Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Ale on Tap in Ireland on a Sunny Summer Sunday.

Options
  • 31-07-2011 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I wish . . . . .

Will we ever be able to get real on tap in Ireland (like they do up North or in Britain). Went to the pub last week (South Dublin) with the family for a nice Sunday meal, and I would have loved nothing more that a nice pint of Adnams, or Speckled Hen, Old Cock, Spitfire, Bishops Finger, Summer Sizzler, Widow's Peg, or Auntes Tit, or anything on tap for that matter > but alas we still haven't got pubs that serve real Ale on Tap :cool:

A few years ago there were rumblings that the JD Wetherspoon chain was coming to Ireland, 'Yipee I thought' and I actually got excited at the prospect of getting a real fresh Pint on tap here in the Republic, sadly the JD move never transpired.

Would love a pint of Real Ale down the local on a nice summers day.

PS: And before anybody mentions the Porterhouse, I'm not traipsing into Nassau Street or Temple Bar everytime I want a pint on a sunny summer Sunday, so I wonder, will we ever be served Real Ale on Tap?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

There is a Porterhouse in Bray if thats closer to you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ciaran76 wrote: »
    There is a Porterhouse in Bray if thats closer to you ?

Not fresh from the cask though, just bottled Ale :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm not traipsing into Nassau Street or Temple Bar everytime I want a pint on a sunny summer Sunday, so I wonder, will we ever be served Real Ale on Tap?
    Without having to go to the pub for it? No, it doesn't work like that.

There are now seven pubs in Dublin with cask beer on tap permanently. If you just want tasty beer and don't especially care how its CO2 is generated there are several more with that.

If you're in Cork you'll get cask beer in The Bierhaus and the Abbot's. In Galway, The Salt House. There are a few more dotted around the country as well.

If you want to drink it, it's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I think the OP is asking if we'll see one or two hand pumps in the majority of pubs so he doesn't have to actively seek out cask ale.

I would say it'll remain a niche, although a growing one.

Some reasons for this:

Unlike the UK, we don't have lots of local breweries (that's rapidly changing but from a very low base)

Publicans generally don't know a lot about beer. Serving cask ale is going to involve staff training and hassle that they never had to worry about in the good times for the on-trade.

Any tradition of drinking cask ale in Ireland was lost a couple of generations ago. There isn't enough demand at the moment to have it widely available.

BTW I don't think cask ale is particularly common in the North. Whitewater do a couple.

You seem to know what I'm talking about 'Bigcheeze' but its lost on many who have never enjoyed the delights of hand pumped Real Cask Ale as served in 99% of UK Pubs. I guess Diageo's vice like grip on the Irish market has something to do with us not being able to get the real stuff hand pumped here on a countrywide basis?

• Advertisement

hand pumped Real Cask Ale as served in 99% of UK Pubs.
    That figure is only 51%, though growing.
    I guess Diageo's vice like grip on the Irish market has something to do with us not being able to get the real stuff hand pumped here on a countrywide basis?
    If they thought enough people were interested in drinking it, they would make it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    That figure is only 51%, though growing.

Only 51% of UK pubs serve real Ale? that's an amazingly low figure. I have travelled the length & breath of the country & never found a pub that couldn't serve me a pint, but I take your word for it.

Only 51% of UK pubs serve real Ale? that's an amazingly low figure. I have travelled the length & breath of the country & never found a pub that couldn't serve me a pint, but I take your word for it.
    I was reading something today that quoted 54%, but it's around there. Cask beer is only 12% of draught beer sold in the UK. There's very little cask ale sold across vast swathes of Scotland and (oddly) northern England. Northern Ireland brings the average down too.

Plus a lot of the common cask beers just aren't very interesting, IMO. On a sunny Sunday in south Dublin I'd much rather be drinking fresh O'Hara's IPA in The Queen's in Dalkey than anything by Shepherd Neame.

O'Hara's is OK, but I love this time of year in an English pub with the guest Ales lined up, what a choice :D

A nice golden Ale, followed by another, and another, I can dream . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was reading something today that quoted 54%, but it's around there. Cask beer is only 12% of draught beer sold in the UK. There's very little cask ale sold across vast swathes of Scotland and (oddly) northern England. Northern Ireland brings the average down too.

Just to put an angle on that figure; most pubs I've seen in the UK just have 1 or 2 beers on the hand pump out of maybe 7-8 keg taps per bar. Allow for those pubs/night clubs/social clubs/sports venues that would only stock kegged or bottled beer as well as those areas where real ale isn't strong and the 12% of beer served from the cask is actually respectable enough a figure IMO.

As an aside, where are the cask beer taps in Dublin? Bull and Castle, I know of....

• Advertisement

As an aside, where are the cask beer taps in Dublin? Bull and Castle, I know of....
    Porterhouse Temple Bar, Porterhouse Central, L. Mulligan. Grocer, Against the Grain, Messrs Maguire, The Palace, The Cobblestone.

Oh, that's eight. There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Porterhouse Temple Bar, Porterhouse Central, L. Mulligan. Grocer, Against the Grain, Messrs Maguire, The Palace, The Cobblestone.

How long has the Palace one? I was in there on the June Bank Holiday last and I didn't see it in :(

How long has the Palace one?
    About a fortnight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

When did the Cobblestone get one / what's on? Very interesting news...

Leto wrote: »
    When did the Cobblestone get one
    A month or so ago.
    Leto wrote: »
    what's on?
    It's a dedicated Dungarvan tap, serving Helvick Gold last I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

On a sunny Sunday in south Dublin I'd much rather be drinking fresh O'Hara's IPA in The Queen's in Dalkey than anything by Shepherd Neame.
    +1

Well, maybe not O'Hara's IPA (for me), but the point is that just because a beer is on cask doesn't mean it's necessarily any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

On a sunny Sunday in south Dublin I'd much rather be drinking fresh O'Hara's IPA in The Queen's in Dalkey than anything by Shepherd Neame.

When you say fresh do you mean cask? And its in The Queens?
    Or am i misunderstanding?

Messrs Maguire, The Palace, The Cobblestone.

Messers Maguire with hand pumped real Ale, are you sure ???

I dont know the other pubs, but I do know Messers & I Have never ever seen a real ale on tap (hand pumped). so at this point I think we should clarify what this thread is meant to be about . . . . I am trying to establish if there are any pubs (not necessarily in the City centre) wher you can get a pint of Real Ale hand pumped from the cask, ala all the Ales I mentioned in post #1.

I am not interested in anything on draught or with gas added.

A pint of Tetleys or Adnams would be lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

No clarification necessary for the Beernut, I reckon.

Go down stairs in Messrs. The brewery bar in the basement usually has something on cask.

When you say fresh do you mean cask?
    Nope, keg. Unpasteurised, lightly filtered, deliciously hoppy, keg.
    And its in The Queens?
    So I'm told.
    Usually yes. Though contrary to what noby says, last I saw they'd moved the beer engine to the first floor, on the left-hand end of the bar.
    I Have never ever seen a real ale on tap (hand pumped).
    When they first opened they had Dublin Pale, a brown bitter, on cask on the ground floor. I think it may even be listed on some of the old blackboards. The revamp from earlier this year saw a beer engine installed in the basement, serving cask White Gypsy beers first, then some of MM's own when the brewery was recommissioned. Last I was in, as I said, the engine was on the first floor bar. MM Summer Berry Weiss was the beer that day.

Edit: Here's Melissa the head brewer pulling me a pint of their Pale Ale in the basement bar a few months ago:
    mmcask.jpg

All eight places I've mentioned that have cask beer have cask beer. Irish cask beer, for the most part.

• Advertisement

Usually yes. Though contrary to what noby says, last I saw they'd moved the beer engine to the first floor, on the left-hand end of the bar.

I stand corrected. I don't get up to Dublin as often as I would like to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I dont know the other pubs, but I do know Messers & I Have never ever seen a real ale on tap (hand pumped). so at this point I think we should clarify what this thread is meant to be about . . . . I am trying to establish if there are any pubs (not necessarily in the City centre) wher you can get a pint of Real Ale hand pumped from the cask, ala all the Ales I mentioned in post #1.

I am not interested in anything on draught or with gas added.

A pint of Tetleys or Adnams would be lovely :)

See this for me is hypocrisy, on one hand you laud the fantastic selection of ales in England and on the other you pine for us to have their selection.

What makes english beers great is the variety, if we just take in their beer then we'll never have a decent real beer culture.

Tetleys is utter ****.

You want english beers go to England, you want Belgian beers then Belgium is the place to be, nobody does Czech beer quite like the Czechs, we're are see really fantastic beer being made in this country, miles better than swill like Old Speckled Hen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

mayordenis wrote: »
    See this for me is hypocrisy, on one hand you laud the fantastic selection of ales in England and on the other you pine for us to have their selection.

What makes english beers great is the variety, if we just take in their beer then we'll never have a decent real beer culture.

Tetleys is utter ****.

You want english beers go to England, you want Belgian beers then Belgium is the place to be, nobody does Czech beer quite like the Czechs, we're are see really fantastic beer being made in this country, miles better than swill like Old Speckled Hen.

Also its hard enough to get people here to drink (and pubs to sell) anything other than Budweiser and Coors L(sh)ite never mind pie in the sky dreams of huge numbers of bars with cask beers.

noby wrote: »
    No clarification necessary for the Beernut, I reckon.

Go down stairs in Messrs. The brewery bar in the basement usually has something on cask.

Nothing at all yesterday, not downstairs, not upstairs, they seem to have stopped serving it! > and this is the point I am making, Yes I love English Ales, can't get enough of them, but I am not travelling to England, Wales, or Belfast just for a pint, and it seems to be hit & miss down here, one week one pub has a cask, and the next week its gone.

I would truly love an Irish real Ale selection in all Irish pubs, thats what I crave, but there are only about eight independent breweries on the whole island, so to fill the void I wouldn't mind some real Ale from the neighbouring island to be sold in Irish pubs, and lets face it Guinness & Magners sell really well in Britain.

No hypocrasy intended, please note 'mayordenis'.

one week one pub has a cask, and the next week its gone.
    But if you're in Dublin there are several other pubs a short walk away that have them. The Palace is almost literally across the street from MM.
    there are only about eight independent breweries on the whole island
    There are 18. Two more are expected this year.
    I wouldn't mind some real Ale from the neighbouring island to be sold in Irish pubs
    The Bull & Castle occasionally has Hobgoblin, but their beer engine mostly serves Irish cask beer.

I'd love a pint in Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Killiney, Bray, or Dalkey, the City centre is too far to go :)

PS; Oz Clarke & Hugh Dennis (BBC HD) said there were about eight independent breweries in Ireland, and that there was one giant player in the Irish market (Deagio I presume) who kept a vice like grip on what beer sold in the pubs, hence the poor selection, but maybe Oz said eighteen?

I'd love a pint in Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Killiney, Bray, or Dalkey, the City centre is too far to go :)
    Closer than England, though, eh? Chin up.
    Oz Clarke & Hugh Dennis (BBC HD) said there were about eight independent breweries in Ireland, and that there was one giant player in the Irish market (Deagio I presume) who kept a vice like grip on what beer sold in the pubs, hence the poor selection, but maybe Oz said eighteen?
    Or maybe they were completely wrong on all fronts due to poor research. There are two giant players and neither of them have much of a grip on what's sold in pubs: it's all decided by the free market. If the pubs in Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Killiney, Bray, or Dalkey reckoned there were drinkers to buy cask beer, and knew where to get it, then they would sell it. Bray has a pub owned by a brewery that makes cask beers, but it doesn't sell cask beer because it doesn't reckon there are customers for it.

The Bull & Castle occasionally has Hobgoblin, but their beer engine mostly serves Irish cask beer.

Trouble Brewing Ór, dry hopped with Cascade, at the moment. Sounds good for a sunny summer Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

mayordenis wrote: »

It's typical CAMRA bulll****!!! Real ale or nothing!!

Personally though I'd love To try Ór or Galway Hooker on cask with lots and lots of Cascade in one of these
    http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Blichmann-Hop-Rocket.html

I need to get me one of these!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

All those places are on excellent public transport and you have no excuse for laziness.

But... if you want it in your local, then you have to ask for it in your local, and ask repeatedly, until they get it in.

Advertisement