Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty treatments/ fear of ageing?

Options
  • 28-07-2011 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭

I am in my late forties the only things I have ever had done in a beauty salon have been, eyebrow waxing and I recently got my toe nails painted in a saloon. I don't think about my age or appearance much I haven't got that sort of personality and because I think life is what it is and you just get on with it, I don't use anti ageing creams in fact I think they are hilarious! I don't understand the fear of wrinkle/ageing that some women have. What is it about? because no matter what treatment you have no matter how well you look you can't turn back time if you are 49 now you will never be 29 again so why bother with trying to fill in your wrinkles etc.

Why is it that for so many women their looks are and their ability to attract a man is inextricably linked to their self-esteem.

I have friends that range from 32 to 50 and only one is very glamorous and regularly get things done in a salon, the rest are not interested /don't have the money.

The salon I go to, regularly has botox session for clients and the owner of the salon said to me you would be amazed how popular they are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why is it that for so many women their looks are and their ability to attract a man is inextricably linked to their self-esteem.

I'm a bit confused, especially by this part of your post - are you asking why do women get treatments done, period? Or are you saying why do women get treatments done because it's obviously for the benefit of men?

If it's the latter then I'd wholeheartedly disagree.

I get various different treatments done on a fairly regular basis - I get a pedicure done every 2-3 weeks, I go for facials every few months and might get my eyebrows shaped and my lashes tinted while I'm at it, I'll get various parts of me waxed and stripped and maybe even tanned if the typically one-day Irish summer has failed to produce any quality bathing opportunities for me.

I'm only 31 now but I can honestly see myself getting the odd botox treatment when I'm a little older - I've no major lines or wrinkles to speak of atm, but it's only a matter of time.

I do none of these things for the benefit of a man, I do them because a) it relaxes me when I have the treatments done b) because pampering myself is a gift to myself and me-time that I feel I deserve and c) I live in a world where - like it or not - I get treated slightly differently the more effort I put into my appearance.

It would be amazing to be able to just fart around all day everyday without putting too much time or effort into my appearance, and it's liberating to do so when I get the chance. Actually if anything when I was away recently in Sth. America working with animals and dressed in wellies and covered in parrot poop all day long it was quite the eye opener to discover how I interacted with people, and they me, without the war paint on. But here, at home, the more care I put into my appearance, the easier it is for me to get on with things on a day to day basis.

But honestly? I do them because I like to. Pretty feet give me a happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I know people do some of it because it is relaxing and it is a nice environment, its nice to look after you self.:D

I am talking about women who have treatment that are are anti ageing why do some women want to anti age!! any way ( not all women ) Why the fear of looking your age/being a middle age women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Why the fear of looking your age/being a middle age women.

Ah, ok :) Sorry if my post above comes off as being a little defensive in that case, I sometimes feel like I have to justify being a woman and doing (stereo?)typically "women" things :o

I would love to embrace getting older, really and truly would love to, but it's a bloody hard thing to put into practice. It's not difficult to see that women just get treated differently as they get older, and it's hard to fly in the face of that and say you don't care. Even the older women who are lauded for their graceful ageing process are - in fairness to them - looking phenomenally good and are equally praised for their looks albeit without surgical enhancement as for their talent. Judi Dench and Helen Mirren are the obvious examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'll always make an effort, right now I look like I drink from the fountain of youth, was ID'ed until I was 25/26. I hope to stay young and beautiful forever. It's important, like in the song, if I want to be loved.. :p

If I ever look like the oul biddies on the bus I'll shoot myself.

Just because you're over 50 doesn't mean you have to dress in the most shapeless, dull, unadventurous clothes imaginable from Guineys. wear no make up and get those awful fluffy cropped haircuts. You know the ones... Ok, so you've hit menaopause, you can still hang onto your femininity and make an effort. Take care of yourslef and get pampered - you deserve it! Even more after the kids have flown the nest.

Look at Kirstie Alley

article-2018786-0D29C67D00000578-981_468x471.jpg

She's 60!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Personally speaking if I though it was desirable to look like Kristy Alley when I was sixty I would kill myself ( joking )

Seriously do women think she is a role model for 60year old women.

Being happy with you age and appearance is the same as being sexy, a lot more to do with you mind than what you look like/wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

For me, like g'em, it's just about making an effort to look well - not fear of ageing. I wouldn't get botox as I don't like the idea of such a substance being injected into my skin, but I regularly moisturise the bejaysus out of my skin with a SPF moisturiser. I have some white hairs so I dye them - black, my natural colour. I do not think the salt and pepper look is good - especially on a young or relatively young woman. If I look 50 when I'm 50, grand, but I will be rocking the nice clothes and make-up and hair... there'll be none of that "You're middle-aged so you have to look middle-aged [whatever that is]" sh1te. And if I still have the legs and bum, I'll damn well wear a short skirt.

The only beauty treatment I regularly get is a bit of waxing, but an occasional treat of a facial/manicure/pedicure in a salon/spa is a lovely way to spend some of the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

People like to look presentable for all sorts of reasons. Attracting the opposite sex could be one. Simply having a nice appearance to people in general (even people you have no interest in romantically - friends etc.) could be another.
    Work could be another - in some jobs people are required to look smart. You occasionally hear of large organizations hiring image consultants for their staff. Personally, I think that's a bit offensive, but it illustrates the principle that appearance at work is considered important by employers and people, knowing that, will want to impress their employers.

I think only some treatments are worthwhile for actually changing your appearance. For example dying/cutting your hair, wearing makeup, getting waxed, diet/gym will actually change a persons appearance in a noticeable way. Others are purely therapeutic e.g. having a massage or something. That's fine too as long as the person is realistic about the fact that they are just going to have a relaxing hour, but not look any different. But the ones I really have a problem with are the ones that claim to change your appearance using "science" that is not in any way proven. For example super expensive moisturizing treatment that in reality is not any better than supermarket own-brand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

The reason is because women are supposed to attract a partner. Men and women evolved in the way we did so that we could (and, indeed, because we could) attract a partner and mate. Attracting the best possible partner is important to produce healthy offspring and carry on the race etc. The best offspring come from partners with good genes and, therefore, we look for signs of people who have good genes and are healthy. Things like shiny hair, healthy skin/nails, toned body, good posture, symmetrical features etc. are considered attractive because they are the signs of good breeding stock. They usually come from our genes but occasionally we can cheat and enhance them with treatments - serum to make hair look healthier, eyebrow shaping to make our faces look more symmetrical etc.

Of course, the evolutionary 'men and good breeding' view is a little simplistic and doesn't answer everything. Not all women want to have babies. Some women are attracted to women so the 'attracting a man' explanation doesn't make sense there. So, although they are part of the reason, men are not the only reason we pamper ourselves.

It's been proven that attractive people are more likely to be considered more intelligent, friendlier, more capable etc. When shown pictures of two individuals - one very attractive, one less attractive - and asked which is smarter/nicer/would be better for a job, people will usually choose the more attractive candidate. So making ourselves more attractive (be that by using treatments to change our appearance or by doing things that make us feel more attractive) can also help to give a good - all important - first impression. Most of our subconscious decisions and assumptions about people are made within the first 10 - 30 seconds of meeting them. If the chance to talk doesn't present itself within that time then someone's first impression of us may be formed based on looks alone. So doesn't it make sense to look one's best?

Women take care of their appearance is because it makes them feel attractive. Feeling attractive gives us confidence and confidence affects the way we carry ourselves and interact with others. It helps us in all kinds of situations whether that be going for an interview or going on a first date.

The ability to attract a man is an important factor in women's self-esteem but there are also numerous other reasons why we try to look our best.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi, I'm not sure if I have the correct thread!
    Has anyone tried Mycells, Platlet Replacement Therapy as an anti-aging treatment?

Tnks in Advance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Posting in older threads is usually frowned upon. So called zombie threads(the ultimate anti aging, though requires eating braaaains :)). You may get better answers in this forum Fashion and Appearance

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement