect. And too much loot? Cmon.

I'm not saying its a bad game. But it's no better than good. I'm never going to get support or agreement on the game thread but I just want to voice my opinion on why I think it's hugely over-rated. I'm glad you guys enjoy it! I'm off to play something better - I still haven't got around to completing Superman 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Stop comparing it to other FPS games. It really doesn't fall into the same category. If anything its more of a button mashing soul-less MMORPG than an FPS. I can't comment on the DLC. I'd need to complete the game first to consider it.

This is the last FPS comparison I'm allowing you :)
    Halo and COD are FPS's. Borderlands is a loot pinata. It's the same task over and over again against incrementally improved enemies dropping incrementally better weapons. If anything, you should be comparing it to Diablo 3 *shudder*.

I don't want to address most of your points, because I don't think it'll matter much but..

... Well, primarily it's an FPS. Sure, it has RPG elements (bare) but at it's core it's still an FPS. So comparisons with FPSs are pretty much bang on. Halo and COD are also, as you say, .... the same task over and over again ... sorry, I may have mixed up paragraphs there. It's as button mashing as the other FPSs are.

I don't say BL2 is a fantastic genre-changing game... but it's a very good game. It's an excellent amalgam of a few different ideas. None particularly original, but still a very addictive combination all the same. For most anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

tbh quarryman you arguing for the sake of arguing.

trolling it another word for it.

Posting a lot of crap about a very simple game.

Shoot people, loot ****, get better weapons.

its that simple.

I'm starting to tire of BL2 tbh, compared to the first one there are just so many negative points, crap drops & loot in general, stupid & tedious side missions esp in the DLCs, impossible bosses for single players (terra, hyperious, master gee, pete), useless dahl and hyperion weapons, the need to farm bosses non stop for the tiniest chance of something half decent, and the consumes stupid amounts of ammo per shot nonsense. i can't even be bothered finishing badass crater at this point.
    I think I may just go back to BL1, so much more playable

dreamers75 wrote: »
    tbh quarryman you arguing for the sake of arguing.

trolling it another word for it.

Posting a lot of crap about a very simple game.

Shoot people, loot ****, get better weapons.

its that simple.

Relax. I'm not saying the game is ****, I'm just saying that *I* just think its ****. There's no trolling going on. I outlined my reasons clearly, that's what a forum is for, right? Am I not allowed voice my views on a game you evidently like? :)

Rather than "posting a lot of crap", as you called it I detailed my issues with the title in as best I could.

I love talking about games, whether I love or loathe them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Relax. I'm not saying the game is ****, I'm just saying that *I* just think its ****. There's no trolling going on. I outlined my reasons clearly, that's what a forum is for, right? Am I not allowed voice my views on a game you evidently like? :)

Rather than "posting a lot of crap", as you called it I detailed my issues with the title in as best I could.

I love talking about games, whether I love or loathe them!

Out of interest, did you like Diablo? That's what I find borderlands to be most like.

oeb wrote: »
    Out of interest, did you like Diablo? That's what I find borderlands to be most like.

Good question. I assume you mean Diablo 3?

I enjoyed in as much that I completed it on normal. But I couldn't drag myself through it on the next difficulty. Again I was only playing it single player with an occasional random human player.

It was ok. Suffered the same problems as BL2 but for whatever reason I tolerated it more. I LOVED the mini game of playing the Auction House market trying to snap up a bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

PS3: CJCJT-RKF53-J5C5B-ZBK33-3RCXR

PC: KJ5BJ-KTB5W-WXBJT-33JTJ-5Z9JX

X360: WTWJ3-WJTTX-6SR3R-WF3JJ-3XJK3

Advertisement