Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car to tow a horse box

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056344494

One of the above poster suggested it was not safe using a car to tow a horse box with 2 horse on board . Another poster suggested he was wrong and if only towing a few times a year a car was fine.

My understanding is that you are not insured once you have that much weight behind the normal car. It is one thing chancing a fine but being uninsured in the event of an accident would be a bitter pill to swallow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

brownswiss wrote: »
    One of the above poster suggested it was not safe using a car to tow a horse box with 2 horse on board . Another poster suggested he was wrong and if only towing a few times a year a car was fine.

My understanding is that you are not insured once you have that much weight behind the normal car. It is one thing chancing a fine but being uninsured in the event of an accident would be a bitter pill to swallow

There is no law that states towing 'that much weight' behind a 'normal' car is illegal, what is that much weight and what is a normal car? there are plenty of estate cars up to the job of pulling a horsebox, it's all down to the DGW of the vehicle,towing capacity etc.

Also this thread is 4 years old ffs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭zwind

you can get a 08 e60 525d m sport for 15k in total form UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Mustang I reckon or a Hyundai Pony

tossy wrote: »
    There is no law that states towing 'that much weight' behind a 'normal' car is illegal, what is that much weight and what is a normal car? there are plenty of estate cars up to the job of pulling a horsebox, it's all down to the DGW of the vehicle,towing capacity etc.

What family saloon is legal to pull a 505 horse box with 2 horse on board. Why does it matter how old the thread is if the information is relevant... even if only to a few of us

• Advertisement

fleex wrote: »
    you can get a 08 e60 525d m sport for 15k in total from UK.
    ... Have you one for sale ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

..Why does it matter how old the thread is if the information is relevant

Because the Mods will shut you down!

Well, they would if your name was Jesus :pac:

Jesus. wrote: »
    Because the Mods will shut you down!

Well, they would if your name was Jesus :pac:

Maybe Jesus could enlighten trailer towers... He probarly does not resort to ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

tossy wrote: »

+1000.

What family saloon is legal to pull a 505 horse box with 2 horse on board. Why does it matter how old the thread is if the information is relevant... even if only to a few of us

A 505 horse box weights 900kg empty, plus 2x500kg horses = 1900kg combined.

There are many 2wd cars that are fully certified to tow 2000kg, I know mine is.(98 lexus gs300), some mondeos and larger VAG 2wd cars can tow 2200kg too.

Some 4x4s have a terrible towing capacity such as a Toyota Hilux 3.0 d4d doublecab (06-10) of just 1500kg.

Don't forget that a BE licence or better is a legal requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

There's no simple rule that you can tow a horsebox with jeep and can't with car.
    It's all down to weights.

Every vehicle has a maximum weight of trailer possible to tow specified by manufacturer.
    It's on the weight plate, which is usually by driver's on passenger door.

Once horsebox with horses is heavier than maximum weight allowed for trailer, then it can not be towed. Simple as that.

• Advertisement

Just a random link I found.
    http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/volkswagen/passat/towing-weight-limit/

As you can see pretty much every passat with 2.0 engine can tow 2tonnes or more, which should be enough for 2 horses.
    My Civic can tow 1500kg, so I could only take one horse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭alias no.9

corktina wrote: »
    Mustang I reckon or a Hyundai Pony

Mitsubishi Colt or "Starion"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭guil

CiniO wrote: »
    Just a random link I found.
    http://carleasingmadesimple.com/business-car-leasing/volkswagen/passat/towing-weight-limit/

As you can see pretty much every passat with 2.0 engine can tow 2tonnes or more, which should be enough for 2 horses.
    My Civic can tow 1500kg, so I could only take one horse ;)
    You probably couldn't tow that horsebox. It doesn't matter if you only want to put one horse in it, the GVW is the only factor.

guil wrote: »
    You probably couldn't tow that horsebox. It doesn't matter if you only want to put one horse in it, the GVW is the only factor.

It's not.
    F.e. my car is limited to tow 1500kg.
    Trailer GVW is 2000kg.
    But trailer on it's own weights 800kg.
    If I load it with 500kg, then kerb weight of the trailer is 1300kg, which is less than 1500kg my car can tow, so I can tow it.
    Obviously assuming I have BE licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's not.
    F.e. my car is limited to tow 1500kg.
    Trailer GVW is 2000kg.
    But trailer on it's own weights 800kg.
    If I load it with 500kg, then kerb weight of the trailer is 1300kg, which is less than 1500kg my car can tow, so I can tow it.
    Obviously assuming I have BE licence.

Are you sure about that? Pretty sure the plated MAM of the trailer must be less than the towing weight of the car, laden or unladen don't matter.

guil wrote: »
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Pretty sure the plated MAM of the trailer must be less than the towing weight of the car, laden or unladen don't matter.

No, your getting your wires crossed. What you are referring to is your licence.

You cannot tow an empty trailer plated to MAM/DGVW of 3500kg and 1000km unladen with a B licence, yet 95% of cars are certified to do as it's below the actual towing capacity weight, (you can with a BE)

mullingar wrote: »
    No, your getting your wires crossed. What you are referring to is your licence.

You cannot tow an empty trailer plated to MAM/DGVW of 3500kg and 1000km unladen with a B licence, yet 95% of cars are certified to do as it's below the actual towing capacity weight, (you can with a BE)

Mullingar can you tell me in relation to Insurance ( My licence is not an issue ) firstly with an empty 505 horse box and then either with one or two horses. My understanding from a meeting I was at is that the normal family saloon is not insured to tow this box because of its maximum weight capacity
    Thanks in advance & a link would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Mitsubishi Starion ofc

alias no.9 wrote: »
    That is also my understanding

AFAIK, As long as you declare to the insurance company that you have a towbar, you are insured to tow a trailer not exceeding the maximum towing capacity of the car as long as your licence covers it. (the trailer should then be covered third party only).

You can find the maximum trailer weight capacity of a car on the cars weight plate - usually found on the B pillar or under bonnet. Just subtract the two top weights (max train weight / dgvw)

If the cars maximum capacity is 1500kg, you are covered to tow a 505 (unladen 900kg) with a 500kg horse, even if the trailer has a 3500kg MAM (maximum authorised mass) or in old money the DGVW (design gross vehicle weight).

I did my BE test last year with a 505 laden with the required 600kg in concrete blocks in a diesel Laguna rated to 1500kg. I was on the limit and the Tester had no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Best car to tow a horse box?

a rental

my friend wrote: »
    Best car to tow a horse box?

a rental

Funny you should say that, when I did my test I couldn't use my own car as it's an auto and the licence would be restricted to auto and I couldn't find any car to rent with a towbar. Had to borrow the manual Laguna as it was hard to find a car with a towbar with working light socket, plated to min 1500kg and have valid tax!

AFAIK, As long as you declare to the insurance company that you have a towbar, you are insured to tow a trailer not exceeding the maximum towing capacity of the car as long as your licence covers it. (the trailer should then be covered third party only).

You can find the maximum trailer weight capacity of a car on the cars weight plate - usually found on the B pillar or under bonnet. Just subtract the two top weights (max train weight / dgvw)

If the cars maximum capacity is 1500kg, you are covered to tow a 505 (unladen 900kg) with a 500kg horse, even if the trailer has a 3500kg MAM (maximum authorised mass) or in old money the DGVW (design gross vehicle weight).

I did my BE test last year with a 505 laden with the required 600kg in concrete blocks in a diesel Laguna rated to 1500kg. I was on the limit and the Tester had no problem.

That is interesting especially as your test was so recent

Mullingar can you tell me in relation to Insurance ( My licence is not an issue ) firstly with an empty 505 horse box and then either with one or two horses. My understanding from a meeting I was at is that the normal family saloon is not insured to tow this box because of its maximum weight capacity
    Thanks in advance & a link would be great

Just to add, this would definitely be true for a B licence.

Just to add, this would definitely be true for a B licence.
    I am not asking about licence. Just asking in relation to insurance of a car that is pulling a 505 box. Assume the person has the full & proper licence to tow it does the MAM of the 505 cause the insurance to be void if the vehicle towing is only a normal family car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

No car should be pulling a horse box. Full stop. That's what jeeps/suv's are for. The only trailers a car should be towing are them small single axle trailers. A big horse box is far too much pressure for a car. Seen a few big horse boxes being pulled by passats before, sure the back of the car was sitting well over the rear tyres with the weight. Maybe that's just me, but I'd never have any trailer on my cars.

I am not asking about licence. Just asking in relation to insurance of a car that is pulling a 505 box. Assume the person has the full & proper licence to tow it does the MAM of the 505 cause the insurance to be void if the vehicle towing is only a normal family car?

If car is designed to tow the weight of the trailer, then there can't be any insurance implications.
    As I said before - every car has a limit of trailer weight set by manufacturer, and it can be found on vehicle plate.
    Most bigger saloon cars (like mondeo, passat, etc) are rated at least 1500kg or more, sometimes in excess of 2000kg, which might be enough to tow a horsebox with 2 horses.

No car should be pulling a horse box. Full stop. That's what jeeps/suv's are for.
    Says who?
    If car manufacturers say that car can tow 2 tonnes, then why shouldn't it.

If car is designed to tow the weight of the trailer, then there can't be any insurance implications.
    As I said before - every car has a limit of trailer weight set by manufacturer, and it can be found on vehicle plate.
    Most bigger saloon cars (like mondeo, passat, etc) are rated at least 1500kg or more, sometimes in excess of 2000kg, which might be enough to tow a horsebox with 2 horses.

I was just on another forum and it stated that it is what is stamped on your horse box that counts so even if the 505 is empty you can not tow with those cars because the MAM or MGW is 2340kgs.

• Advertisement

I was just on another forum and it stated that it is what is stamped on your horse box that counts so even if the 505 is empty you can not tow with those cars because the MAM or MGW is 2340kgs.

Well if your car has towing capacity of 2350kg then you can anyway.

I remember not long time ago someone posting a link stating, that in Ireland it was actual weight of the trailer that matters, not the D.G.V.W.
    I unfortunately can not find reliable source at the moment.
    Maybe I'll have more luck finding one tomorrow.

Advertisement