Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Syferus wrote: »
    Surely you understand Dublin know exactly what you said too and would be equally daft to give up a home game next year for a meaningless one this year?

Maybe they feel it's the lesser of two evils.
    There would be less risk of serious injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Syferus wrote: »
    Surely you understand Dublin know exactly what you said too and would be equally daft to give up a home game next year for a meaningless one this year?

Methinks you may be over sating the importance of where the Dubs play their 2017 league games, just a tad.

The Dubs couldn't give two $hits as to where they play them. The '"morketing roysh" heads in the DCB, aren't going to be all that thrilled at the possibility of only having 2 home games in 2017. But the players and mgt couldn't give a damm. The fact that they have won 3 league titles in a row, bears that out.

In the Jim Gavin era, Dublin have lost a grand total of 4 league games...2 at home to Tyrone & Cork and 2 away to Kerry and Cork. That hardly suggests a team, who is quaking in their boots at having to play away league fixtures, regardless of how noisy the 'get the Dubs outa Croker' hype machine gets in the summer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

seligehgit wrote: »
    So how are you guys feeling about the under 21 final tomorrow?Whilst Roscommon seek a 3 in a row,it is 7 long years since we won a Connaught championship at this very important grade and we have'nt been going very well in the interim.We suffered a right drubbing at your hands in McHale Park a couple of years.

Much expected of this Mayo team,9 members of the successful 2013 minor team started against Leitrim.Liam Irwin in addition would have started if fit.They put up quite a big score but possibly need to tighten up defensively.Hopefully we'll have a great contest.

Ros by 3 points. Would have been more more if we were allowed keep home advantage but that embarrassment in CC had to be his usual **** self.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

the minors got an awful beating in tuam today by the Galways today, I hope the u21s do a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

the minors got an awful beating in tuam today by the Galways today, I hope the u21s do a bit better

Well they are not doing to bad so far, 1-03 to no score after 10 mins.

• Advertisement

Well they are not doing to bad so far, 1-03 to no score after 10 mins.

sounds like a good start, early days yet with that rain though,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

FT Rossies 1-10, Mayo !-11. Bad week for ye Rossies.

Absolutely threw that game away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

FT Rossies 1-10, Mayo !-11. Bad week for ye Rossies.

4 in a Row for ye when the Dubs are finished tomorrow.

I couldnt make it to the match myself but listened on the radio, it sounded like we were the better team but **** in our pants and let them back into it, very bad week, I hope the jacks dont give us a big beating tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just back from the U21 and if ever you want to see a team throw a game away go get the DVD. So bloody frustrating!!!

Roscommon were far and away the better team in the first half and should have been much more than 5 points up at half time. It wasn't even close.

Mayo in fairness started the second half with much more urgency, but really struggled to score, outside of frees. Even when Compton went off injured and Mullooly was stupidly black-carded, Roscommon weren't ever under any major pressure, however a succession of really poor decision-making errors, especially an unbelievalbe inability to give a short hand-pass to a Roscommon team-mate's stomach instead of over his f*ckin head or too far ahead of him on a slippy surface cost Rocommon dearly. Most of Mayo's scores came from needless turnovers.

Diarmuid, once again, was class. Got the MOM award and caused panic every time the ball was put near him, even though he was double-marked for the entire game.
    Ronan Daly, despite being criminally underused while wide open in the second half, played very well and every time I see Brian Stack I'm getting more impressed.
    I felt sorry for Henry Walsh. When put clean through in the first half, one-on-one, he decided to go round the goalie, to 'make sure', but having swerved beautifully to wrong-foot the goalie, he bounced the ball, but the ball never came up on the wet surface. He ended up fluffing an open goal. After that, despite getting on the ball well and linking well, he was afraid to go for his own scores and ended up passing to fellas in worse positions than him. I think the missed goal chance really rattled him, but he is a very classy player, who I hope doesn't take this too badly.

Any word yet on where the senior is tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

megadodge wrote: »
    Any word yet on where the senior is tomorrow?
    Well there was supposedly a stupid April Fool article on Hoganstand with some minor admitting of being an April Fool. A ridiculous sutuation as it read perfectly like a normal article bar two words of Latin whatever they were at the very end. Unsuprisingly people are now confused.

Well there was supposedly a stupid April Fool article on Hoganstand with some minor admitting of being an April Fool. A ridiculous sutuation as it read perfectly like a normal article bar two words of Latin whatever they were at the very end. Unsuprisingly people are now confused.

That's come and gone. There was supposed to be a decision made at 5 this evening. I've heard nothing.

Anybody?

Just heard that there's another pitch inspection at 9am tomorrow.

I think they should have made the decision today and live with the consequences.

Just heard that there's another pitch inspection at 9am tomorrow.

I think they should have made the decision today and live with the consequences.

Not really good enough. Div 1 Gaa could do with taking a leaf out of soccer's book. If the facilities both on and off the pitch are not up to scratch the county shouldn't be able to participate. Its not fair on players of either team to play in conditions such as last week.

Half the counties wouldn't be able to participate if that was the case.

I would expect the game to go to Carrick still raining fairly heavy in Ros.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Half the counties wouldn't be able to participate if that was the case.

I would expect the game to go to Carrick still raining fairly heavy in Ros.

I agree. However I remember following Shamrock Rovers around the country and most if not all of the grounds were sh1tholes. Then UEFA brought in minimum standards and all grounds improved, including League of Ireland.

Its not beyond the bounds for the GAA to try the same. For argument sake, why should Galway or Tyrone be in Div 2 in contrast to a team which struggles to host its games.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I agree. However I remember following Shamrock Rovers around the country and most if not all of the grounds were sh1tholes. Then UEFA brought in minimum standards and all grounds improved, including League of Ireland.

Its not beyond the bounds for the GAA to try the same. For argument sake, why should Galway or Tyrone be in Div 2 in contrast to a team which struggles to host its games.

A team should only be in Div 1 if they are good enough that's the very reason why Galway or Tyrone arent there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Just back from the U21 and if ever you want to see a team throw a game away go get the DVD. So bloody frustrating!!!

Roscommon were far and away the better team in the first half and should have been much more than 5 points up at half time. It wasn't even close.

Mayo in fairness started the second half with much more urgency, but really struggled to score, outside of frees. Even when Compton went off injured and Mullooly was stupidly black-carded, Roscommon weren't ever under any major pressure, however a succession of really poor decision-making errors, especially an unbelievalbe inability to give a short hand-pass to a Roscommon team-mate's stomach instead of over his f*ckin head or too far ahead of him on a slippy surface cost Rocommon dearly. Most of Mayo's scores came from needless turnovers.

Diarmuid, once again, was class. Got the MOM award and caused panic every time the ball was put near him, even though he was double-marked for the entire game.
    Ronan Daly, despite being criminally underused while wide open in the second half, played very well and every time I see Brian Stack I'm getting more impressed.
    I felt sorry for Henry Walsh. When put clean through in the first half, one-on-one, he decided to go round the goalie, to 'make sure', but having swerved beautifully to wrong-foot the goalie, he bounced the ball, but the ball never came up on the wet surface. He ended up fluffing an open goal. After that, despite getting on the ball well and linking well, he was afraid to go for his own scores and ended up passing to fellas in worse positions than him. I think the missed goal chance really rattled him, but he is a very classy player, who I hope doesn't take this too badly.

A provincial title Roscommon left behind them by all accounts

In a tight game home advantage can be worth a few points also. Any reason why Kiltoom wasn't used for this final? when you consider only a little over 2,000 was at the final in Sligo it would have held that crowd.

• Advertisement

I would say a certain man made sure Kiltoom wouldn't be allowed be used.Kiltoom could easily have held the game today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I would say a certain man made sure Kiltoom wouldn't be allowed be used.Kiltoom could easily have held the game today.

Probably a kick for the ****ehole state of the Hyde. Your plans for world domination took a big setback this week. Can't see today being any better....

wet night so id say it's in a bad state, I heard they didnt want to say to early that they are moving it in case a lot of the jacks started booking hotels in carrick stead of ross, if its any way playible they should just get on with it and dont move it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

A team should only be in Div 1 if they are good enough that's the very reason why Galway or Tyrone arent there this year.

Exactly. Teams should be there on merit. At the same time, it is an awfully embarrassing situation for Roscommon to be in. I was in Tuam for Galway - Fermanagh last week. I can't imagine there was that much difference in rainfall between this 2 locations and Tuam was in fairly good condition. Every county competing in every division should be capable of providing a pitch to play on. There should be some sort of punishment (whether fines, lose home advantage, lose points) to ensure the county puts a sustained effort into having a pitch ready

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Match moved to Carrick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Match moved to Carrick

Least surprising news ever. On no planet close to here was the Hyde going to be playable today. I'm a proud rosie, but the carry on of the county board this week is a huge embarrassment. Croke park should throw the book at them for acting the tit all week.

Least surprising news ever. On no planet close to here was the Hyde going to be playable today. I'm a proud rosie, but the carry on of the county board this week is a huge embarrassment. Croke park should throw the book at them for acting the tit all week.

its ridiculous, I heard in the mart in thursday that it would be in carrick, just keeping the publicans happy by not saying it till this morning, the county board is a joke,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Disgraceful really to leave it this late. Will build a lot of ill will towards Roscommon if that shíte goes on any more.

A lot of fans on the way down to Roscommon as we speak. Awful bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Disgraceful really to leave it this late. Will build a lot of ill will towards Roscommon if that shíte goes on any more.

A lot of fans on the way down to Roscommon as we speak. Awful bad form.

Yes and some were even on the train before the move was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

cocoman wrote: »
    Yes and some were even on the train before the move was announced.

Hadn't even thought of that. Will there be anything to accommodate them when they arrive in Roscommon?!

Advertisement